United G2 Laser Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Tiller, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't see a thread for this in the index or in the past 10 pages of the feedback thread so I figured it would be safe to make one of these. Surprised no one has done it yet. If they have please redirect me to that thread and lock this one up.

United Laser Prime is probably one of the only United figures that is different enough and doesn't abuse random slaps of shiny paint to warrant a purchase. Tried getting some lamps and lighting working for my lightbox. One of my lights went super nova and burnt out during the shooting though. I'm not the best photographer on here so I hope I covered everything clearly.

BORING STUFF:

[​IMG]

You've probably already have seen this, but the packaging is standard United flair. Explosion death glare and a whole lot of white. Oh and you get a robot inside the plastic bubble! Nifty.

[​IMG]

The back is cool. I think that's poor ol' Lugnut getting sliced and diced. Ouch. Looks like Prime was done taking faces.

[​IMG]

"I'm ok!"

FIGURE STUFF:

[​IMG]

Dig the clear blue, looks much better and doesn't clash so badly in bot mode. As a downside the head doesn't stick out as much with the orange lightpiping. The red on the arms is different than the dark blue of the RTS version. The grey on the shoulders doesn't stick out, and the little dab of red on the kneeguards help break up the black on the legs.

[​IMG]

You can see the orange flames from the back here. The red/orange on the front of the cab reaches up higher than the RTS version. The flame decals are a different shade though as you can see where they end.

Oh yeah and the weird stuff on the elbow? That's blue lightpiping. Looked strange when I snapped the picture. It almost looks like a sticker.

[​IMG]

Some sexy blue sword. I think I prefer the amber of the RTS version, but it's kinda cool seeing the blue sword. Bit of a different take on Prime. Also from here you can see the extra paint work and detail on the arm kibble that later becomes the side doors. The sword was really hard to get into the left hand, but the right was fine. No major stress marks or anything yet, just mold flash on mine.

[​IMG]

The Matrix gimmick-thingy is quite cool, but left unpainted even in this version. It would have been cool to see something there, but its fine. Also some lightpiping in the shoulders. The eye do something really awesome though when you line it up right.

[​IMG]

Upclose with the headsculpt. Really cool and different for Prime. Loving that crown like head detail and the new take on the face shield. Notice the light on the eyes, you can see something in them. However, the blue doesn't stick out as well as the RTS version's amber, thus twisting it at just the right angle...

[​IMG]

..got me to snap that. That's some friggin' jawsome lightpiping man. Also twisting the head more....

[​IMG]

...keeps the death glare following you. Which is a really creepy effect. Seems like pupils moving. Now I don't think it was my reflection because I couldn't get it to work shining light in front of him, the light in the head pictures is coming mostly from behind. Again I never noticed this on any RTS Prime pictures, so it might have been how I set it up or something.

[​IMG]

Moar sword. I do like it.

[​IMG]

If you've seen RTS Prime you know all there is to know about the articulation and range of motion. He can pull off some great stuff with his hinged and balljointed hands. Though the lack of a double jointed elbow and more shoulder range really does hurt the range more than you would think. Drift and Bludgeon have more options I think.

[​IMG]

That doesn't stop him from doing some cool things though. His large feet and ankle joints allow him to balance incredibly well. This was effortless to get him to stand like this and I could even tug around on the cloth I was using to position him better without him toppling over. Dislike the limted range on his knee as well, but he's got surprising amount of leg motion when doing the splits. His Waist joint is almost worthless, but its there. He's got excellent hands, feet and hips, but average knees and arms.

[​IMG]

Vehicle mode is by far the largest improvement. The doors and windows look much MUCH better, and the lack of blue anywhere on the back of the cab is equally as pleasing. Tiny Autobot logo works out, and the tiny silver detail on the metal grate detail breaks up the side much better than the RTS version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the gray plastic on the tank and sword/hitch is less carmel and pearly than the Hasbro one, but don't quote me on that.

[​IMG]

The front grill as you can see here is picked out to go with the blue lightpiped headlights. I think it looks better than the overdrive meltdown look they were trying with RTS Prime.

So that's it. Overall just from picture comparisons I think the United deco and plastic is definitely the superior one by a far margin. Out of the United figures, I think he's certainly the biggest improvement from the Hasbro deco. Is he worth the jump though? If you want the definitive version of the the two, yes it is. If you like the mold or amber color and don't care for the paint apps and the extra cash you fork over for it, the RTS will suit you just fine.

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    damn, just damn, he looks amazing

i want him and i have two RTS primes

3. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

Great write-up and pics! Can't wait to get my hands on this guy :thumb 

4. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice pictures and good and clear review! There's a package winging (actually it's SAL, but never mind) its way towards me from HLJ as we are speaking with United Laser Optimus Prime, Rumble and Frenzy and Scourge... But this one is the one I'm looking forward to the most.
    I've still got a MISB G2 Laser OP laying around somewhere: looks like that will stay MISB longer than this one will.

5. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

After owning the RTS version for a few days, i would say its the better one for robot mode. The orenge light pipeing and sword stick out more to me and give it that "Im gonna kill you!" look. I agree with you 100% the vehical mode though. I dont plan on transforming my RTS one much' the colors are to funky.

6. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    It's always awesome to get a new Optimus Prime, I have been looking forward to this figure and have been thinking whether to pick up RTS or the United version. I think the bright orange color contrasts Prime nicely, but its vehicle with crashing black and blue is horrible. So I decide wtih United Prime, and the blue looks nice too, most importantly, the vehicle mode is way much better. Laser Optimus has all the good joint and can even hold its sword with both hands, the shoulders are lacking though, but it is the result of its transformations.

Like many other fans, I really wish Laser Optimus was a bigger toy, it looks kinda wrong to be so small, and its vehicle mode too looks kiddy...

A good effort and fun toy to play with, could have been better

7. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Awesome, awesome review! Does he suffer from the stress marks in the hands too?

8. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine doesn't. The stuff you see in the pictures is mold flash and not stress marks. However, I also said that the left hand was a really tight fit the first time the sword went in (INNUENDOOOOOO) but after that it's been fine. I imagine this Prime isn't immune to it though.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The vehicle mode is much nicer on the United version.

10. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After owning him for a couple of months, I can honestly say the honeymoon period is over, he's ok, he's a definite improvement on the original but the flames on the hood do not belong on an Optimus Prime toy unless he's from the movies, this seems especially out of place when you consider that they had replicated the red to black contrast on the original figure. This ruins the figure for me and it annoys me that the money for those paint apps could have been better applied to painting the matrix in his chest.

Despite his better articulation, the above issue combined with his duck face stops me ultimately from liking him.

11. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The blue-tinted windows really make a difference. He looks a lot better with them in both robot and especially in his truck form. I find this one far more appealing even though the blue paint for his head, hands, abs, and feet is a bit too bright. The United version really makes this guy shine which I really like a whole lot. Too bad the prices for these is so damn high.

12. Wallas

Wallas The Polish Toy Guy

News Credits:
    I'm still in the making of his full gallery, but let me tell for now, I'm a big fan of the original G2 Laser Prime color scheme and design, so this variant free of dark blue, orange and with better painting was the only option for me, even if it costed me funds for two deluxe TFs (some 32 dollars here) to get him. The energon blue for his piping and sword really make it more G1-esqe and reminds me of the good time when good super energy was glowing blue :) 

For now just sample pics that I managed to do so far, will add more later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, a bonus pic because I just love that kind of photography. This is done using two light sources and no photoshop was involved in getting this effect.

[​IMG]

13. raindance

raindance Experimental

Aw man, the pic with Scourge's trailer is freakin' Rock n Roll. Makes me wanna dig out my Scourge. Damn.
    -rain-

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Picked this guy up a couple weeks ago on a whim. For me, the truck mode is where this thing shines above his RTS counterpart. As others have stated, it would have been nice had they not included to flames. Though he is better than his RTS counterpart, the differences are not significant enough (atleast for me) to warrant the purchase price above the domestic release. Window coloring (both on the front and sidewindows) is a plus, as well as the sword colors. But when the Maketoys upgrade is up, this guy will be displayed in truck mode, and a RTS one will get the upgrade set (hopefully one set will be used for display in both modes though). Defintely not my favorite of the United figures.

15. Wallas

Wallas The Polish Toy Guy

News Credits:
    That's Black Convoy in my case, I'm sort of a Destronger purist when it comes to my RIDs :p 

BTW, you gave me an idea to make this Prime clash with the trailer's owner XD

16. Gen. Hospital

Gen. Hospital Well-Known Member

Since my laser prime was very slightly broken and glued, I got a new one when RK got their restock.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scourge's trailer sure fit nicely on the United G2 Optimus Prime

18. RonG

RonG Prime among Primes

I got the G2 Prime a while back, and it's a solid figure.
    However, as time goes by, it feels less and less like an Optimus Prime - something about the overall "Knight" look, not as bulky as OP should be IMO, etc..

anyone feel the same?