United Straxus - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Timesynch, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I keep seeing this lonely United Straxus at the local Toys'R'Us here in Japan, marked down to 1999 Yen. He's the only United/Generations figure they have available, just chilling/warming on the shelf. I picked him up to look at more than once but always put him back on the shelf.

Not very familiar at all with the character (or his myriad mold-mates such as Darkmount and Skullgrin) or read any of the Marvel comics. But after watching Emgo's video review of him, he does look pretty neat with lots of 3mm clip-on accessories. The pick-axe weapon is unique too.

So is this guy worth it at all? Thoughts? Personally, he looks like a nice nemesis for Generations Warpath, who's dark red as opposed to Straxus's dark blue. What say you, TFW fandom?

2. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    He's a cool figure. Definitely worth the 15 bucks (or 20? not sure of the price with yen exchange and what not). You won't be disappointed sir.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

$25USD in today's exchange rate.

I absolutely hate the toy. It's awful. I bought the Generations version and regret it.

On the plus side, the United deco is a bit nicer. But that's about it.

4. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:

I was never really familiar with the character either, but it turns out he's pretty cool. Also the figure is excellent- at least the Generations version is. If you're itching for a new figure and that's what's available, you could could certainly do a lot worse.. but not everyone agrees and I suppose at that price it'd be a tougher decision.

But I still say go for it, I really enjoy him.

5. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

He was a comic-only character. Basically he was the governor of a city-state on Cybertron called Darkmount. He fits in well with Shockwave, Cyclonus, Soundwave, Sixshot, Starscream, those kinds, hierarchy-wise. Not quite a Megatron / Galvatron, but as close as you get without being a -tron.

His colours varied from issue to issue, in some cases panel to panel. But he was generally a blue / black, with some red highlights, and carried some kind of an axe-like weapon.

As a toy, he’s pretty neat, quite poseable, but then, most of the United / Henkei! / Universe / Classics are.

It’s up to you, but I’m quite happy with him. Oh, and in any episode / comic he might appear opposite Warpath, Straxus would utterly destroy him. But visually, it would look like a cool battle in toy form.

Oh, and I have the United version because his colours match his second appearance. The Generations one doesn't actually match any appearance, but is kind of a mix and match from several.

6. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    I picked him up for 1500 yen 2 months ago and he's a pretty good figure and comic accurate. I'd get it just because it's a good price compared to everything else here in Japan.

7. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I like the Generations version. I remember when it was first released a lot of the commentary was like "GREATEST TF EVER!" and it's nothing of the sort, but nevertheless quite cool. I also have Generations Warpath and agree that the two make for good adversaries. And even if you end up hating the figure, you'll get some nice clip weapons out of it.

8. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the replies, guys! I just liked the look of him as a possible (at least in toy form) rival for my Generations Warpath. My PCC Heavytread is standing in as an FP Bruticus leg while ROTF Brawl is a bit shrimpy compared to the Deluxes, and I liked the idea of tankformer to round out the Cons side.

I think I'll pick him up provided he's still there after New Years so I can use this Toys'R'Us coupon for 1000 Yen off (with a purchase of over 6000 Yen), and save a bit of cash while I'm at it. =)

As for Warpath, I dunno; I have mine packing some serious heat so he might have a fighting chance against Straxus, heh. XD

Attached Files:

9. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    If you pick him up definitely get the United one. The colors are much nicer and more vivid.

Randy

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Straxus IS Darkmount btw (Hasbro version called Darkmount, not sure why. United version called Straxus). :thumbs2: 

11. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I don't know if he's worth the $25 (I believe it's about $25...) but he is an awesome figure, and I don't regret buying him one bit. However, I prefer the Generations version, with the red highlights rather than the baby blue of the United Version.

EDIT: Then again, after doing a bit of research, I actually quite like the United deco. The black eyes, the uni-colored hands...

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone had managed to register 'Straxus' as a trademark in the west, from what I recall. :( 

13. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Pretty fun toy, I like him a lot. He's sort of a tank-former, but done differently. His robot mode is very poseable, he's big, beefy and brawny and he has three C-clip weapons he can lend to other figures. And unlike other, character-specific c clips [like Jazz's stupid speakers or Wheeljack's wrenches] the ones on Straxus\Darkmount\Skullgrin do look right on pretty much anybody else.

14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Straxus of Darkmount, he's a pretty cool figure, well articulated and with 3mm clip accessories you can't really go wrong.

15. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Get him, he's a lot of fun, has a unique head, unique weapon, and good poseability. I have the united one too and he's awesome.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Bonus points for cheezy 80s villian catch phrase:

[​IMG]

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's totally worth it, I'd recommend picking him up.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ We really need a Christmas version of that meme.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If that's an excuse to go buy a Santa Pez, I'm all ears!

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Mercy is not dispensed here fools... only HOs?

It could work for Thundercats too. Thrifty.