Unicron Trilogy Cybertron Optimus Prime fits too well into Power of the Primes, deserving an update.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Exastiken, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Exastiken

Exastiken Into the Cyberverse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm talking about this guy.

[​IMG]

Things that fit Power of the Prime's themes and gimmicks:
    • Leader-class Super Mode from normal Voyager mode: This is similar to Rodimus Prime's leader-class evolution.
    • Cyber Key gimmick could be replaced by a Prime Master.
    • Matrix Chamber in his chest, that could hold a PM-matrix.
    • Combination with other figures: Leo Breaker, Wing Saber. Speculation at the moment indicates that we are seeing combiners again.
      • Leo Breaker attached to Optimus's torso in Savage Claw mode. Optimus Prime's torso supported a combiner port-esque slot that Leo Breaker attached to. EDIT: Leo Breaker has a fold-out claw like Liege Maximo's Skullgrin-Pretender suit does.
        • Someone made an add-on on Shapeways enabling combiner-port attachment to the original figure.
      • Wing Saber attaches to Optimus Prime like his Super mode backpack, as another leader-class evolution.
      • Leo Breaker could be a follower of Onyx Prime, and Wing Saber could be a figure compatible with both Optimus and Star Saber.
    Super modes reference:
    • Savage Claw Mode
      • [​IMG]
    • Sonic Wing Mode
      • [​IMG]
    If we see an update of this figure, what changes from the original mold would you like to see?

Personally, I would want to see the following:
    • A flight-stand peghole much like T30, Combiner Wars, and Power of the Primes have done
    • A ball-jointed neck
    • An updated battle mask system similar to TLK Megatron
    • Combiner ports in his feet
    • Super mode backpack with stiffer wings
    • Ankle articulation in Super mode

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Someone actually brought up the point that the Rodimus Prime transformation actually resembles the Optimus Prime Super Mode in Armada.

[​IMG]

As it were, the smaller bot legs turn into the arms, and the top of the truck folds down to become the chest. Again, a very heavy retool would be in order... but it's doable. It'd sure as heck go great with the previous leader Armada Megatron...

That said, I can't say I'd reject a revisited Gundam Prime... TBH, doesn't he look kinda Gundamish when powered up?

• Like Like x 3
  3. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But WHY would you want a new version of Cybertron Prime? You're absolutely not going to get one that is better than the original toy.

This is what I don't get from all the people whining "well why won't Generations update X figure from X line from when I was a kid?!" Beast Wars toys were almost as articulate as what we have now, and while I appreciate the occasional update, there are very few that are necessary at this point. Armada and Beast Machines, I give a bit of a pass to, because the BM toys are not show accurate in the least (like, the best one accuracy-wise is the Japanese version of Blackarachnia I think?), and Armada toys are bricks crippled by the mini-con gimmick. But Cybertron is still to this day one of the strongest lines in the history of the brand. And all the things people complain about now, lack of paint, hollow parts, smaller, lighter toys, a lot of that is in comparison to this very line. There is no way Hasbro will make satisfying updates for those designs.

• Like Like x 5
  4. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    amarda prime, yes absolutely, cybertron prime nah lets not waist a spot, their not going to be able to make a toy better then his current one, in fact with out increasing the budget per toy by double i dont think there going to be able to better the toys from then, the toys from that point in time are something special sure there is something that need improved on some of the smaller toys but not much

• Like Like x 6
  5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Given Hasbro's current Leader budget, they just absolutely could not put out a better figure than Cybertron Optimus Prime. That's not knocking current leader figures either, this figure is just so damn good (and huge, nearly twice the size of a modern leader figure) that only an MP update could make him much better. I mean, they could surprise me, but Cybertron was pretty much peak bang for your buck for the Transformers franchise (ROTF era was also comparable). Armada Optimus Prime, however, would make a great Power of the Primes figure and is in dire need of an update. I could see him being an easy retool of Rodimus, actually.

6. Exastiken

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I guess it would, though, I feel that's Armada Prime's only feature that fits with Power of the Primes. He can combine with another robot, but not per-limb in the same way as Combiner Wars combiners. And I don't think he'd have minicon ports like T30, unless he was aligned with Micronus Prime.

He absolutely looks like a Japanese super robot, btw.

7. Ch40sKnight

Ch40sKnight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They can still add Mini-Con ports if they wanted to. CW Armada and G1 Megatron have them, and so does LG God Bomber.

8. Exastiken

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Fair enough, but what about the topic of combiner limbs? Cybertron Optimus could fully utilize Combiner limbs as the arm ports are used the exact same way.

And the original mold already includes some other things that match Power of the Primes, like a removable matrix, plus weapon gimmick access (Cyber Key -> Prime Master).

9. Exastiken

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I would enjoy a smaller, smaller-budget, modernized version of him, as long as they fixed certain aspects. And really if he's that popular then wouldn't it make sense to bring him out again. I really doubt an MP update would happen, as part of his charm is that he was compatible with other mainline bots that would not fit MP; that, and his original detailing doesn't match the MP aesthetic. And the last time they did a near-reissue for him was Leobreaker as Lio Convoy, in 2009.

10. Gallade

Gallade HSR and Transformers Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Cybertron Optimus is literally TLK Megatron. Nearly perfect in every way except he lacks a waist joint as far as I can tell and wrist articulation for both.

11. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    You clearly don't remember the MP poll Takara had a few years back that resulted in Star Saber, many different Optimi were on that list and Armada Optimus came in second, with Primal in third.

12. Exastiken

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Then wouldn't Armada Optimus be better suited for MP, and Cybertron Optimus for Generations?

13. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    It just means there is more want for amarda prime

• Like Like x 1
  14. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    No. They are both on equeal footing. My point was you where saying that they wouldn't do a MP UT figure, we where extremely close to having one. Armada and Cybertron Optimus are on equeal footing when it comes to being possible in the Generations line, but honestly Armada Optimus would be a better fit for POTP and needs a nee figure with better standards, as compared to Cybertron Optimus. That thing would be much undersized, have a new transformation to accomodate a gimmick it never had, and wouldn't likely have the same gimmicks he had before such as Savage Claw mode, Wingsaber combination, or any of his Key-activated weapons.

With Armada Optimus all you have to do is just remold it. The transformation would practically be the same, and the original figure(despite however fun) doesn't compare to modern standards as much as Cybertron Optimus does. It never really had a direct Mini-con gimmick besides an electrontic folding trailer anways.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think optimus from armada deserves an upgrade, cybertron prime doesn't need it as him, the toy was already good, plus, that plastic was great.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ch40sKnight

Ch40sKnight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as I would like a new Cybertron Optimus Prime, mainly because I missed out on him, I don't think it's time for an update yet. He's still pretty good on his own.

Out of the 3 OPs from the Unicron Trilogy, Armada suffices the dire need of an update. And with PotP's Leader's gimmick is suppose to be smaller bots combining with trailers or something to be a bigger bot, it makes sense for Armada Prime.

17. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now I kinda wanna see a Gundam Prime with CW limbs... Wager a Shapeways adapter would work for the arms, if anyone ever made one....

That Primo Vitalis kit for CW Prime always gave me the Cybertron Prime vibe in Combiner mode, too...

18. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i believe armada optimus needs and update more than cybertron prime he is already amazing

19. Exastiken

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If you check my original post a Shapeways adapter already exists.

Speaking of Primo Vitalis, I need to sell mine...

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Armada Prime would be great since the original toy is so bad. Cybertron Prime on the other hand is fantastic, I don't see why it needs an update.