Minor/Repaint: Universe Blast Off

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lintlizard, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Lintlizard

Lintlizard Active Member

Hey Radicons, how's it going? This isn't my first custom, but it's my first one I've posted on here, and one that plenty of people have already done or at least theorized about: Blast Off from Classics Astrotrain.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that Astrotrain has a sort of "space plane" mode in between train and shuttle, so I went with that for Blast Off's alt mode. I tried to use molding putty to give him the booster-toes that he had in some of the old comics, but they snapped off when I was testing them, so those are gone. He's still got AT's heel spurs to help him stand up, and the wings on his back now swivel on a magnet to help differentiate him even more from AT in robot mode.

I'm not too thrilled with how his head turned out, I'm still getting used to using molding putty for anything more than cement.

Anyway, here he is! My next custom is going to be Swindle from Hound, and then when that Spider-man/Iron Man two-pack of Marvel Crossovers comes out, I'll be turning Spidey into Vortex.

Attached Files:

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Cool! I like the bronze color.

3. Lintlizard

Lintlizard Active Member

Actually, it's nothing but brown paint (a shade called Bootstrap Leather, apparently) with a black wash over it. I guess it does look kinda bronze, I hadn't noticed that :D 

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Cool idea, bro! I've been working on one since last summer (on and off) and while it is different than this, yours has its own unique style. I'm not sure about the alt mode, but I love the bot mode and the way you did the G1 styling of it. The head also works great--do you mind if I ask you what you're using for it? (I used a Universe Prowl head, cut off the horns and built it up with some styrene to create a more G1-styled updated head).

Keep up the great work, man. Should we expect a Bruticus out of this in the near future? Can't wait to see what else you do.

5. Lintlizard

Lintlizard Active Member

I'd love to be able to put together a Bruticus, but I haven't figured out how I could connect the figures. Maybe inspiration will hit me once I've got all 5 on my shelf.

The head is just Astrotrain's noggin under some Mighty Putty. Before I painted it, it bore a strange resemblance to the Samurai Pizza Cats =P

6. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

I had that same idea but I thought of using it in a marvel bruticus or something.

I realy like the robot mode on this guy, however with the alt mode I would have kept the soulder pads to help cover the arms. maybe cut a bit of them so they can stay down in bot mode and keep the articulation. but that just me your the one who made this great guy.