Heavy/Scratch: Unicron ver 2.0

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Irishlad1028, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Irishlad1028

Irishlad1028 Well-Known Member

So this is my second Unicron custom. My first was on the Armada/Universe version. My goals were to make a better planet mode by adding a rear "hemishpere" and getting rid of the Minicon port on the front.

To make this guy is used the following:
    25th Anniversary Unicron (2 of them)
    Transformers Primus (leg weapons)
    Transformers Energon SixSHot or Shockblast (new chest Cannon)
    I Green LED for the eyes.

Here's the changes i made to robot mode:
    i swapped out his right clear hand with another Unicron's left one. I moved tha thumb around. Then used apoxy to fill in the old thumb hole and painted it on the patches:
    [​IMG]

Here's the new chest Cannon, it only pops out of the chest and no longer launches(was a lame gimmmick IMO):
    [​IMG]

I filled his mincon leg comparments with weapons courtesy of his brother Primus:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bypassed the circuitboard in his head so the eyes stay lit so long as i hold the button down, no more of that lame blinking. i also installed a green LED in the eyes. I painted the inside of the head black. I did this because the plastic in the head was thin at parts and you could see the light through these thinner parts. Paint prevents that:
    [​IMG]

Now for the planet mode. I used the planet halves of another Unicron to hide the Minicon port on the front of this mode. I created a rear Hemishere using some lower leg panels of the other Unicron and it pegs into him to coverall the kibble you usually see at the rear:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it! Lemme know what you think and thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

bohold! Awesomeness!

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I saw the first pic, saw the legs and thought "OMG not another custom that uses Unicron thighs" - and then I went DUH.

Looks good. The chest cannon is a big improvement. I like planet mode, but I wish somebody would figure out a way to make a full planet mode that needs no add-on kibble.

4. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

nice improvments dude!

I have to ask why not just paint the clear hand ?

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    A full planet mode. NICE!

6. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Nice to see Unicron get some love. Good work!

7. Irishlad1028

I've painted that hand before and quite simpy, its an a pain to avoid scratches between those fingers. This was a pretty easy mod and i have no paint to worry about.

8. winstonojo

winstonojo Primal

Ebay:
    Great improvement. Good job sir!

9. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Man I totally LOVE everything you did. Every one of those mods eliminates the little OCD things that bug me about the Unicron figure. I'm a fan of customs that just fix the things that need it. :) 
    Am I just missing the planet rear in his robot mode somewhere or is that a part that gets put away in bot mode? Not that it matters, just curious. Its neat to have all parts of alt mode incorporated into bot mode, but I always displayed Unicron with his planet halves on his back anyway.

10. Irishlad1028

Actually, the rear hemishphere just gets put aside. Here's an updated pic showing the hemishere beside Unicron:
    [​IMG]

Btw, i also ALWAYS display Unicron with his "wings" on as well. I never take them off, i don't want to wear down the pegs on his back. I like to transform im without partsforming (well aside from my own add-ons :) .

Attached Files:

11. Dracomancer

Dracomancer Well-Known Member

The mods look great.
    Could you elaborate a bit on how you managed the bypass? I'd like to do the same to mine. Is it just a matter of cutting the circuit-board and the two chest relays out and adding in a green LED to the circuit? Did you affix the new LED to anything inside the head? What size of LED did you use?

12. Irishlad1028

Well, to begin with simply cut the wires going the circuitboard attached that the red led is on it and pull it out (your not going be needing it anymore). Now you need some wire, i used some spare stuff from another figure, and a new green led. It was a simple process of sending wire from the batteries to the switch at the top of the head to the led and back to the batteries (electrical loop). To test this simply tape them together and use the switch to test if you've got it all wired properly.

Once this is all done its a matter of soldering these little wires together(which can be a challege if you're not to experienced with a soldering iron). I taped the led to the back of the head so it had a solid place to sit. i hope this helps. let me know.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is great!

14. Dracomancer

It took me quite a bit longer than your 15-20 minutes due to my soldering inexperience, but I finally got it all put back together with the same mods as you. The unblinking glowing green eyes are a definite improvement. Many thanks for the pointers. :thumb 

I haven't yet switched out the LED in my unicron's hand though. Our of curiosity, does anyone know what the reasoning is behind this feature's inclusion in the figure? Was Unicron ever shown to have a glowing red or green right hand in any incarnation?

15. Irishlad1028

Well, i don't think we ever saw him use any kind ofenergy attack from his hand so i'm not sure of the reason behind the "glowing hand" gimmick.

As for the led, you dont HAVE to remove it. Just paint the hand if you want. If you to have a spare Unicorn lying around i would suggest a hand swap. You would just have to move the thumb around and fill in any holes with apoxy. This way you wouldn't have to worry about paint rub in all those finger joints.

16. Dracomancer

Rendering one of the figure's oversized hands entirely transparent seems to be a rather extravagant aesthetic sacrifice for the sake of an unprecedented and simple gimmick. I just don't get it.

I might do that someday if I ever manage to nab an inexpensive junker hand. Thanks for the suggestion. :) 

17. Irishlad1028

No problem! let me know how things go!