United Frenzy and Rumble (Semi Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by sixpointsinspace, Apr 5, 2011.

1. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got Frenzy and Rumble yesterday and thought I would do a review for everybody who is still waiting for theirs or still considering getting them.

Let me start off by saying I love cassette bots. Always have and always will. I never actually owned the G1 Rumble and Frenzy figures but always wanted them. I have Shadow Warrior from Perfect Effect who I will be doing my primary compare to as far as a Classics Replacement.

[​IMG]

General:

The figures come in standard United packaging. Nice art on front and back. Once freed from the package the first thing you will notice is they are painted really well. The colors look like a dead match to G1 for me. The light blue and dark blue on Rumble (Frenzy if you aren't into the G1 Cartoon identity) in particular looks wonderful. Metallic Silver highlights as well as a few spots of candy red.

Robot mode:

Standard Scout sized figures. The heads are on a ball joint that allows for a lot of look up and down movement which I love. The legs seem perfectly sized to me in person, though I can see why when contrasted with the bulky upper body folks would complain. I personally like the legs. The feet bend upwards so you can put them in the kneeled down pile driver pose. No side to side or backwards movement. Knees and hips are balljointed. No hip rotation because of transformation.

The shoulders click into place for transformation but can be semi swiveled down if you unhook them. Ball joint in the arm/shoulder section. Arms bend at the elbow in two places for transformation which helps with cool arm poses. No hand or rotation movement in the arms. Kibble that becomes the pile drivers and front of the tank hangs on the back of the arm. This kibble can hamper shoulder movement if the guns are attached to the backpack. With them off, its not as much an issue.

The arms can be flipped upside down and the tank parts flip up to become PILE DRIVERS. Love it! The piles are clicked into place like a locking missile and pressing the silver accent on the side shoots them downward. Not very far, but good enough for an awesome effect.

Weapons are on the 3mm clip joints and can be attached to the hands and backpack in 3 places (a couple more if you consider the attached tank guns connection joints).

Vehicle Mode:

They both turn into kind of cybertronian tanks. 4 wheels on the bottom. The gun emplacement on top can rotated full 360. You can angle the 3mm guns however you like. The little front mini gun with "eye" can turn a bit left and right and ever so little up. Standard vehicle fair other than that. Since they can't be cassettes this fits fine for me. The vehicles are a bit on the small side.

Additional Thoughts:

I like the robot modes quite a bit. That said, they are kind of a pain to maneuver in the arm area with the guns attached to the backpack (which is how they appeared most often in the G1 cartoon). Take those off and the arms have a ton more room to move around. The pile drivers are awesome but since they work like a missile, they can get annoying as you accidentally set them off in both modes. Transformation is kind of fiddly getting everything to fit together but is pretty straight forward. They fit well with either Music Label or WFC Soundwave. If you were trying to decide to get these or the Perfect Effect ones its a tough choice. The Perfect Effect are more fun to just fiddle with and are a more appropriate size. They also have a bit better articulation because they don't really do much in the way of transforming so less kibble. I have both sets (the R/F Perfect Effect set is still in my POL but I do have Shadow Warrior on hand) and I plan to display the Perfect Effect with my WFC figures and the United with my Music Label on my Classics shelf. In the end the decision is up to you.

I paid roughly $60 shipped for these guys and I think it was worth it considering the questionable release of these guys as a set in the US any time soon. Being impatient I am happy to pay a premium and have them now with the nice paint apps.

Pros:

+ Looks like G1 but with better articulation
    + Working Pile Driver feature
    + Beautiful Paint
    + No waiting for a US release which may or may not happen for the red one
    + Looks great with Soundwave figures

Decepti - Cons:

- Fiddly transformation
    - A bit bigger size than they should be in scale
    - Pile Drivers "deployment" can become annoying
    - Expensive
    - Limited arm movement with guns attached

Feel free to request pics. If I can help I will. Thanks for reading! :) 

Enjoy the pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SMALL UPDATE:

I noticed that if you rotate the turret so the front smaller turret is facing up it frees up a bit of room for additional arm movement. Not a ton, but enough so it makes a difference. It lowers the length of the guns on the back too which I think looks better. Additionally I noticed that the pile drivers when stored for normal arm mode do click back a tick further and lock in place than I thought they did. Also a side pic so folks can see the profile with and without the pile drivers deployed. Here are a couple additional pics showing those things;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    Great review! I can't believe you got them so much faster than me... >=[

3. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice review mate, plenty of info and pics!

4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I so hope these get an american release

5. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

Nice review and good critique.

Where di you hear the red one might not have a US release???

6. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Thanks for the pics, great stuff :) 

Still not sure I'll pick them up, but feel so much better informed now!

7. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Is it just me, or does the lighting make the aqua on Frenzy look more saturated than it actual is?

If you want them, you might want to be quick about it. They're drying up.
    Another run might happen, like with United Wave 1... but it might not.

8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Wow, those things really look terrible compared to the PE Rumble and Frenzy.:redface2: 

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I wouldnt say that. These guys look cool, can't wait to get them. Any flaky paint? heard alot of United had that problem

10. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    needs more Hyperbole!

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I will be happy to add these guys to me collection once they fill my preorder. If and when the US get's them I will pick those up as well.

12. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review sixpointsinspace! BTW I got my Grapples, so :p 

Anyways they looks great. I love the detail that went into them. They kinda remind me of those experimental drones the military tests out. Somethings straight out of Ghost Recon. :D 

13. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No flaky paint on mine. In fact the QC is great on my set.

None announced so far I guess is a better statement. In fact the release of the blue one is unclear as far as a timeline yet. My guess is both will release but it will be much farther down the road, i.e. after DOTM is finished.

Also, yes the aqua blue is VERY bright :)  It looks awesome and I think makes it worth getting him over the Hasbro releases black.

LOL @ Angelwave :p 

14. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I should've said that these things look terrible to ME....ah well.:lol 

Mind you if these things ever show up over here I'll get them to support the G1 remakes, I just won't go out of my way to get them is all.

15. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

These official ones don't appeal to me either. I think the PE ones are way better.

16. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Nice review. I'll get them because getting the PE versions might be a nightmare for me because of being small and expensive.

17. Delta-Raven

Delta-Raven Well-Known Member

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait!

Thanks for the review! I was going to do one tomorrow when I got them, but I guess you beat me to it :p 

18. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I thought I was gonna feel that way too, but took a flyer on them anyway. And while I still like the PE style ones better (have Shadow here and PE F/R in my POL), these two are actually pretty damn good. They have some kibble, but you can get them into some pretty slick poses, and the head mold is great. They are an interesting take on Frenzy and Rumble and look different enough when one is configured in Pile Driving and one the other with his guns on his back.

PE = Looks better IMO
    Has/Tak = More fun to dink around with

19. [soundwave]

[soundwave] Communications

News Credits:
    One thing why I like about this is that the PE ones look too much like the original G1 figure. I like more of a G1 revamped. :) 

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    One thing I noticed is that the "official" way to transform them is to have the c-clip end of the turret behind their head. But I think if you put the gun end behind their head, it makes the weapons look shorter, and I kinda prefer that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I normally don't base my characterizations off of the G1 cartoon, I have to say that it's hard not to see the blue one as Rumble... Frank Welker just did too good a job of making him the little punk, and the blue is so vibrant. Of course, I could do what the Japanese did and correct the name, make Frenzy the punk, but that's not who Frenzy's supposed to be. He's supposed to be violent and antisocial, so I think the red and black works well for that.

Anyway, I prefer to use the piledrivers on Rumble, cos his gimmick is using massive bass to create tremors, and the guns on Frenzy cos his gimmick is making high-pitched frequencies to deafen targets. So I guess the guns are some kinda amplifier.