Minor/Repaint: Universe BM Jetstorm and Tankor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by unicronsupreme, Jan 28, 2010.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    Classiverse BM Jetstorm and Tankor

I had 5 spare Cyclonuses (Cycloni?) sitting around, so I decided to start repainting them. I looked into jets with reversed wings and found the G2 Cyberjet colors which would have been far too difficult for me to paint. I stumbled upon my memory of Beast Machines Jetstorm who happened to be perfect. He even has the weird ear things so I didn't have to modify Cyclonus' head. To keep with the Beast Machines theme I made Nightstick into Tankor. I know neither of these are in the show colors. I based them on the deluxe Jetstorm and mega Tankor toys respectively. Tankor has a halfway reasonable tank mode as is and I may end up adding som treads later. I used Gamesworkshop codex grey for the base coat on both and Jetstorm was painted with regal blue, golden yellow, mithril silver and blood red. Tankor was mirthril silver, gore red and chaos black.

edit: they were also both brushed with a layer of 'ardcoat once all of the initial paint coats were dry.

Edit: added pics of hover mode.

Attached Files:

2. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Looks cool!

3. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

i really dig his bot mode colors, but the starfighter mode's wing are too busy to look at

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think that the paint needs just a little attention in some areas, but I REALLY love this concept. You've made the design work really well for the mold also! I think I'd also suggest a different head, or at least a modification to this one. Overall, this is an excellent custom! We need more BM customs! :) 

5. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    man that a neat idea
    i like yellow :) 

6. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great idea.

7. caretaker27

caretaker27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    agreed, this is a great idea. i use gamesworkshop paints, and though they work well, i always find that the hardcoat bubbles when brushed on and changes the end look. i havent tried it myself, but maybe a spray or a semi gloss would give your original paint job a better look. again though great idea and nice overall execution.

8. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Thanks!
    I tried to make them look as much like the toy as I could and his wings are painted similarly.

I used this picture for reference. I didn't really attempt to copy the pattern, but just get the general idea across.
    [​IMG]

Thanks, I think the design working so well owes a lot to the fact that cyclonus has a lot of unpainted detail to begin with. It offers lots of room to change little things around. I just wish I had a Vehicon logo to slap on him.

Yeah, the wings could use some significant improvement in the paint department but I went back and forth between blue and yellow covering up mistakes 4 or 5 times which began to get pretty frustrating, and I just got to the point where I thought that it didn't look BAD and that was good enough. I may go back at some point and retouch parts, but I'm reasonably happy with it as it is, mistakes and all.

Head swapping is kind of the bane of my customizing existence. I have lots of idea that would work great with a new head, but I never have a junker bot with a good head around to use and I'm not much into buying lots of TF parts for heads. I kind of agree though, the head isn't perfect, but it does have the perfect shape over the dome for the yellow stripe and it kinda has the funky ears like Jetstorm has, just not floppy. Thanks a bunch for your input, I also wish more people would do BM customs.

Thank you!

Thanks! I didn't really have any problems with bubbles in the hardcoat when I was using it. I do have both semi-gloss and flat spray clear coats but I can't use such things inside and wouldn't dare take my custom outside in the weather here. I did consider waiting on the clear coat, but what always happens when I do that is that I end up playing with the figure and the paint starts coming off, so I figured it was better to just get it over with.

9. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cool idea! jetstorms my fav character from BM

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    That's a neat kitbash.

I give it a thumbs up.

11. Razorrider

Razorrider Well-Known Member

Nice to see a Jetstorm-based repaint, though I think he could do with a mouthplate or something like that. Other than that, a job well done.

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    LOVE the cocept, but Tankor's gonna have a rad time smashing thing in that tiny body :LOL

Great to see BMechs getting some love!

13. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    hmm, ya know? that just might be do-able. I've got some epoxy putty that should be up to the task. Now, I just have to find the time and motivation.

14. NintenPhill

NintenPhill WOO! Japanese Imports FTW

I love the original, and this is the best possible upgrade
    Great job

15. Maloknazh

Maloknazh Black Metal Ist Krieg

Ebay:
    Looks good, Ive always had a thing for Jetstorm

16. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HOLY FRICKIN BALLS!!! if i didn't hate working with that mold when i did my shattered cyclonus, i'd totally steal this idea

17. overbeast.inc

overbeast.inc Well-Known Member

thats a pretty creative and awsme idea!

18. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

You win today

19. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Interesting concept. I would have used the show character as a guide instead of the toy, but overall a great attempt.

the target master partner looks really nice.

20. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I think its cool as hell. The paint job is insane. As for Tankor I think he'll be a hover tank, but if you want to add trends than thats cool. All and all this is sweet.