Unicron in IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by FoolishDoomedCreature, Jul 21, 2017.

1. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm here for this.

It would be interesting if this is a plan to wrap up the entire continuity and give it a satisfying ending, then wipe the slate clean and completely reboot afterwards.

• Like Like x 3
  2. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

I remember the no Unicron conversation with Simon Furmon. I believe he put it in on of the early -ations TBS and then some one said D-Void was essentially IDW's Unicron.

Well, we will see how this goes. I think IDW may be working its way into a corner with no way out. Unicron seems to be the killer of transformer iterations. LOL

• Like Like x 2
  3. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unicron is getting a book, presumably this means more than one issue. My guess is that Unicron is another lost colony world with its own population. Maybe the cog-mark guys from MTMTE / LL, or maybe not :) 

4. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    We all knew it was going to happen one day. I'm up for it! I wonder if he's connected at all to the "prepare, confront, repel" bots, as they've always given me that vibe. Plus, an ancient group of apparently sinister bots using any and all methods to force back the ultimate evil would be cool.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    This would pretty much be my ideal scenario.
    Then again if they did this it would mean they can still write good stories so paradoxically there would be no need for this.
    So this most probably wont happen, cause the way they have been going there is no way they would create anything this good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Or Unicron will be quick with the jokes. Who's his conjunx whatever? Seaspray?

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

I'd imagine that this is the intention. Give other amazing shows like Avatar, Transformers: Prime, and Korra, they only lasted three-four seasons amounting to roughly 50-60 episodes tops. While Transformers has a villains gallery that can give Batman's rogue gallery a run for its money, there's so much you can do. After the Unicron business? The end? A new series of stories during the great war? A novella of the Unicron aftermath?

I'm still perturbed that people have their panties in a bunch that Unicron's coming. It might have been Furman's idea to not include him, thank McCarthy for that, but thank Barber and Roberts for keeping it tidy and under wraps as Furman might have intended.

Besides, this could be a great opportunity for another "At the Edge of Extinction!!" issues spanning three series instead of one! Imagine half of the three comic series rosters all bite the dust by Unicron.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  8. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Well-Known Member

Ebay:

I would love a series following just the battles and politics during the war prior to mass exodus of Cybertron especially giving current characters more backstory.

9. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That I can get behind.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

I'm not entirely surprised by this. Unicron is undoubtedly going to be the main villain of TF6, likely with a large toy to coincide with that, so the character is due to have another big push in the lead-up to that film.

I do hope this is used as a 'final battle' and hard reboot to IDW's continuity, though. Much as I like some aspects of IDW's TF universe, and think there is some potential for post-Unicron stories, there's a lot that could stand to be purged with a hard reset.

The way IDW has been going, it'll probably turn out that he and Primus were conjunx endura and the whole Primus/Unicron war is due to a bad break-up or something equally stupid. And this version of Unicron won't physically devour planets, rather he just 'consumes' their pop culture. The Unicron ongoing series will then take place after Unicron 'eats' the entirety of Earth's pop culture, following his adventures as he tries to be a comic book writer while constantly making references to James Roberts' favorite TV shows, music, and movies.

• Like Like x 7
  11. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

A hard reboot would be good. With new, experienced writers though the pockets needed to get such talent may be lacking.

But, who knows? Unicron has only eaten 22% of the multiverse. LOL

• Like Like x 3
  12. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

I swear to god I was thinking the exact same thing. It could definitely make an interesting story.

• Like Like x 3
  13. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

At least that means no more The Big Bang Theory.

• Like Like x 3
  14. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Unicron? Probably means we're due an "Optimus Prime sacrificing himself to destroy Unicron" moment again. Or maybe it will be Megatron this time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I rather think that this is what IDW plans to be his undoing after he chokes and dies trying to consume Tumblr. :X

• Like Like x 2
  16. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    i'd be ok with Unicron, if there is a proper buildup.
    Unicron is a Cosmic God from before the dawn of Time. work with that. build up some suspense, get Lovecraftian with it.
    maybe introduce a Unicron Cult full of warriors with terrifying supernatural gifts. make the cult a legitimate threat in and of themselves, and once the heroes have exhausted themselves to the brink to defeat them, then bring in the big U.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

Oh, we'd still have The Big Bang Theory. But we'd ALSO have a giant, planet-sized transforming robot flying through the universe yelling "BAZONGAS!!!!", or whatever that character's catchphrase is.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gregles

gregles quintesson

I guess by unicrons very nature it seems likely his appearance will be another idw 'event' which idw has a pretty bad track record on.

I guess it will be probably end up being given to barber to write so it will be liked by a few people but feel bland and empty to the rest of us like all the other idw events.

I think they should try something different. Give Unicron to Roberts. I know he has a lot to resolve in his lost light/mtmte mythology with knights and that mysterious faction and Unicron presence could mess with that loads but I think if he was given full creative control and a suitable artist Roberts could give us a Unicron story to be proud of that is stunning rather than just another functional 'event' story. He has a track record of making demands from higher ups work well as I think that Megatron becoming an autobot thing was a decision that was pushed on to him at the same time robots in disguise was doing its 'controversial twist' story of the human/decepticon alliance.

Another more risky alternative choice could be bringing Simon Furman back into the fold with a shot at it. Of course he would have to work very closely with the current creative teams to reign in Furmans excesses and make sure it doesn't contradict world building from other writers but it would at least likely be more interesting than another barber event to see a returning writer take over a continuity he created after it had been through years of different creative teams.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  19. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    I don't see why everyone's so doom and gloom about Unicron. Depending on how he's played, he can be anything from a creation of the Knights or the Black Box Consortia, to a highly demented titan. Maybe the Unicron book will show how a brainwashed titan evolves from "destroy xxx" to "destroy all life". Or, maybe he's a creation of one of the groups sent to destroy mechanical or non-mechanical life, and eventually through his travels determines they're all just as bad and decides to eliminate all life.

Or there's also the possibility he could be Ark Unicron riding in a giant mech suit after being struck in the head by a meteor and suddenly thinking he's the true Spawn of Mortilus himself.

Although to be honest, it seems like Unicron could be showing up, oh I don't know, about the time it seems the Lost Light will be finding the Knights. Maybe there's two groups of knights, and the group belonging to Unicron becomes the ones found, and Rodimus has to go out and find the other group to save the universe.

And why does Unicron have to be the end? If you go by that, Fantastic Four should have ended way back in the 60s or 70s with Galactus. There's always the possibility they could route Unicron, but determine he does in fact serve a greater purpose.

20. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Galvaltron must find the Matrix of 4Chan, the single most destructive force in the universe.

I think we'll have at least two years before we see the Devourer come a knocking, so it's not a big deal.

• Like Like x 1