Unique Toys War Hawk Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by nihilist98, Feb 13, 2013.

1. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Hei a fellow Zero Hedge reader.

2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Actually most people who speak good English in Singapore tend to be professionals. All Singaporeans though are very good in Singlish (look it up).

3. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for this review.It helped me make my mind up very quickly.I'll be sticking with MMC.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think they Publish several Daily News Papers in English. it's an Old British Empire stomping ground after all.. heck even main land china still has some English addresses (not to mention Japan all be for slightly different reasons).

But all that aside - yes it wouldn't be to hard to get some people to proof read their boxes before they print them regardless of who it is what language they speak or where they are located there's plenty of trustworthy Transfans happy to help who can keep their traps shut if asked to do so.

5. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    We don't----don't expect Takara to, either. That's why Takara presumably farms-out the English on their packaging to people who do, and they have far less Engrish that way.

6. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    I'm still baffled that they managed to get one "o" right, but not the other one.

NOT that that has any bearing on whether or not I'll get the figure. Heck, if the rest of them turn out great, then maybe I'll end up with two Predakings.

For now, though, I'm sticking with MMC, simply because of their track record (but that could easily change if their Divebomb turns out to be trash, which I doubt, but it isn't impossible).

7. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Unique Toys War Hawk - Quick Photo Review

Hey All,

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring on UT Warhawk. I'm going to evaluate him with a few simple bullet points and some pics.

My thoughts below, followed by pics(sorry for the rushed pics):

Aesthetic/Sculpt: 10/10 This thing is PURE G1 and I absolutely love it for it!! The head sculpt is strong and simple, LOVE IT! Oh, those chunky, blocky bots!

Plastic Quality: 9/10 Overall the plastic quality feels decent, maybe a little thin in some areas, if you've handled (early) MMC bots, you just need to pay attention to what your doing in some areas. Also, let it air out. It might have been packaged quickly after production, mine had a stronger than usual plastic/petroleum odor. Mine's been out for a day and is fine now.

Joints and Construction: 10/10 Really solid joints and hinges. Tolerances are not too tight or too loose. The foot hinge, however, could stand to be a bit tighter for dynamic poses.

Fit and Finish: 8/10 This is were most will notice some small issues with War Hawk. He's got a few visible seams, the front of the legs for instance. He's also got some sprue flash in a couple small areas, nothing major and can easily be trimmed with an x-acto blade. Lastly, some of the fitting, particularly the precision of how the individual feather bits peg on the wing, can be a little wonky. Make sure they are pegged into place properly and you're good to go!

Paint: 8/10 For the most part excellent, there are a bunch of nice little mechanical bits that have been hit with silver or gold paint. There are some minor issues on the front of his chest, mine was much less than others I've seen. In fact I almost just left it as is, it really wasn't too bad. But I went ahead anyway, took me 10 minutes to fix. I will post a tutorial in this thread if folks want it. Anytime you try to paint a light color (yellow in this case) over a dark it's very difficult to get adequate coverage. So you might notice some thin areas or even some tiny paint chips.
    Again, it's minor and I'm hoping that most won't have this issue.

Articulation: 7/10 I think for most fans, this will be more of an issue, but I think he has PLENTY of articulation for my needs. You can still get some great dynamic poses out of him.
    Things he has (modern articulation): Head on ball joint, Waist and Thigh swivel, legs at hip on a ball joint, wings can be posed.
    Things he's missing (modern articulation): Ankle Tilts, Wrist and bicep swivel (because of his arm transformation).

Price/Value: 8/10 I'm really enjoying this figure, but it is NOT a 75.00 (BBTS) figure. If I could pay 50.00 at BBTS retail, I'd be more than satisfied. I think if UT wants to compete they OR U.S. retailers need to lower their prices. I think the price is a bit off for the current 3rd party market, I think US retailers like BBTS are trying to price it similar to other combiner items they have encountered, but it's just not appropriate.

Overall, I genuinely like this figure. He scales very well with Fansproject figures and looks right at home. He's really solid for a first effort by a new 3rd Party group with much props to Rosedjs for all his hardwork on the ORIGINAL custom. There were a few things updated on UT's version, however, that took it up a notch.

While it has flaws and the price is questionable, I would still recommend this to anyone who loves the understated simplicity of G1 (or Fansproject Munitioner/Explorer), with the advantage of more modern articulation. If not, you might want to skip it for MMC or TFC's offerings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    That looks really good. Nice review as well.

9. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    no bird mode eh?

10. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    Since this guy isn't engineered to have much of a transformation, you can think of bird mode and robot mode as one in the same :lol 

The pics are nicely done, but I wouldn't feel comfortable even paying retail deluxe prices for this guy.

11. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Plenty of pics online and several video reviews even if bird mode is what you're hankering for, Gauge.

And for someone who professes to pretty much have nothing but disdain for this figure you're sure in this thread a lot, Nipps. Sarcas-o-meter is pegged at 1,000, so much so that I forgot to laugh.

12. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Beautiful photos and great review. I'm really looking forward to getting mine, even more so now. The paint issues are unfortunate, yes, but honestly I have a "Masterpiece" Lambor from Takara that has a far sloppier paintjob.

Also I'm pretty sure my UT crew will be spending a lot of time displayed with my Goldran toys. :D 

13. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the great review Zambot. You're one of the photographers who really inspired me to start shooting, so it's cool to see your stuff again.

It's nice to see that not all copies of this are getting those crappy paint apps.

14. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Hey Thanks TJ. And here I come with some crappy low-res, just get it done photography. Haha. Damn. Yeah, didn't realize I had changed the settings on my camera to a lower resolution and didn't have time to re-shoot, I was pissed when I loaded them onto my computer. Ah well, they served their purpose.

P.S. You've really gone over and above TJ. I'm happy for all your passion in pursuing your hobby. :) 

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  15. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Exactly!!! Also, I looked at my Fansproject Insecticons and the yellow spray is thin in spots too. Soo, I just hope UT is hearing the feedback and improving their production process as they go.

Actually the bigger issue is that I wish they could somehow use a semi-gloss paint at the factory so that the paint would match the sheen of the plastic more closely. The insecticons have painted yellow and molded yellow chest and it's a bit jarring. It will interesting to see how the part breakdown works for the other UT bots, maybe will see a few molded yellow chest details.

I'm digging the G1 cartoon aesthetic. Fun stuff.

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I really like how well this displays with FP figures. I was leaning toward the MMC version, but I may get these as well.

::Edit::

@Zambot: Can G1 Divebomb's guns peg into his fists?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like the pic with Bombshell.

The lack of articulation and all the partsforming needed for the gestalt mode (if the custom is any indication) are preventing me from buying though.

18. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice pics. Looks good for what it is. Unfortunately I've been pampered too much by other 3rd parties and MP's to go for the UT version, but glad to see that the paint apps are not widespread and getting better.

19. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:

Yeah, he looks nice with the FP bots, as the Causality designer likes to blend G1 style with Japanese Super-Robot, they feel at least in the same universe.

As far as G1 Divebombs guns, I don't have one, BUT if I remember correctly, G1 Divebomb is a bulkier/larger figure. I think Warhawks hands are too small.

But again take that with a grain of salt because I don't have one on hand to verify. I wish UT would have done guns too.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I believe G1 Divebomb's gun handles are 5mm. I guess you could find out if War Hawk's are 5mm (or anyone for that matter)?