Unique Toys Buzzing - Masterpiece Blurr

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Last Laugh, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Last Laugh

Last Laugh Well-Known Member

I'm very impressed with this figure. IMO, it fits perfectly in the Masterpiece line, being very true to the G1 animation. As with any figure, there are a few nitpicks, but all in all I think this is one of the more impressive 3rd party figures out recently.

Starting with the accessories: Buzzing comes an homage to Metroplex's transformation cog from Five Faces of Darkess (G1 Season 3). It's a nice little extra, with some nice light piping.
    [​IMG]
    Buzzing comes with a Targetmaster and a separate gun.
    The Targetmaster in bot mode has decent articulation despite the size. It transforms into a pistol, and then can combine with the pieces of the other gun to make a super rifle. Not too bad, but the legs on my Targetmaster kept popping off when I transformed him. I preferred using the regular gun most of the time since the super gun is a bit on the flimsy side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alt mode really nails both the g1 toy and the animation model. The paint apps are very nice, with sparkly blue accents. The proportions are spot on. The issue of alt-mode scale is debatable, but as a cybertronian car and a season 3 bot, I think the size is perfect. There is a seat that the Targetmaster can sit in, should you desire. There isn't actually room for his legs to stretch out, so you need to fold his legs Japanese style to actually get him in. Buzzing does indeed work with the stand that comes with Tracks (and the new Takara ones). Mine worked great for a minute and then the little peg promptly broke off of my stand as I was posing it. Oh well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Transformation is cool, not too crazy but not simple either. There are a few points with some tight clearances where care is needed to avoid paint rubbing, but nothing outrageous. I was surprised to learn that there are faux shoulder jets on the bot mode. I have mixed feelings about faux parts in general, but this doesn't bother me at all.

Bot mode is really fantastic. IMO, this is a very well executed representation of G1 Blurr. Just the right amount of paint, and I dig the face sculpt. There's a perfect little spot intended for a faction symbol.

Articulation is very good, and the whole thing is very clean. Very little backback or really any kibble in Bot mode. I could see some people feeling that the elbow flaps are a little long, but they don't bother me and don't seem to interfere with the poseability at all. They are actually on springs, so they can move around if necessary.

The scale is fine for a Season 3 bot, taller than a regular carbot but shorter than leader. He's about the same size as a seeker.

One small nitpick is the flexibility of the feet. There is a rocker, but the range of motion is a little more limited than I'd like. It tips forward very far, but not backwards at all. It's not really a problem, but it's something that I think could have been better.

Hands have a single pin for the index finger and another for the rest. The guns don't tab in, they are just held in by friction. It works fine, but I could see it getting loose with time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To wrap it up, I'd highly recommend this guy. He's great in both modes, well constructed with nice plastic and good joints. Just the right amount of well done paint.
    It's priced like a 3rd party carbot, but the figure you get is more like seeker sized, so in terms of 3rd party bots, he's a great deal. Actually, even an official product this size would probably be similarly priced.
    Definitely starting out 2016 with a high bar!

2. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wonderful pics and review! Any shots of this guy with MP10 or a carbot in bot mode?

3. Last Laugh

Thanks!
    I'll do some bot size comparisons tomorrow. He's the same size as Starscream and the others seekers, the tip top of his head is up to MP10s shoulder.

4. jay724

jay724 Well-Known Member

man it sucks that the hip skirt can't be moved up. How do you make a Blurr that can't do a run pose.

5. Last Laugh

He can do a decent run, just not a full kneel or high front kick.
    Side and back is good.
    EDIT: He does have hip skirts, mine are just really tight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  6. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He can.

[​IMG]

The flaps must just be tight on Last Laugh's.

Attached Files:

7. Last Laugh

Yeah, flap was super tight! Thanks, He's even better than I thought!
    I'll edit the review. Good catch.

8. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I so wish he was chug sized...........

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    With the new Masterpiece Hot Rodimus coming up, I wished this one was a little shorter. I'd drink to that, at least :) 

10. jay724

jay724 Well-Known Member

That's awesome I'm in then!

11. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    I really don't care for the colors or blocky look he just doesn't look dynamic enough but that being said he is one of those figure the more you look at it the better he seems. I am not sure I can hold off a lot of pros with this guy....

12. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

Any quality issues? How tall is he next to MP Sideswipe in bot mode?

13. Last Laugh

QC seems to be very solid. All the joints are tight and quality. A very well made figure.
    He's almost 2 inches taller than Sideswipe in bot mode. Buzzing is about the size of the MP seeker mold.

14. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Excellent review man, I love this figure.

15. BlueSilver

BlueSilver Well-Known Member

This guy has turned out to be one of my favorite third party figures ever. He just feels amazing. Joints are tight, plastic is sturdy, transformation is satisfying without any scary parts, and the colors are gorgeous. I actually really like the target master too, though I know he has gotten mixed thoughts.

As a side note on his target master, I know some people have issues with the barrel being crooked or pointing at a slight angle in gun mode. I had this, but found that it was because when I pegged his arms in to the side, the waste slightly turned which gave a slight angle to the barrel-leg. You should just be able to slightly turn his waste back and the barrel should be fine.

16. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A great review, Last Laugh. Do more.

Bought one.

Excited.

This is all Carry's fault. And yours. You magnificent pair of bastards.

17. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    Anybody plopped him down in MP Ultra Magnus in car carrier mode?

18. JBrock

JBrock Well-Known Member

Now I'll have to go try that tomorrow.

19. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

This guy is beyond awesome. Targetmaster is crap, probably should have ditched it and saved us 10-15 bucks.

20. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And this is where I get stuck. He's clearly much too tall for MP-28, (FT Hoodlum will almost certainly comply to the same scale) and I have a suspicion he'll be too short for MP-09 in Hot Rod mode. His size has kind of left him hanging when compared to his companions.
    I honestly expect that Buzzing is probably about the same height as any future MP Springers we'll see and that's just too tall. He needs to be midway between car bots and Ironhide.