Universe 2.0 Disappointment.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aprim, Aug 26, 2008.

1. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

It would appear that some people are fine with their toys falling apart straight out of the package. "Just add a little super glue..." should never be an acceptible term when describing what is needed to make a figure good or not. These are not supposed to be model kits.

2. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've never really accepted the 'just add some glue, dude' comments either. These are children's toys that should be able to withstand being thrown at the heads of siblings, dropped out of second story windows and improptu sandbox burials. As far as joints being too loose and needing some glue for tightness, there are very few parents out there that are going to know that trick which means lots of little Billy's are going to be unhappy with their slumping figure. I had a few loose figures as a kid (most of the Convertors seemed to be loose as hell) and I never really wanted to play with them because of that.

That said, I haven't personally experienced many of the problems I've read about. With the exception of Onslaughts legs and Animated Voyager Prime's waist (both more a matter of poor design than poor QC) I've been pretty happy and lucky with the quality of my TF toys this year. Even my Animated Soudwave doesn't seem to have the tacky paint on the back. I wouldn't say they are as rugged as toys of yesteryear, but some of them are, and most of them can still hold their own against a savage nine-year-old.

3. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The whole line looks like a bust to me. Comparing them to Classics it's just cheap material and cheap upgrades on the figures. In the amount of time we waited I feel they could have done so much more. I might, MIGHT buy Ironhide and call it a day.

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    ironhide's face is a horrible blue...thats probably the only figure that i really would love but i probably might not get, unless i decide to repaint the face silver... i really like the rest of the universe line though...

5. Jericho

News Credits:
    I never had Ironhide as a kid so I want him. It's the best G1-ish mold so.... If I see Bluestreak on clearance I might grab it but they just look so CHEAP it's insulting to the original Classics.

6. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    And the original classics look so much like the shower of shite we got in A/E/C that they're insulting to classics 2.0.

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I think the big problem is that people let their hopes get way too high for Universe/Classics. I mean classics 1 had it's share of problems. I still worry about snapping Mirages waist when I transform him. And Starscream wings.

8. Jericho

News Credits:
    they look a shitload better than Universe. At least Classics didn't look like cheapass plastic. Compare Prowl to Hot Rod and it's night and day. HR looks sturdy and well made, solid. Prowl looks like left over plastic from a straw.

9. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    You are correct. The plastics used in Universe, and even Animated, are second-rate. The only good plastic in Universe comes from the repaints of Classics.

10. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

11. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, look at Prime, Magnus and Hotrod. There was nothing like those in anything before classics. A/E/C were trash and I never bought any.

The Classics brougt me back, before that I only had collected a little Beast Wars, mainly Reissue or O.G G1 collector.

No Movie toys, no alternators no Universe..

The Classics were diffent from any other line before. Sturdy feel, nice updates and great new ideas.
    Universe was a line I stayed away from becuase they were just reissues of trash I passed on the first time.
    Now with Classics tied into Universe they seem to step back on the production of these new molds.
    I like Silverbolt, Onslaught and maybe powerglide but thats it.
    Of corse Ill buy the ones I like but I wish they had the same feel and look.

To me its a rush job to get us to buy some weak reissues and though us some new molds. Blaster was a cop out! So was Blades and any other recolor that tie a G1 name to.

12. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't belive A/E/C was trash, without it we would have never had a Unicron or Primus. We also got plenty of great molds like Evac, the Cybertron Def. Team and Tidal Wave. As for why these new figures feel so cheap, I guess you can blame that on high gas prices.

13. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    If it counts, i think voyager Cybertron Starscream is a pretty nice figure.

14. KhaN

KhaN Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oh yea, Im satisfied with the Ultra class figs, but I think they couldve made a better choice than Powerglide

But the classics 1.0 and Universe line are different for sure. 1.0 is better although the universe stuff isnt as bad as some of the other crap weve seen

15. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

16. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, maybe those aren’t "crap" but I just can't relate to those because I never watched the cartoons or had any interest in them.
    If I see a "cyberton star scream" it’s an easy pass for me. Might as well be a Power Ranger
    Primus/Unicron, chasing minicons around…has zero value to me.
    If I see a "cybertron Galvatron" its has no impulse buy factor.

If I see a CLASSIC Galvatron it instantly reaches into my pocket because of the Classic cartoon attributes it should/could have.
    If it doesn’t have them I get disappointed.
    They aren’t all bad but after classic 1.0 I thought we would see even better things. IMO we seen cheeper versions of what they thought we wanted.
    Silverbolt/Onslught should be a combiner. What were they thinking?? Galvatron should be Ultra or Leader class. Powerglide should be a deluxe.

Damn, it makes you wonder if Hasbro has the same guy who works on the website page deciding who gets what class.

I’m just not into some TF toys.
    Maybe the shows ruined it for me or maybe it’s my age.
    I liked the TF Movie but those toys are not for me either.
    I do enjoy animated TF’s and have most of those. But I mainly give them to my kids to play with. Expect my Boxed Grimlock and Snarl! Those are mine.

17. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Shit, did we go back in time? The posts in this thread slagging off the Unicron Trilogy toys and their affront to the greatness and glory of G1 makes me think we all went back in time.

Seafoam and yellow jets: Treadbolt? Isn't that colour scheme based upon your own Air Force's Blue Angels?

Might have to do with the fact cars and planes are the most common and popular alt modes Transformers have, and are easily differentiated from each other. Pure military ground vehicles are less common, judging by the sheer number of Transformers fans who call anything from a jeep to an APC a 'tank'. Seems to me if adult fans are so easily confused by slightly unfamiliar alternate modes, children might be confused by how apparently samey these military ground vehicles are.

Animated is the mainline, you know.

Mainline means the big toyline that supports the weight of the brand with accompanying televisual media. That's where the big money comes from. Universe is a side line to provide product for for customers interested in 'realistic' styled toys. Technically it doesn't have to exist so long as Animated is successful.

19. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    As a collective whole I didn't really like A/E/C that much, but there are individual figures from those lines that are truly fantastic and fit in perfectly with Classics. Cybertron Downshift and Armorhide come to mind first and foremost.

20. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

The quality of Universe feels a bit below that of Classics, but not that much. Streaker, Prowl, and Silverbolt are great homages, Tankor is a cool mold. I can't rag on it that much because it's not that bad. They look good next to my Classics 1.0.