Unicron in IDW as of 2018??

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GogoDG, Sep 10, 2017.

1. GogoDG

GogoDG Come and help me somebody quicklyyyyyyahhhhhhh!

Twitter:
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

That looks awesome. I might have to pick up a few comics of unicron in next year's comics.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Oh, look... It's a new and more original non-canon Unicron.

So original that it sort of looks like Ego the Living Planet rip-off, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    "Non-canon"????

• Like Like x 3
  5. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, when I first saw this image of Unicron, I was a little skeptical due to him looking so organic "AGAIN"!

But after listening to the recent Hascon panel shoe horn in their G.I.Joe, Mask and Rom titles into this arc I'm just about done with IDW....

And yeah, yeah....this is before all the "You haven't even read it yet" defenders come in. But after what they did with my favorite combiner (Predaking) why in the blue hell should I be psyched about what Shipwreck, Matt Trackker and Acree have planned to stop a "Planet eating planet that transforms!!!!!?"

• Like Like x 3
  6. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Ego with a touch of Doomsday.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I liked this new look for the Chaos Bringer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GogoDG

Twitter:
    Why can't Unicron be just a Transformers foe? I don't want MASK, Rom or the fucking G.I. joe (btw I hate G.I. Joe brand so much) joining the fight. Unicron was made as a TF villain and I want him as just that.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Soundwave902

Soundwave902 The Lone Survivor

Transformers and Rom could work fighting Unicron due to the fact that Rom's a member of a space empire. Makes sense that they would want to have a hand in saving the galaxy. MASK and G.I. Joe wouldn't make sense unless MASK's vehicles actually turned into robots because Unicron could take one-shot wipe both teams out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gregles

gregles quintesson

Nice look for Unicron

The only thing that is stopping me from getting too excited for this is the characters below Unicron who are the ones most likely to be heavily featured in the story seem to be the mostly barber cast like Optimus Prime, bumblebee, starscream etc which unless this is some dark cybertron style crossover it seems likely for this to be another barber penned idw event comic which so far have all been mediocre letdowns if I'm being kind.

I'm not that fussed if they want to balls up some low level characters or other 80's kids franchises I've hardly heard of with bland writing but Unicron needs a much better approach if they are going to do him any kind of justice.

If not Roberts, how about bringing furman back into the idw fold for the Unicron story? I know he made a mess of regeneration1 but this could be his opportunity for redemption and seeing someone attempt to tell a story in a continuity they started over 10 years later could be fascinating to behold even if it's not the best fiction ever. Would certainly have more of my attention and interest than the inevitability of a barber Unicron event sucking.

I hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be a fantastic epic event we have all craved for. Fingers crossed

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  11. GogoDG

Twitter:
    I think when Roberts saw where IDW and Hasbro were going, he thought everything was going to shit and he didn't want to take part in any of this. Because (don't get me wrong I love Barber's writing, just the higher ups are pushing him to produce irrelevant shit for us, Transformers fans) he wants to tell an amazing story without any crossovers in between.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I don't think it would automatically a bad thing to have this in a shared universe.
    Unicron IS a threat to the entire universe after all.
    So it would make sense for this fight to envolve GIJoe, The Micronauts, The ministery of defense, Mask, the entire spaceknight organisation and not just Rom.
    But it WOULDN'T make sense NOT to envolve The Galactic Council, The Black Box Revelation and other space people.
    And it WOULDN'T make sense to just wrap this up with only Starscream, Optimus, Windblade, Arcee, Jazz and Pyra Magna.
    This cannot be about just the usual event cast.
    This has to envolve all and any imaginable Transformers characters.
    And this is something they might put some effort in to make this something special and get the writing on par with the best IDW has delivered in the past.
    I think we are allowed to have some expectations about this since this is the devil of the Transformers universe and it's the first time in a long time Hasbro has made us known they are planning to make this a big thing.
    So if they want to make this a big thing they should make it special.
    Make us proud. Make themselves proud.

• Like Like x 12
  13. Omnondippy

Omnondippy The duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest accord.

Couldn't of put it better my self.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ehhh... I dunno. I don't see the Galactic Council, Solstar Order or Black Block Consortia caring about Earth being attacked by Unicron, y'know? GI Joe being involved makes sense, since their thing is "defending the Earth", but I'm hoping their role isn't too central. I'd like this to be mostly about the Transformers.

The shared universe was, like, 60% Barber's idea. He's doing Rom vs TF and Revolutionaries, and having a couple GIJoes in Optimus Prime, because he wants to.
    Roberts, by contrast, doesn't apparently want to do that, but nobody's pushing him to. It certainly hasn't improved his writing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GogoDG

Twitter:
    Rom vs TF is interesting. I like what I've read, Revolutionaries on the other hand... I liked only "Strange Visitors" because of Hearts of Steel and I only read Revolutionaries because of Hearts of Steel. And Guido Guidi's art depicting the past was fantastic imo. I actually want a comic (or comic series) made in this way.

16. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At least he's not Earth.

17. gregles

gregles quintesson

I didn't mind that as an idea. It certainly was a boldly different take on Unicron as a planet sized apocalyptic threat. I remember when it was first revealed being genuinely surprised that they went there as it seemed like the good guys was in a no win situation where if they opposed him they could risk the earth itself so initially it felt like a lot was at stake.

Sadly in time they lessened the significance of his presence at the core of the earth sending him back to sleep then removing him in an annoyingly convenient way where he became just another villainous threat.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't hate the idea myself either but I don't think the same idea should be used constantly.

19. Metal Boxes

Metal Boxes Active Member

Pretty hyped tbh.

20. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Unicron will make his debut in our next miniseries: Inhumanoids vs. Transformers! You're totally gonna love it an want to buy it! Buy multiple copies in fact! The Inhumanoids are so fucking cool that they're gonna kill Unicron all by themselves, you must love them! Please, please buy our comic! Chris Ryall really wants to keep writing Rom for the rest of his life."

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3