Universe Classic 2.0 Dropshot & Overload

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Resources Database Submissions' started by StarscreamKills, Feb 23, 2009.

1. StarscreamKills

StarscreamKills TF Shrink

Ebay:
    Dropshot and Overload fall into a category that I call “fire support technicians” because they are a class of warriors whose main job is to provide the base of fire for the maneuver element/assault force of their respective battle forces. Both come from a similar mold of self-propelled artillery which I have not seen in pictures or real life.

Dropshot’s and Overload’s main weapon system seem to be long-distance missile launchers. With the use of Cyber Planet key-like device, their missile launcher arms unfold to reveal a large, long-range cannon on one side and a double-barreled machine gun on the other that augments their existence missile launchers. This seems to allow them to perform an anti-tank gun function as well.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0122.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0098.jpg

As a rule, self-propelled artillery does best when it cannot be directly fired upon by enemy forces as it lacks the nimbleness of infantry and the ruggedness of tanks. Most likely when this becomes a threat to Dropshot and Overload, they morph into robot mode to both attack and defend themselves.

Both Dropshot and Overload come with a heavy blaster rifle, which when compared to their larger armaments seem redundant as they can’t hold while all their special weapons systems are out. It’s highly likely they use this weapon in the large anti-tank cannon arm against closer enemies as though the anti-tank gun is powerful, it can prove unwieldy for the quick changing realities of the battle field. In my pictures I swapped out Overload’s rifle for Dropshot’s as his original green one doesn’t contrast as well against his body as Dropshot’s.

Dropshot and Overload will be introduced individually in following posts to highlight the merits and growth edges of each.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0118.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0092.jpg

Terrain piece conceptualization, design, and construction by Terrain Engineer William Foreman. Bill has some exciting existing pieces in stock as well as being open to make custom/made to order pieces, from small odds and ends to complete dioramas minus your figures! Only your imagination is the limit!

To see other pieces by Bill and/or to contact him, please visit: Miniatures Unlimited - Creator of War Game Scenery and Terrain. or at Photobucket: battletable pictures by scuzime - Photobucket or Youtube: YouTube - terrainaholic's Channel

2. StarscreamKills

Ebay:
    Universe Classic 2.0 Dropshot

Dropshot is cast as a cantankerous Decepticon warrior who is always itching for a fight, and by the levels of his Tech Specs it is plain he can certainly hold his own! Due to his desire to inflict damage and show his power at every turn, it shouldn’t be a surprise that Dropshot is actually higher up in the Decepticon hierarchy (i.e., leadership) than his form and function would suggest (i.e., a fire support technician). Most likely it is best thought that he’s a section leader of the Decepticon’s base of fire section in any battle force he takes part in.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0105.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0119.jpg

Dropshot has some impressive Tech Specs that are as is follows:

Strength: 10/Superb
    Intelligence: 7/Exceptional
    Speed : 9/Superb
    Endurance: 6/Good
    Courage: 9/Superb
    Fireblast: 7/Exceptional
    Skill: 9/Superb

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0108.jpg

With Tech Specs like this, we can probably assume a few things such as these:

1. Dropshot can handle himself in a fight, both close quarters and at a distance. He has a high Strength Stat and Fireblast, which means he can inflict some serious punishment on an adversary. With his Superb Skill Stat, he can place fist and missiles just about anywhere he wants.
    2. He has a moderate level Endurance Stat (i.e., the Good range), which seems to validate my earlier opening statement about self-propelled artillery being vulnerable to direct attack. A challenge Dropshot will have in combat is sustaining the kind of damage necessary to last throughout the fight and – considering the damage he can inflict – he’s going to be a prime target for the Autobots.
    3. He has a really high Speed Stat (i.e., the Superb range), which is something I didn’t expect. I guess he’s very good at quickly getting into position to support his teammates as they assault Autobot troop positions.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0120.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0109.jpg

Aesthetically, this is a beautiful figure. He is easy enough to morph into his alt mode (and back) and seems pretty durable as though all that back and forth isn’t going to affect him much. The color tones are ones that I enjoy as I’m more taken with the desert camouflage look. The tan and browns are wonderful on him, which causes all his details to show up exquisitely on my pictures. As you will see with Overload, his same-color heavy blaster rifle doesn’t do him any favors and I had to switch it out with Dropshot’s to accentuate it against his green armor.

The figure also has great articulation at the knees, elbows, waist, and head as well as leg-hip joints and the shoulders. His bulky tread-calves did make impossible for me to put him in a kneeling shooting position, but then again imagine doing even this with a G1! This is great figure that you can find on the cheap in this market. At a local chain store where I live (i.e., Meijer), they’ve knocked down all Universe Classic 2.0 Voyagers to $14 – ooh! I already have them all!!! 

Terrain piece conceptualization, design, and construction by Terrain Engineer William Foreman. Bill has some exciting existing pieces in stock as well as being open to make custom/made to order pieces, from small odds and ends to complete dioramas minus your figures! Only your imagination is the limit!

To see other pieces by Bill and/or to contact him, please visit: Miniatures Unlimited - Creator of War Game Scenery and Terrain. or at Photobucket: battletable pictures by scuzime - Photobucket or Youtube: YouTube - terrainaholic's Channel

3. StarscreamKills

Ebay:
    Universe Classic 2.0 Overload

Overload is a remake of the Dropshot mold and a reissue of the “red giant” Armada figure. In the Armada series, Overload was LITERALLY the flattest character (reference in literary theory to a character that is undeveloped and/or devoid of personality) in the whole series – he was either on his back or a weapon system that Optimus Prime Super Mode (or Powerlinx with Jetfire) strapped on to himself. In this incarnation, Overload has a more existential quest to discover himself apart from being Optimus Prime’s version of “Say ‘hello’ to my little friend” as well his true origins. In short, he’s become a knee-jerk reaction to being a “flat” character in the Armada series to become a stand-on-his-own type of guy. He’s also cast as a loner, taking down any Decepticons he runs into.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0126.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0110.jpg

Overload also has some impressive Tech Specs that are as is follows:

Strength: 7/Exceptional
    Intelligence: 6/Good
    Speed : 3/Average
    Endurance: 9/Superb
    Courage: 8/Exceptional
    Fireblast: 9/Superb
    Skill: 3/Average

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0111.jpg

With Tech Specs like this, we can probably assume a few things such as these:

1. Overload is very strong (i.e., Exceptional range Strength Stat) and extremely powerful in long-range combat (i.e., Superb range Fireblast Stat). He does have a handicap in getting these attacks to hit his foes with his low Skill Stat (i.e., Average range).
    2. Overload is also cast as being more of a meandering movement with his low Speed Stat (i.e., Average range), but unlike Dropshot he can take the punishment with his Superb range Endurance Stat.
    3. Overall from a Tech Specs perspective, Overload’s challenge in combat will be hitting his targets. He has the staying power through his high Endurance and Courage Stats (the later is in the Exceptional range), but that Skill Stat necessitates him putting a lot of ordinance down range.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0102.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/StarscreamKills/IMG_0113.jpg

Aesthetically, he is also beautiful figure and fun to shoot (w/ camera). He is easy enough to morph into his alt mode (and back) and seems pretty durable as though all that back and forth isn’t going to affect him much. While I do not enjoy this coloration as much as Dropshot’s, it has grown on me. However, I’m considering switching their heavy blaster rifles on them as the brown looks much better on Overload (the green isn’t bad though). See more under Dropshot to understand where I’m coming from with this…

The figure also has great articulation at the knees, elbows, waist, and head as well as leg-hip joints and the shoulders. His bulky tread-calves did make impossible for me to put him in a kneeling shooting position, but then again imagine doing even this with a G1! This is great figure that you can find on the cheap in this market. At a local chain store where I live (i.e., Meijer), they’ve knocked down all Universe Classic 2.0 Voyagers to $14 – ooh! I already have them all!!! 

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
  5. StarscreamKills

Ebay:
    Oh great Sol Fury! :bowdown: 

As said in the DD Brawl post above, thank you so much! We hope to produce more good shoots like these to fill out the resource section.

For a number of reasons, I got a number of really cool figures (@ least I now gather that) very quickly (>3 months) from "out of production" lines. Part of this is a passion I had since 18 to make a TF wargame, so I wanted a lot of game pieces with a wide variety of Tech Specs to be able to throw as many possible variations as possible against the rules. This is also why I have the continuum based for the Tech Specs based on "1-3/Average" being a human being or a Cybertron neutral. Enough on that, but please feel free to post or PM me if there are ones in the resource section you'd like me to fill out.

For example, I have the Universe line Ramjet (an Armada Skywarp repaint) with his four Minicon pals. I paid high, but did get a display-only model that is a C8+ loose figure. I think of him like a Spacecraft Protoss Carrier that's always deploying the drone fighters as I see the Minicons as constantly coming back and going out from him in a fight. I call the Ramjet + 4 Minicons "Airwing" and give him a special role name of "Minicon Carrier" among others. He's one of the nastiest of Decepticon warriors because he makes multiple Minicon attacks each game sequence in addition to his normal attacks (not to mention not just one but four special Minicon powers!). Like the Protoss Carrier, you have to discipline your fire to take him out to get rid of the Minicons.

Another point: I want to tell more stories in my pictures that feature a distinct model/toy. I will also do non-story shots, but (for example) I have a three Legends Class shoot I did last night on a spur of the moment and to blow off steam from a school paper that features the new Wheelie, Cosmos, and Brawn. Wheelie meets the Dinobots (like the 80s movie) and rides Grimlock, Brawn fights (and schools) Cybertron Ransack, and Cosmos retrieves some energon before getting torn up by three Terrorcons which he delivers to Optimus Prime.

Let me know what you want and I can do a bunch of each. I upgraded my Photobucket to "pro," so I've got lots of room to help! You helped me, how can I help you?

6. StarscreamKills

Ebay:
    Oh BTW Great Sol Fury :bowdown: 

I have most of the SWTFs and can do good shoots of them, including the new Captain Rex/AT-TE who I've renamed "Ground Pounder" (it's an odd feeling being in a battalion of Marines on a 27 kilck forced march on either earth or highway! "THUMP!THUMP!THUMP!THUMP!THUMP!THUMP!" really fast - an eerie sound!) and the V-19 who I call "Sky Schism."

[The ARC170s - "Redline" & "Sharc"; Republic Gunships - "Free Ride" & "Vector Lift"; TIE Bomber - "Trebuchet" as he's the fire support tech of the group; Commander Cody/Turbo Tank - "Turbo"]

Let me know if you want those too...

7. StarscreamKills

Ebay: