Unique Toys Ragnaros (Combaticons/Bruticus)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Tcmjuk87, May 4, 2017.

1. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

... Buuuut, you got us with that snazzy mod you’re working on with the Zeta set ... right?? (slowly breaking out in panic bc I only went in on the UT set out of blind faith in @TigerBlade and his DIY prowess...) :) 

• Like Like x 2
  2. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Fake parts would have make him just "ok" like Zeta's Bruticus (who looks quite good, but it is as complex as a CHUG figure)... For me it's not just the superficial look, but also the clever engineering behind the combiner what makes this version of Bruticus "magnificent"!

Even the OM version, which may not look as good as the competition, is beautiful engineering wise...

3. TCJJ

TCJJ 111% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm not familiar with most Warcraft characters, but one of them needs to be the Lich King, dammit. They could chuck in his badass sword (Frostmane?) too, just for kicks.

EDIT: Completely missed this but Blast Off is already up for pre-order on ShowZ:
    [Pre-Order] Unique Toys UT M-04 Broodlord Lashlayer Blast Off
    Heh, Broodlord Lashlayer. Bit of a mouthful there, UT. Maybe don't name them after Warcraft characters next time... pretty please?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    When it'sall out I'll be looking at the options man, fear not :) 

For you. Exactly. For me, and others clearly, the torso is undersized and it looks silly. That's not clever engineering, that's trying to do too much in a limited space and ironically is how CHUG combiners are/have always been. That's ignoring that it's trying to appease cartoon fans yet failing to complete the look. Masterpiece shouldn't compromise like that. They could have even given the option to use extra parts in white/grey for the complete cartoon look for those that want it but still have Onslaught combine on his own for toy style. That would truly have been magnificent and checking every box and appeasing pretty much everyone.

Also an OM combiner is laughable at this point. They can barely get single figures right, let alone a triple changer that heavily compromises itself by self containing hands etc. Good luck with that 'beautiful engineering'.

• Like Like x 8
  5. TCJJ

TCJJ 111% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I have to agree. I know we've had this discussion before but though I'm not a big fan of parts-forming, Constructor changed the game and was arguably the first combiner to really nail the look and functionality of a combiner. I think most of us just realise at this point that the parts-forming is a necessary evil to make these things work.
    I'd argue the only official combiner that's got close to Constructor in terms of... construction... would be CW//UW Devastator, because they sacrificed Long Haul to make him work and because it's basically designed to work one way without any scrambling.
    Plus, if it makes anyone feel better, G1 Devastator cheated hardcore separate parts, and most of the G1 combiners also had separate chest plates, heads, fists and feet (not to mention with the way all of them worked, they were never going to have working hips unless you wanted that thing to crumble under its own weight).

The Ocular Max Bruticus is at least interesting though. I'm surprised they managed to get such a clean arm and a working wrist joint out of Vortex, but... I'm still not confident they can make an entire figure work well. At least they're going for a smaller combiner which might help, but I thought the whole point of Ocular Max was to be a Masterpiece-style-and-scale line.

6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

I think this combiner works but the OM version is a complete fail when you look at the inside of the calf and realize what has to happen to make that work. This combiner is saved because the bots are so G1 and the corebot has some outs with some improvements. If not for Kalecgos long trailer and extended thigh option this just wouldn't have done the job and my complaint about corebot hips has rang true with everyone except me. I got lucky and because I will not treat this like a toy mine will last. I definitely would have preferred the Constructor option but that Zeta set is DOA for me based on the aesthetics. Ultimately I only bought into this set because it looked too damn perfect and TigerBlade's options. All in all I guess this proves I'm flexible but only because the clever engineering may have saved this one. TFM, GT, previous UT attempts, MT, TFC all failed on every combiner no matter how clever. The most ingenious one I saw was TFM and it fell victim to the same problems. Add in the fact that I will end up getting this one as cheap or cheaper than Zeta and I can live happily with this one.

7. Zawicki

Zawicki Well-Known Member

I think @TigerBlade perfectly described my issue with combined mode: it Looks like a kid in adult armor. I really want to like combined mode but it's just not for me. I wish they would have used the pieces that attach to Brawl and Swindle in leg mode to beef up the thighs instead. Wouldn't fix the arms looking massive on the tiny torso but still. Hopefully this is a case where he looks better in person. I loved Ordin and honestly this guy has disappointed so far.

8. G1Dan

G1Dan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Christ you guys are hard to please:drool: 

• Like Like x 3
  9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    It's because Constructor has set a new precedent. You can have height, individual scale, posability & excellent proportions in a combiner. It's been done. So when companies go chug style in an old school way it just doesn't really cut it. I'd not be surprised if the vast majority have combiner mode displayed most of the time so the compromises are in the mode that ppl will want most. I get some ppl think extra parts are heinous but if they're in use 98% of the time then.....eh. I'll clearly never understand the anti partsforming crowd and in all honestly I never need to either. Options I guess. It's just a bit irritating nowadays with what we know is possible.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

o_O  You joined the boards four years ago, so you should have realized that at least three and a half years ago.

Anyway, I personally don't mind the fact that Blast Off should be connected to Bruticus on the top side of the shuttle rather than the underside. I would prefer a tailfin that is larger and that tucks away more securely. (Yeah, I know that those two things would work against each other.) But what drives me bonkers is the rear third of the shuttle mode being gray rather than brown, which looks wrong both in alt mode and in arm mode.

From animation pics, it looks like the back of the shuttle is just shades of brown. They could have made the front and inside of the lower legs gray and the outside brown. The gray wings folded back would still have kept a mostly-gray leg.

...but yes, I am still in for the whole team. Brawl and Swindle looked awesome in pics, so I snatched them both up. (I figured that even if something happened and UT never completed the set, they still looked great as stand-alones.) Onslaught looked...somewhat less awesome, and lacked a gun, but I still bought him, and he is a lot of fun in hand. (No waist ratchet on mine, but the leg ratchets haven't broken...yet.)

Blast Off looks pretty good in robot mode, and Vortex (my least favorite Combaticon) looks fine, so...when are Baba or netclow going to have these for sale, already?!?

• Like Like x 1
  11. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The chest looks odd.  If they went with the animation model, then they wouldn\'t have used the Space Shuttle.  The chest in the animation is not the space shuttle, it\'s just purple.  

12. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    So Blast Off in May huh? Hmmm

13. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That last one hasn't, Constructor has terrible proportions. His arms are far too long, and his midsection is so tiny they had to release even more partsforming lat filler pieces to look even half normal.

But anyway... I dig the Blast Off. As others have noted Vortex's alt mode just doesn't look right, but when I look at the comparison pics with Zeta's, MMC's, and the Sunbow art UT's still has the best robot mode.

• Like Like x 2
  14. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

A strange comparison but one that actually makes sense!

15. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

I try, man ... I really do

16. PANTSMAN1973

Must have missed the pics of Blast Off and Vortex then. Seriously, unless I've missed them, where are they? Seems strange to jump straight to combined mode.

17. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think the point being driven is with parts forming, you get closer to a better combiner than trying to use just the limbs themselves to make the combiner closer to toon and normal looking. Had TW went the way of Has/Tak Devastator, you would have one Constructicon fatter than the others (fixing the waist gap), where here they achieved all the robot modes being all the same height and proportions, which is how it should be.

The arms, well, that's just another small down side to parts forming but not the worse thing to have either.

The toon did things I don't think we'll ever get 100% close to even 10 years from now when once again new technology changes how these transform. Right now, UT is still in the CHUG ages with this product and maybe to those fans that like it, have the option to get this one vs a more MP toon one I'm after.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TCJJ

TCJJ 111% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You needed to look back a few pages to yesterday: Unique Toys Ragnaros (Combaticons/Bruticus)

19. PANTSMAN1973

Thanks TCJJ. Typical that I have checked all the time and still manage to miss them. Looking good though.

20. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really hope they address the Kalecgos breakage issues with some sort of replacement parts pack-in on one of the last two limb figures.

• Like Like x 1