UniqueToys Mania King (Galvatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Sep 29, 2013.

1. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    He kinda plays second fiddle now for me since Rioter Despotron arrived. He’s the second in command with Overlord scheming

2. Rasmotron

Rasmotron Well-Known Member

Well, since this has already been Necro'd before I got here...just gonna say:

Things like THIS is why i cant talk to any of you about CHUG/MP debate...how any of you feel justified calling this guy "chug" is beyond me...he has a FRIKKIN L.E.D. for cryin' out loud!

And dont talk to me about "scale" because back when this guy was NEW, he was bigger than any deluxe chug released yet so far.

But, now that there have been bigger, shinier bots released, I guess he just "becomes" chug, retroactively, by comparison...?

Yup, and now I have a headache.

3. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a lot of people consider something chug if it isn't 100% accurate to source material. Be that G1, Armada, IDW, etc.

4. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    My Mania King does NOT have an LED brother. That was only the second release.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Eh? Mine definitely does NOT have an LED.

Yes, bigger than a Deluxe, because he's Voyager-sized. Like Classics Optimus and Megatron. Like Titans Return Galvatron. Like Reveal the Shield Galvatron should have been.

He's similar in size to Hegemon (a tad shorter, actually). I don't think anyone's arguing that Hegemon isn't CHUG, so I'm not sure what the issue you're having with Mania King being CHUG is?

I don't think there's anything retroactive about it. Mania King is and always has been a Voyager-sized Galvatron for CHUG collections. You sure you're not thinking of DX9's Tyrant? That was pretty much the de facto MP Galvatron until Sovereign came along.

Anyway... is anyone looking for a copy? I'm getting out of CHUGs (sorry Rasmotron), so I'm selling my fully-Reprolabeld dark purple Mania King for $50 shipped if you're in the lower 48 of the USA.

• Like Like x 1
  6. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I agree with everything you said there. :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love my Mania King, he's definitely CHUG.

• Like Like x 4
  8. boomerdave

boomerdave Well-Known Member

I just sold mine but it had an LED in the fusion cannon. It was the anime color version. Maybe that's the difference.

9. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yes, that was the second release. It had the LED.

10. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    This guy is chug and always has been! 03617D10-F886-4125-B6F8-5C7155EFDB0D.jpeg My version one doesn’t give a fuck about led lights or toon accuracy! The second Rioter Despotron lets his guard down it’s on!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rasmotron

Rasmotron Well-Known Member

Okay, you guys really need to nail down what you think the definition of "Masterpiece" is.
    To quote Mikeszekely, above:
    "You sure you're not thinking of DX9's Tyrant? That was pretty much the de facto MP Galvatron until Sovereign came along."

So, you're all saying that a toy that "begins" its life span as a "MP" can somehow become "NOT MP" at a later point in time?

Idiocy. Assuming you use the word the same way I do, "Masterpiece" is a STATIC reflection of the of the quality of the toy, NOT a "comparison" by which a toy might sometimes be 'considered' a MP, and sometimes it might not (given the above example, Tyrant "IS a MP" compared to Mania King, but "NOT a MP" when compare to Sovereign. Re-Donc-U-Lous.
    And no, I dont think just because Hasblo puts a sticker on something, that is what defines a "Masterpiece" toy. First MP Megs, anyone? Or the first seeker mold? Or even something like MP Star Saber, who was beautiful to look at, gimmicks worked well, but the QC was SO shitty that this toy didnt become a "MP" until you bought the replacement joint ratchet set and fixed him.

Oh, and FYI, Tyrant IS my masterpiece Galvatron...I LOVE his feet and I'll tell you why:
    Think of the flash-forward scene in the first Terminator movie, where the "nekkid" T-800 is stalking across the battlefield, and the movie shows a close up of it's robotic foot coming down on a human skull and, actuating the pistons in it's feet, it crushes the skull underfoot.
    THIS is what I imagine Tyrant doing...to, say, Titans Return Hot Scrod (see the picture posted by someone above, but instead of Mania King, it's Tyrant.
    <Crush>
    Not my problem the rest of you "adults" seem to have lost your ability to travel to The Land of Make Believe. Oh, and also, LED's and electronics DO make for a more "highbrow" toy (no pun intended), ergo I consider them to be higher quality and thus more likely to fall into the category of what is a "Masterpiece" toy. And calling something that is otherwise an extrememly high quality toy a "de facto" anything is just insulting...implying that be a placeholder until...something better comes along?
    Wow.
    Allow me to refresh your memory...There was like a six-month window after Tyrant was released for purchase and when the reveal for Soveriegn came out...which means, at the time, no one had any indication that there would even be another Galvatron.
    So for you to post-hoc refer to him as "de facto" (implying that you KNEW there would be an upcoming replacement) makes you look like a monday-morning QB poser.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  12. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Erm, you do realize you're not in the tyrant thread here, right? Just thought I'd point it out as that seems to be why you're seeing inconsistency here in what is mp style and what isn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Zawicki

Zawicki Well-Known Member

Ignore him. Not worth the time nor effort. They're toys.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    You're right, actually wasn't arguing with him though, genuinely trying to stear him in the right direction.

Anyway, one day I will probably try to get a mania king, no Hasbro Galvatron fits right on my Chug shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zawicki

Zawicki Well-Known Member

I feel you, I've always wanted Mania King but never took the plunge.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's not what anyone is saying. We're saying that Mania King, who you ranted about earlier, is and always CHUG. I suggested, apparently correctly, that you were thinking of Tyrant, who is an MP that many board members either skipped for our replaced with Sovereign. That didn't mean that Tyrant became CHUG, it simply means that Tyrant went from being the only MP Galvatron to the less cartoon-accurate MP Galvatron. And since cartoon-accuracy is big around here, some people considered Sovereign an upgrade. Other didn't, and that's fine too.

Considering that your definition apparently doesn't take scale or aesthetics into consideration and apparently excludes actual official Masterpiece toys, your definition appears to be, "whatever the hell I feel like it." Now, to be fair, if you want to put Mania King in with your MPs no one is going to come to your house in the night and move him. But don't act surprised if our definition of MP and yours don't match.

The only thing insulting is your attitude. Perhaps you're not clear on the definition of "de facto"? It means that something actually it especially is, even if it's not formally recognized as such. Saying Tyrant was the de facto MP Galvatron before Sovereign means that many people were buying Tyrant because he was the MP Galvatron. Saying that he's not the de facto MP Galvatron now doesn't mean he's not an MP Galvatron anymore, just that Sovereign is the MP Galvatron in many people's collections now.

That's not at all what's implied. See above.

Yes, and that happens pretty frequently. Now, that's not to say that everyone who buys a toy will replace it every time something subjectively better comes along, but there were people who replaced Tyrant with Sovereign. Sometimes people buy a figure expecting it to be a placeholder; figures like Chigurh and Sworder are regarded as the best (or only) options for MP Astrotrain a and Sandstorm. Both take a lot of liberties with the characters, though, and many owners expect to buy another version if someone else comes out with more cartoon-accurate options. Sometimes they buy a toy thinking it'll be the only version the ever need and something better just happens to come along, like the people dumping their official MP-11s in favor of Maketoys Meteor.

• Like Like x 3
  17. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Over the years I have regretted buying a lot of 3rd party figures. Mania King is not one of them. I bought him when he first was released on pre-order as a matter of fact.
    I still absolutely love the figure and highly recommend it. He IS Galvatron to me.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I liked Mania King so much, I got the original version and then upgraded to the more show accurate version later.

(Anybody who wants the original version, HMU... I actually like the vibrancy of the colors better)

19. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    CHUG has more to do with scale than anything else. I mean, MMC Overlord is a CHUG figure and that's a frickin' masterpiece of a toy. ManiaKing just doesn't fit with the "Masterpiece Transformer"s scale, and it never did. When I bought it it was clearly the best Galvatron figure available, but there was never any question that it was going to command my Deluxe-scale Decepticons because it would look ridiculous with larger toys. It's barely the size of MP lambor. It's not even a "tweener" size, like BoldForms Gladius, that could conceivably be shoehorned into either an MP or a CHUG display; it's obviously designed to only fit with CHUG figures, not just in terms of scale but also aesthetics.

When people say something is a CHUG figure, that's not dismissing it as qualitatively inferior, it's speaking to which collection it is designed to blend into. Basically, in the TF collecting community, "Masterpiece" (with the capital "M") is a term of art referring specifically to toys that fit in with the style and scale of existing official MP toys. And frankly, if you hang around the boards, you should know that instead of getting all indignant as if people were downing the toy itself. As you can see, even years later ManiaKing is pretty much universally praised.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. robh

robh Decepticon

Ebay:
    to be fair, a lot of people around here are like "eww CHUG", but "usually" that stems from a "damn it won't fit in my collection" than a "that' figure's terrible". It used to mean a re-envisioning of a character and size-class, but it's pretty much evolved into just size-class, since a lot of 3Ps have released some "MP quality" CHUG figures.

• Like Like x 1