Universe 2.0 Disappointment.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aprim, Aug 26, 2008.

1. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man I had high hopes for this line.

Other then Onslaught and Silverbolt I’m not impressed.
    There hasn't been a release that lived up to the original classics IMO.
    They seem cheep and they easily come apart. My prowls windows pop right off during transformation.

Plus all the recolor’s, like Blaster and blades are bogus to me.

The original Classics are updated to the original G1 series but these new waves seem weak.

Even Galavtron which I couldn't wait for was a let down.
    I hope the next stuff is better.

Anyone else feel like this?

2. Joe1

Joe1 Well-Known Member

i kind of do. i really like the line so far, but it isn't the same "feel" as the original classics

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I do have to admit that so far Classics 2 << Classics 1.

Personally I feel this way because of the stupid forced "realism" rule for Classics 2. Overall the general feel and aesthetic of Classics 1 was way better. These new ones are too similar to the movie line / alternators.

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    100 percent with you. I like the new molds, mostly, but the charm of the original Classics line is about gone. The worst thing about the "realism" rule is how oddly they seem to make exceptions for this or that. Seafoam and yellow jets, red futuristic stealth bombers, blah blah.

The repaint thing is killing me. They're whoring them way too much. Why give us two repaints of Evac in one line? There's already been so much repaint shit from the movie toys, they should cool their jets. But yeah, I know, don't have to buy em and all that, but still....I grumble.

I'm thinking once TF movie 2 toys hit...I might retire from TF collecting, gasp!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I <3 Hasbro but sometimes I really don't understand them at all. They have all these wacky rules that make no sense and can be broken if they want to make something shit. Too many big tanks = mini Galvatron, yet they're fine to pimp out two ultra class white Autobot jets. Must be realistic = no Insecticons, Galvatron is a gray tank etc, yet it's ok to pump out those awful Cybertron repaints.

ARGH.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think that Prowl and Sunstreaker fit right in with the original Classics.
    Galvatron is just too small -the mold should have been bigger.

But, yeah, the repaints are killing me.
    We can't get Takara's Music Label Soundwave minus the electronics as a Universe Soundwave, but we get Cybertron Soundwave recolored as Blaster?
    Whatever.

7. Ktulu

News Credits:
    The Galvatron "too many big tanks" excuse is just pure bullshit, it makes no sense. There's just as many deluxe tanks! What about the endless barrage of CARS AND PLANES? I've never accepted that from day one.

Oh well though, I'm not gonna get *too* nuts over a piece of plastic. Not anymore. It's hard bein a fanboy man :( 

8. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks like the animated line it getting all the creative push these days,
    I love the animated line but its definitely wearing on me. Other then swoop I have no other wants from the line. (And her come the repaints..ie. Skywarp, Bumblebee.)

Something about them being so cartoonish loses me. When your optimus prime comes with water gun you should give him to you 4-5 year old son.

I miss my block figures :)  Powermaster Prime, Headmasters, O.G Comaticons and SUperion. Those may have been bricks but damn.. That was creative IMO.
    They left room for you imagination.

9. Ktulu

News Credits:
    I'm already tired of it too. I've bought up all the ones I've seen. Opened, transformed once or twice, haven't touched em since.

Thing is, I really liked most of them, but I've just had no interest in really messing with them. It's the whole "I need to buy these" thing that hits me in the store, and then once I've got em at home....well, then what? What's the point?

Thus you have my thoughts of perhaps quitting pretty soon. I always said I'd never be one of those guys, but it's making more and more sense. I can like all this shit without having it all. Being a completionist is just not within my means. I've gotta stop trying.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, I feel almost the same way.

I had been chasing bliztwing and others from the line. But when I seen them available I don’t pull the trigger. I think I'm getting out of collecting (at least the new stuff). I don’t know I seem to be blowing money on toys that just aren’t the same anymore.

I do like the classic stuff and original G1 is always my main interest but since the movie came out even Obi-one and Spiderman can transform. It’s getting very cheep.

To be fair I’m always going to collect but I guess it’s just going to be more focused on G1 and not complete lines.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally think the two lines are equally great, for different reasons. None of my Universe toys feel cheap. Yeah, there might be a good amount of repaints, but I think we're lucky to be getting as many new molds as we are, let alone all the one's we either haven't seen, or don't know anything about yet. Plus this line has plenty of variety to pick and choose from.

12. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i really like the universe figures i have so far (wave 1 deluxes and ultras)..they dont feel cheap one bit, they feel great...i dont have many classics 1 figures, as i got the henkei versions of them, mostly....but i think this line is really good too...i like the molds...i guess the repaints maybe too many, and kinda sucky but u cant take anythign away from the good stuff that this line has..personally, i havent found a universe voyager that i really want..blaster/heavy load arent figures i want..i got nemesis prime though, thats a great figure...overall, for me...from wat i have, i love every single one of the universe figures i have..so i totally disagree here...
    EDIT: i dunno if im off the point here, but i wish blaster's alt mode was more G1 accurate..i believe its a cybretron soundwave repaint..i havent seen cybertron, but im a big fan of G1 (im a newbie, and catching up on G1 episodes), and blaster, to me, is a cassette deck, like soundwave..
    also, i wish there was a universe soundwave somewhere down the line

13. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Yes, I really love the new Universe designs, but the quality is not very good.

14. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    some interesting points.

i agree that classics 2 are generally sub par comaped to classics1, they feel cheaper, look cheaper, tankor (and i do like the mould) just doesnt inspire confidence in the same was as astrotrain for eg. prowl seems especially weak, galvatron is a mess but its not all bad, silverbolt is a winner with its simplicity and feels well made.

animated, i love these toys but the only criticism is that i can throw at them is one which isnt really fair as it applies to many. many art forms, not just toys. The fact that a catroon character is present fully formed and very similar to its TV counterpart there is little room for imagination, the G1 bricks for some reason do seem to have more personality (anmated does have personality, probably more so than anything since G1) and 'animating' them to become like the box art or toon makes them more rewarding. G1 did have a lot of imagination and features too, headmaster, gestalts, clones, they were all great ideas. its nice that animated is adding some degree of homage:headmaster, the upcoming (hopefully) clone like 2 pack ice/fire jets, as well as some stylish updates on old favourites.

15. joevill

joevill Well-Known Member

I concurr

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't had anything fall off my Uni Sunstreaker or Tankor, but I will admit Prowls doors do like to pop off easily. But then again, they were designed to do that, so they snap off instead of break off.

As for the repaints, this is Universe, Universe was built by repaints. But at least this go around those repaints are G1 homages and for the most part very good ones. Blades and Dropshot are great molds in superior colors for Universe imo. And I eagerly await the rest of the new molds and repaints we'll get from Universe.

17. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    I too have been disappointed with Universe, but IMO even the crappiest Transformer still has more play value to me than most every other toy on the market.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Overall, Im happy with the continuation of the line but when I saw re-colors of Blaster, I did feel disappointed.

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I agree, there hasn't been a decent Soundwave since G1.

20. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Ya, I only got acid breath and fall-apart so far but I'll let them redeem themselves with cyclonus.....

so what 3 out of 10 they got me to buy aint bad right lol?