Unicron's Wings

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OwlLasers, Apr 17, 2011.

1. OwlLasers

OwlLasers Technical Support

Hey folks,

A preemptive apology if this thread happened elsewhere. I couldn't find it.

I just snagged an Armada Unicron at Dairycon, and wanted to get some advice about his wings in robot mode. They don't tab into the same spot as in planet mode due to his secondary horns/chompers being in the way, so they tend to fall back. Unless I'm just doing it wrong (which is entirely likely, considering the figure in question and the rather vague instructions included), does anyone have any advice as to how to overcome this buggery problem other than simply displaying in planet mode?

2. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

some ppl just take the shell off.

3. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    ^ Ditto

The wings (assuming you are referring to those shell pieces) are pretty much back kibble, and there is really no right way to arrange them. Many people just prefer to take them off if they get too annoying.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I actually leave the shell on and arrange the two pieces behind his back in a manner that props up the wings.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    What he said.

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    ^This^ and a combination of those clear rubber bands that often come with TFs keep my Unicrons looking pretty intimidating.

7. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

So you're the guy that snagged him.I saw it sitting there,and the next time I looked it was gone.That was a pretty good price on him too.

It took me awhile to fiddle around with those shell pieces and his wings before I finally got them into a position where it looks good,but I did find it easier to leave the shell pieces on.

8. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I fold them up behind him.

However I saw an ingenious modification a long time ago I have saved to my hard drive (around when Armada Unicron came out and people were trying to G1-ize him).

Essentially, you can paint the INSIDE of the shell and the flat side of his calfs (the side that you can't see in planet mode) black, and with careful application of white, red and blue drops of paint, create a "starfield" effect.

It's an amazingly effective way of "hidding" the kibble. In fact, you almost forget it is there.

9. OwlLasers

OwlLasers Technical Support

haha. Yeah, sorry. That was me. It was too good to pass up. I asked the seller what was up with it, and he said he was just tired of lugging it around for the last few years. Needless to say, I was happy to take it off 'is hands.

Thanks, all of you, so much for the advice! I appreciate it. I think the positioning of the planet shell works just fine for me. I just needed a way to keep the "boney" wings propped up. Another friend of mine mentioned that he sprayed some hairspray at the hinges, and that has kept them stationary for the last 5 years. However, he displays it in robot mode, and I can see where this would degrade after a few transformations.

I like the idea of painting the kibble. Do you have pics, by chance?

10. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    The kibble painting idea came from the late customizer TFmaster. The Unicron he did was fantastic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I've seen more pics than these, but for some reason I can only find these 2.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011