Unicron Trilogy Size Comparisons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Locke, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I posted this at the Allspark just before it went down, but I thought some here might find it interesting, too. I was working on a fic using molds from the Unicron Trilogy, and one of the story elements I wanted to use was the size disparity between the typical autobot and the typical decepticon.

To get an idea of what the sizes would actually be, I found reference dimensions for the real world inspiration for the alt modes, and backed out the estimated robot mode height based on the scale. I don't own many of the toys listed and had to rely mostly on online photos, so there are potentially some pretty large error bars on the estimated heights, but it did give me a rough idea of the relative heights of the different bots.

Autobots

Red Alert [Cybertron] - 12 ft - Dodge Magnum
    Downshift [Cybertron] - 12.5 ft - 1971 Plymouth Hemi Barracuda
    Crosswise [Cybertron] - 13 ft - Bugatti Veyron
    Hot Shot [Cybertron] - 14.5 ft - Chrysler ME 412
    Landmine [Cybertron] - 20 ft - John Deere 6 cu. yd 4WD Loader (Loose)
    Armorhide [Cybertron] - 25 ft - Volvo FH

CD Hot Shot [Cybertron] - 18 ft - M-706
    CD Scattorshot [Cybertron] - 30 ft - M1A1 Chassis
    CD Red Alert [Cybertron] - 30 ft - Scud Missile (Loose)

Evac - 35 ft - HH-65A Dolphin
    Skyshadow [Energon] - 60 ft - A-10
    Storm Jet [Energon] - 80 ft - Scaled to Skyshadow
    Superion Maximus [Energon] - 90 ft - Scaled to Skyshadow
    Jetfire [Cybertron] - 165 ft - C-5 (Loose)

Wing Saber [Cybertron] - 50 ft - A-10
    Optimus Prime (Super Mode) [Cybertron] - 60 ft - Scaled to Wing Saber

Decepticons

Hardtop [Cybertron] - 13 ft - Chenowth Fast Attack Vehicle
    Kickback [Energon] - 32 ft - German Gepard
    Barricade [Energon] - 45 ft - Scaled to Kickback
    Bruticus Maximus [Energon] - 55 ft - Scaled to Kickback, assuming 4 identical limbs
    Thundercracker [Cybertron] - 50 ft - Su-35 Flanker
    Tidal Wave [Armada] - 2000 ft - USS Nimitz class aircraft carrier

After doing this, there were a few things that surprised me. I knew that whenever you include aircraft, it throws off the scale, but I didn't realize that it would make Thundercraker almost the same size as Bruticus. Also, its interesting that the Cybertron Defense team toys are acually pretty close to being in scale with each other; there may be some other examples of this, but thats something that is hard to tell without having the toys in hand.

If anyone has any better references for the alt modes, or a better idea on the height on any of them (listed or not), I could use the input. Feedback or criticism is always welcome.

2. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Man, thanks for those pics. I never realized Cyb Hot Shot was a real car. Awesome!

3. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I have to give credit where credit is due on that. I was able to find the military references on my own, but I got the car identifications mostly from reviews and the message boards.

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't realize these alt modes were all so closely based on real-world vehicles. Pretty cool. I don't have anything to help you research any further, sorry, but I'll definitely check back to see any progress you've made.

5. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tidal Wave should be bigger than 2000ft, that's just his arm length

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT :thumb 

And they say size/mass shifting is just a stupid G1 thing. :p 

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol

8. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Don't you have to imagine his Minicon is the size of Thundercracker and scale up from there? o_O 

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    me too! kewl!

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    CD Red Alert isn't based on a SCUD launcher or indeed, any real-world mobile ballistic missile launcher.

The main inspiration for its design is the Russian BTR-80 APC, mixed in with elements of a German APC whose name escapes me. Hasbro/Takara just slapped a giant missile on top.

CD Scattorshot does not use an M1 Abrams chassis, given its the wrong shape and configuration. In fact, the sloped front hull and plated side skirts suggests it is based off an Isreali Merkava 3 or 4 with a generic MLRS launcher on top.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds about right for the Armada video game, as I remember.

12. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I have no idea how anyone figures out what real-life military machines TFs are based on, but I am highly impressed! Keep up the good work!

13. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Thanks for those references; they certainly match better than what I have. I went with the M1 for Scattorshot because it's the only one I know that uses the blade syle mine plow, but you're right that the chassis looks like the Merkava. Luckily, the M1 and Merkava have a similar length, so the change doesn't significantly impact the height of the robot. On the other hand, changing Red Alert to the BTR-80 downsizes him from ~30 to ~18-19 ft tall in robot mode. I prefer Red Alert taller, so I may assume that the chassis was scaled up to act as a TEL for a balistic missile, but that is a willful suspension of disbelief issue.

As for Tidal Wave, I used 1100 ft for the length of the aircraft and it seemed that Tidal Wave was about 2 arm lengths tall, so I figured the height was about 2000 ft.

Also, if anyone has any good vehicle references for Mudflap or Constructicon Maximus I'd appreciate it; constuction vehicles are an area where I have little knowledge.

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Naw - Mini-Cons don't work to scale like that. Ramjet turns into a teeny-tiny little jet that a human could probably swing their leg over to ride on the back of.

15. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Never take TF vehicle designs at face value - most of the time they're a combination of several similar vehicles so they don't get sued ;)  The mine plow itself, well most tanks can be fitted with a mine plow if needed.

Oddly enough, in the cartoon CD Hot Shot's vehicle mode is huge.

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  17. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    That database isn't useful given in some of the entries the author/s wasn't even sure what their vehicle modes are, let alone the names of them

'4 Wheeled Armored Gunner Truck?' 'Missile Launcher Battery Tank?' What the hell?

This isn't surprising given most TF fans generally aren't well versed in military vehicles.

18. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I did'nt think those were 'Mine Plows' on Scattorshot, I've seen in a TV show once that the army used some kind of vehicle with a spinning barrel extended in the front that whips the ground to clear mines using chains

those things on Scattorshot looks more like they're used to clear brush, barbed wires and other obstacles. they're way too close to the vehicle for plowing explosives

19. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I agree completely; there are very few alt modes that completely correspond to a real world vehicle. We're straying a little bit from my original intent to get an idea of sizes (take Jetfire, clearly not a C-5, but it was useful as a reference), but it is interesting to try to find the design influences. One of the things I like about Cybertron is the variety of international influences for the vehicle modes; it's nice to have a flanker instead of an F-15 for a change.

As for the mine plow, I know that the M1's mine plow was built in Israel, but I can't find any references that indicate it's used there; everything I can find with the Merkava seems to be using the roller style instead. I'm typically better versed in aircraft than land vehicles, so it's pretty likely that I just haven't run across the right info.

Oh, and Seibertron.com seems to be pretty good with cars, but not great with military or construction.

20. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    The device you're talking about is definitely for mine clearing, but there is a blade style mine plow as well. Here is the best reference that I've found for what I think was the inspiration for Scattorshot's front end: Mine Plow