Heavy/Scratch: Universe Blaster upgrade WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Venksta, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Update - November 6th, 2010 - Final casted parts photos uploaded to post #169. New set break down info.

Please do not bump this thread in regards to preorders. The main purpose of this thread is to show the progress of this kit and get feedback. I am not taking preorders or payments at the moment. If you want to go on a waiting list, head to the following thread to do so:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/commi...9169-renderform-accessories-upgrade-kits.html

Hey guys. Wanted to show the progress of a project I've been working on. Its an upgrade for Universe Blaster, the Cybertron Soundwave repaint. I felt he really deserved a new head, instead of the repaint Soundwave head.

I was originally going to do this project later, but RodimusDawg was looking for a Blaster head for one of his upcoming projects, and so I offered to work with him, as the head could be used for multiple projects easily.

At first, I decided to make a head based off the G1 cartoon, but making it modern looking. I used the IDW Spotlight for some design elements. I designed it to have two switchable faces, G1 toy and cartoon.

[​IMG]

After everything looked good, I had to adjust parts to make sure they were not too small or thin. This ended up widening the helmet.

[​IMG]

Next, the gun. I wanted to create a updated version of the G1 gun. I played around the center hole from the original, and imagined it was a fusion core or something.

[​IMG]

Now, Blaster needs one of his tapes. I had this thought of a super poseable Steeljaw. So I decided to make a small version of it, and sacrificed the transformation for articulation. I based it mostly off one of the mangas, I think called Teletraan Go Go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the look of it in color, completed. He has about 20 points of articulation. Hes going to be expensive to make on shapeways. I originally planned to make the kit available to others from there, but the price won't be worth it. So I might consider a resin model kit, if it turns out good. Hes about the same size as Classics Ravage.

[​IMG]

So now this brings us to a second helmet design. I had two people say that the helmet design I made didn't match the body style. After pondering about it, I decided to make a new helmet and visor to match the Cybertron style body. Below is a comparison with the first helmet, and the rough new one.

[​IMG]

And below is the almost finished version of the new helmet. I will be getting both helmets made.

[​IMG]

Lastly, the guitar I made for Blaster. It has a turnable handle on the back to help pose it with Blaster better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a mockup with the first helmet, gun, and steeljaw, on top of a photo of the toy.

[​IMG]

Feedback appreciated. I will update the thread with more photos and progress once the prototypes come in.

Please do not repost these images outside of TFW2005 or Cybertron.ca! Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

You make such wonderful things, when can I hand you my wallet for them?

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Oh god. Do want. Blaster was my favorite toy as a kid. And I've wanted to see what a proper upgrade for Universe Blaster would look like. You do not disappoint, Venksta!

4. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Dear good sir, please take all my money. I think you deserve it.

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Another winner!

While I'm happy with the head I have on my current Blaster WIP, this might make me happier still!

I can't wait 'til you start making your designs available!

D/L

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want it Venksta! I wants it now!!!

7. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    BOUGHT! :drool: 

Utterly fantastic job on that man! :thumb 

8. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just had to come back and say who needs Device Label Blaster if ya got this???

Kudos again.

Gimme.

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Love Steeljaw!! Looks super-sweet!! :D 

I have to say... I much prefer the more rounded visor design... sure his body is normally boxy, but the original followed the same aesthetic. Without the curved visor, it just ends up looking less like Blaster.

zmog

10. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Off topic, but any progress on your other wips? Skyfall is onsale at Wal-Mart and I'll pick him up if that head is still in the works.

11. Venksta

News Credits:
    I was idiot and held off from ordering the prototype head for Skyjack. I'm placing the order tonight with the Blaster stuff. Skyjack's "upgrade" is definitely a go, either by me casting it, or through shapeways, if everything else fails. :) 

The Prime and Megatron weapons are on hold for a bit, as I'm figuring some stuff out. But I should have new prototypes done by the end of the month for them as well.

12. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

wow this is very extremely professional
    cant wait to see the head n Leo ;) 

13. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Well i give up. Better leave 3D modelling to the pros, i suppose. :(  :lol 

You considered the new Sandstone material yet? Might not be as durable, but the color can be whatever you like.

14. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I need to go to Wal-Mart and track a Blaster down! :) 

15. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    When wll this kit/upgrade be availible. Where do I go to purchase.

16. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Superb work, I'll make sure to get the whole package from you when it's ready! :thumbs2: 

17. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness....I definitely need a Classics Blaster. And those 3D renderings are just off the chain mang!! I'm more partial to the cartoon head. Why? That kind of nostalgia, ya know. Hmm, I recall RodimusDawg talking about Blaster....if this is for what I think it is, we're in for something grand. :D 

18. Venksta

News Credits:
    Thanks for the continued feedback everyone. :) 

I looked into it. The thing is, the prototypes come out "rough". I want the parts to have a smooth surface, which requires priming and sanding. So the sandstone material in color isn't worth it really. There are some projects I can think of that would be worth doing, especially if you have a texture map done of the model. :) 

It won't fit G1 Blaster's body. I could do a version down the road for it, if theres enough interest. But one project at a time. :lol  This classics version of the head will be available if things work out.

Can't say when this kit will be ready. But keep watching this thread. I'll have the first prototype in 2 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  19. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Truly, these are things of beauty...that pic with the first head design in place is enough to make anyone want to bag one. Top work, mate - anticipating the proto pieces with baited breath! :thumb 

(Don't want to be a pain, but any chance of a 'blue eyes' render? :) )

20. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OMG, i must have that stealjaw. Please make him so i can send you my money, take it, i dont want it any more.