Unicron.com Golden Disks Accessory Pack

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Scantron, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Picked these up from BBTS as an accessory for my Transmetal Megatron and thought I'd take a few pictures and make some comments (don't see a thread on this yet)...

Assembly - Pop the gold segment with the pincher claws off of Transmetal Megatron's tail (it's attached by a ball joint). Insert the ball joint on the disk reader into the exposed socket. Unscrew the screw on the reader ~1/4 turn (if that), insert a disk and tighten the screw again.

Comments

- Beautiful packaging. Looks great, stands out nicely and makes a good display piece. The blurbs from DiTillio and Forward don't provide much information, but are a neat extra.
    - The disks don't stay in place that well if the package is moved around a lot. They won't fall out completely, but will slide around within the packaging.
    - The package can be opened and then closed again, but the 'seal' uses ~6 splotches of tacky substance that will likely wear out over time.
    - Both disks are constructed of metal.
    - Both disks are show accurate. The 'Voyager' disk matches the designs on the real Voyager golden disk (it even has "The Sounds of Earth, United States of America, Planet Earth" in very small print), while the symbols on the 'alien' disk match what I remember of the disks on the show.
    - Assembly is easy, but it would be nice if the disks could be loaded and unloaded without having to loosen/tighten a screw.
    - Neither disk will spin freely in the reader if the screw is fully tightened. By loosening the screw ~ 1/2 turn, the 'Voyager' disk spins fairly well. However, the 'alien' disk is held a little differently and will fall out if the screw is loosened that far.
    - The ball joints in Megatron's tail aren't strong enough to fully support the reader and a disk, so the tail will droop slowly when the reader is loaded.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend these to anyone who has Transmetal Megatron and slightly recommend to those without that figure (the Disks are still useful on their own). It's a neat accessory and excellent for display.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Could you post a link to the BBTS page for these? Maybe I'm temporarily retarded, but I can't seem to find them.

*edit* Finally found them. Thanks.

3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

Sweet, I just put an order in for one.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i need to get this set as well...and i still need to put together my freakin unicron stand....damn me and my lazyness...

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Got this set at Botcon a wile back and I must say I cant recommend them enough. Very high quality and a must for any BW fan.

6. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just got my set from BBTS in the mail a couple of days ago, and I love it. The detail and quality are amazing. Not only does it look perfect with TM Megatron, but you can place the ball end of the disk reader in BW10th Megatron's T-rex mouth, and support it with his hand for a pretty badass pose. Also, BW10th Primal can hold a disk in his hands without any problem.

7. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    nice! I just ordered a set from bbts. I can't wait. I was looking at a similar item from the Iacon One convention. nice price for what you get.

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Kool...I have been pondering getting this set.

9. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Got it. Now where's a TM Megs when you need one? :)  :( 

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I pickup three sets at Botcon. This set is hightly recommeded. Looks great on display.

11. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I agree, ordered mine a few months ago, good value for $15-$20.

12. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    awsome but for some reason I like the package better then the toy???

13. RoboRic

RoboRic Banned

Just bought em.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    What do you think of them? No offence meant, but there is a Highs and Lows thread in the Toyark if you want to say you got something or not.

15. RoboRic

RoboRic Banned

Oh! Terribly sorry. Well, I haven't recieved them yet, but I think they wil be awsome!

16. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    Considering ordering these to go with my Metals Megatron a got a little while back. I've got a couple junker TM tails I could use for them. They look great, and seem uber detailed, but the weight of them is making me want to reconsider if I can't pose them with Megs without the tail sagging. Would you say they're worth $30?

17. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Absolutely. This is one of those rare 3rd party sets from back in the day. Beautiful piece! And the discs being metal you can always just polish them up again.

iDD

18. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    Thanks for the feedback. I might be sold on them. I suppose if they're too heavy to use in the tail, I can display them some other way as well.

EDIT: BBTS actually had them in stock when I looked, so I ordered them. $28 shipped. Not great, but reasonable.