Universe 2.0/Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Feb 1, 2009.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Honestly, I think that hasbro instead of doing the universe line should go back to focus on the Classics line I mean the original classics were great toys but now... the classics toys are either repaints or re-hashs of the old toys now yes in alot of cases we needed these toys but wouldnt you rather have hound look kinda cybertronian but still have a part of his old self looking back at you thats the thing I loved about Classics, and now...its just the same toy from the 80's just cheaper and more articulate....

Thoughts Questions Concerns?

2. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    HUH? Your post is confusing. in what sense "Cybertronian" I grew up with the 80s transformers. My memory is a little vague, but Im sure i had a Diaclone Jeep aka hound as well. so the classics are fantastic for me. NO I dont want cybertron-ish looking hound.

3. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Well no im saying that the old Classics toys had a diffrent look about them. Like Classics Megatron.

4. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    if i get what ur saying then i agree. classics 2 looks as though movie style and classic style were combined. they are bringing back the old style though. hound looks like a classic 1.0. but galvy on the other hand fits in more with movie toys

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'd squeeze say Prowl in more with the movie line than I would Galvatron.

6. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Your point? Classics megatron was for the fans. There is NO WAY Hasbro will sell a realistic looking gun/toy in the states. Hence why we didnt get a TRU reissue of G1 megs. the japanese did, but america is retarded.

Hound is different enough for me to constitute the mold. I dont like toys that are far reaching. Like Optimus prime as a lamborghini (see G2 hotwheel thingies)

Homages are just that. the designers have a difficult job to take something new and make it look like the original. too much and people complain. How far do they dare push the limits of what "IS" Optimus prime? Truck/monkey etc. Cybertron, energon and all those dont catch my eye as much as classics/henkei prime. I like G1 and this is one of the better renditions of Prime, next to THS prime.

too little and people complain. Like ust reissuing toys. some like it some dont.

there is no way of making everyone happy.

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could not agree with you less. (but I'm not sure I even know what your trying to say)

Universe is just classics with a new name hell in Japan they are all the same line. They share the same look with maybe Galvatron being a bit more WTF then the others but on the whole they all share the same style. As for repaints IMO the few their their are are the logical repaints people want guys like Ratchet from Ironhide and Silver Streak from prowl.

As for your point about Megatron while he is not spot on for the G1 toy he is true to the universe concept by having his fusion cannon and turning into a gun. The colours had to change so they could sell him.

if you point is that their maybe staying too true to the old toys I might see your point with Cheetor but with Cyconus its impressive that they got such a cool robot mode into what's a very odd shaped jet and guys like Galvatron and the bigger toys like Onslaught and Power Glide prove that while some are close most are not.

As for guys like Over Load and the store exclusive repaints well remember its only a filler line I'm suprised it contained so many new toys for what's a just something to make a bit of money

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There is something different about Hound, I'll give you that. he doesnt fit in with the other designs from Classics OR Universe. he's got soft edges, and a headsculpt which is pretty much a 3D version of the show model's head.

But I like that Hound is different.

Both lines fit together well. the only differences that really stand out to me are the occasional automorph feature, and that waist articulation is more common now. in classics, only prime, grimlock, and mirage had waist articulation. it bugged me.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I thought Universe was simply the original Universe and Classics line merged together? Take a look at Acid Storm, a classics mold yet sold under the Universe banner.

I don't understand your use of Hound as an example of how you want him to be a bit more "cybertonic". It's Hound, he's a Jeep Hurricane concept, and he's everything his old toy was and wanted to be. And he comes with Ravage, who's a cassette.

If by "cybertonic", do you mean those circuitry type stickers like on G1 Prime's arms? I personaly think most toys look better without that kind of stuff now.

10. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    You all are maybe thinking about this WAY too much! Hound, Prowl etc are updates of G1 bots, yes. So they homage them, but Galvy, Cyclonus and company do too. They just may take on more of an "alien" look (i.e. 07movieverse) simply because their G1 counterparts were much more so than the OG bots/cons.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I think that they all fit together pretty well. There is no mistaking who each individual represents. Prime is Prime, Cyclonus is Cyclonus. As many have stated, new molds cost money. Most of them are designed to have a repaint....or 3. I do think they went overboard with repainting voyager molds into obscure existing characters.

12. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

In my two cent opinion is that I like the Classics and Universe line because seeing some old characters in a more modernize way is cool. Some were awesome while others..well you get my point. So its a love/hate relationship in a way, but I'll still buy them.

13. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

My collection is inclusive of alot of G1 figures right on thru to the current Universe line with the exception of just 1 Titanium figure and only two MP figures. However, I am a total G1 fan at heart. That being said . . . I don't agree that the current Universe line does not coincide with the Classics 1.0 line.

Hasbro said Universe was essentially a direct continuation of the Classics 1.0 line. The reason for putting the Classics 2.0 under the Universe banner was because they wanted the freedom of being able to have a variety of figures and molds under one line. Hasbro stated from the get go of Universe that the line would see new molds continuing the Classics line-up and repaints of existing molds to bring us additional characters.

I think all of the original molds from Classics 1.0 & Universe represent their intended G1 selves very well. Including Hound and Prowl & his mold mates. The fact that almost all of the molds lend themsleves to the ability of giving us other G1 characters thru repainting and/or retooling is fantastic. Although, I will admit Galvatron was the single biggest shortchange of the entire classics line given that he was made a deluxe figure and was quite a departure from his cybertronian cannon mode of G1.

After recently acquiring Universe Inferno I eagerly look forward to everything else we will get from the Universe line before it is put on hiatus. Will we get a Universe Red Alert from the Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold? Will Inferno be repainted and called Hot Spot? Or will Inferno get retooled making way for a Classics Grapple?

Classics 1.0 & 2.0 (Universe) is a fantastic line! The fact that it was all started as simply a filler line yet we've gotten so much from Hasbro for this line is a real treat. I for one appreciate Hasbro giving us the Classics 1.0 & current Universe lines. I will continue to buy the Universe figures I want and like. But I will pass on the figures I don't want, don't like or don't care for (I'm looking at you Leo Prime, Overload & Bruticus). I think we should be fairly grateful and take the Universe figures as a "you can take or leave it" approach.

Sorry for the rant. :eek: 

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i haven't gotten hound and cyclonus, but the rest that i have seem to work together quite well,

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't get the complaint. Classics/Universe is just G1 set 20 years later.

I could do without the lame repaints of Cybertron & Energon molds, but other than that this is best TF line we've ever gotten. In terms of design and engineering, this is the best we've gotten from Hasbro yet.

16. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seconded.

17. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    thirded.

although, i missed cybertron line. i got out of transformers after energon........(nuff said)but got back in once i herd about the movie. so my entire collection of cybertron toys consists of only repaints except for dark crumplezone, optimus primal(brown) and of coarse primus.

universe should go away for ever and we should just get a classics 3.0 line

18. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    They're the same lines to me, so Universe is a welcomed addition.

19. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

In Japan, both classics and universe 2.0 are under the same banner, Henkei! Henkei! Transformers!

So, obviously they're the same line. (but Henkei is better)

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if you like blinged-out arms and seats.