Unfair pricing on TFers toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    1- Correct, that is my statement. 100%. Do you want all your vendors making 50% profit on everything they sell. You know how messed up the worlds economy would be then. What rightful company could succeed making any product knowing their price is jacked 50% everywhere they sell?

Do you think your grocery store should jack up prices 50%?

2- I agree.

3- I am just stating another example of crazy profit margins to be had off of TF collectors. My point is towards the TF collector. We get screwed more so then any other toy collector.

2. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

amazing

but don't forget that automatontoys actually charge taxes. its high canadian taxes too. ie. quebec for me.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    While I may not agree with your fondness level of BBTS, I do agree with you that this fandom is about getting it first and never paying the least. It leaves a bad taste personally to me, but I mean, its one of those things that "it is what it is"

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I agree with you that it does not equate 20$ per unit from what we know. I am just saying there are hidden cost that we did not consider. Does it seem likely that BBTS did mark it up? Yeah, probably. Is the mark up as big as some of you make it up to me? NO. Is the mark up reasonable? Personal taste, really.

On your second point, I understand that as well. But that's another complicate issue to go thru (ala, I am too lazy to type it out right now, gotta wait til I get enraged or inspired)

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I do notice that Stormbomb is $46.90 at RK. So I there maybe other factors at play. Anyone know what the cost was like a week ago?

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    LOL China as a country, tons of company as a whole. But seriously, they are succeeding, and unfortunately, their workers are extremely poor (and dangerous working environment [no safety regards], but their owners are fifthly Rich. You can bet sometimes they make 95% profit and only required 5% of retail to pay for production. Its as ridicious as that over there. Not saying its ok. Just saying that it does happen, and they are successful

And for the record, I don't approve of that kind of success. I think its inhumane and the wealth isn't... well we are getting into a forbidden territory.

7. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    At this point I view this thread as a good place to vent. The stores will do what they do and as long as the consumer supports it they will continue.

The fault is mostly on the TF community. Sure I may say fuck you *insert online store name here* but there are 20 more people behind me that won't. We as a community are allowing ourself to be painted in a corner.

What I foresee? This will continue for a while until people get fed up and start shopping elsewhere. I know with the rise of the 3rd party my online shopping habits have changed. Also, once Herc is done I am sure MANY new people will have feedback on other companies, including those overseas that charge MUCH LESS.

The only thing I did nto foresee? I really did think 3rd party prices started high and would drop as competition increased. I failed to recognize the growing fan base and increased sales causing a cash grab and increasing 3rd party prices further.

But this too shall end and we will one day see much lower priced 3rd party products.

And me picking on BBTS is because they are the biggest online retailer for the NA market AND it has been seen that they are the company that establishes retail price (high at that) which the rest of the companies follow.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    In the end, I guess what I am trying to say is, at what point does the TF say, enough is enough.

I think I just quickly proved that most figures yield close to a 30% profit for vendors. They are playing a game of does it hurt yet and pushing and pushing and pushing it. When is enough enough?

We only have ourselves to blame in the long run. Not anyone else, but come on fandom, 30% profit for the vendor alone is pretty insane!

Funny how we did that at the same time.

I just want people to realize that TF collectors on these sites are the first place they will hit to make the money. Cause we put up with it. It is damn insane!

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    What you say is true. Although what you did not foresee, may not be true. I still think it's got a chance of happening. Look at Crazy Devy's upgrades? Their prices have been pushed to more reasonable degree lately. (not that it affects me since I don't like their products) I think you have to give it a year or two, and when these competitions get a more solidate fanbase with their initial products, then the competition really starts, and then we can see what happens.

it isn't proven about 30% profit. We didn't count in salaries and other things, but yes, I can agree with you that they are making a profit, as any company should. Is it more than they should be making? Who knows? not enough information. Also keep in mind that we are taking analysis more on an individual item basis instead of an "as a whole" what happens basis.

10. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    YES! EXACTLY!

I've said this and explained it before in a few of these types of discussions.

The federal reserve is printing money to pay US debt, thus inflating the US currency and making every dollar worth less. Thus the purchasing power of each dollar relative to other world currencies including the Yuan and Yen which most of us use to purchase toys and transformers. The US is bankrupt just like Greece, but we are printing money to pay OUR debts. Complete fraud!

A $4 dollar hike on Causality line has more to do with the cost for BBTS to buy those figures, having our Dollar destroyed by inflationary practices on behalf of the federal reserve! If you want to complain go lobby your congressmen and senators.

Now there could be a mix of things going on, BUT I think those of you who believe BBTS or any retailer is gouging JUST to gouge are way off base. Unless all the TF specialty shops got together and decided to PRICE FIX, this would never work, as we could all easily go to the next cheapest retailer.

There is a very REAL possibility that in 6 months you'll be paying 120.00 for the next Hercules figure. Not because of greedy retailers but because of inflation and depression in the American economy.

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Pricing aside, cuz we are just going to be running around in circles with this topic,

Isn't it a fucking awesome time to be a collector? 2 or 3 years ago would you have ever guessed that other companies would come about to cater directly to the fan? Did you ever think that Energon Bruticus will ever become one of your prized possesions? Did you ever believe that if Hasbro were to end Classics that it wouldnt matter because there are others to continue it?

The price thing sucks and given time it will work itself out but damn am I so in love with TFs now with a very very special thanks to 3rd party groups.

12. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    well his question had a quote of me sayinf "unfair"...i never said that so ignored that part...

and i also gave an example of BBTS taking advantage with my Zarana example

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I gave $5 per item in terms of operating expense. I mean, I think that is being generous. For the thousands of items they handle on a daily basis, saying that 1 item makes up for $5 of total operating cost is being very generous.

Also, I purposely did it for 1 item. My point is, the TF fandom is getting that price hike when it happens. The other toys on their site didn't magically get a 10% increase. Ours did. If they increased the price evenly accross the board for all imported figures we would see a blip increase in price.

I have gone through this before so please look back. Short but simple debate points to what you say:

- Yes, I agree with you about US. But, it's not the cause.
    - If this was the cause all TF vendors would increase their price. So far only 2 did. Smaller vendors did not.
    - If this was the cause, all import figures on their site would go up. Only these went up
    - There is no real cheaper retail. TFSource/BBTS probably make up for 80% of all US based third party sales. I am saying we should find those cheaper retailers and go there. They are out there, you just need to know them.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    QFT and Agreement:

So, welcome to Utopia.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Your example said that you think/guess they got it for 14$. Is there ground for that basis aside from searching? I am not saying its not possible. I am saying it is speculation. It could be more, it could be less.

I think I didn't convey my 1 item point correctly, nor was it directed at you. I am talking about "profit" isn't so clearly seen with just analyzing any single product. For example, they can make a profit on item A and lose money on item B. Combined together, they may still profit, but if we look at just one item we may only see the trees and not the forest. Just another perspective to look at things, irrespective of the arguments. That's what I was trying to get at. If you say 5$ on operating cost, its already under 30% profit. That becomes subjective whether it is "too much" or "too little".

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Head slams on table.

I think what I really should do is open up a store and sell TFers. LOL. Knowing what people believe, and how no matter what you show them in tangible proof they choose to ignore makes me think their is a killing to be made here.

This is what happens to people in this world. They try to make a change and when everyone ignores them, they say screw it, let me screw these suckers over.

THE GLOBAL ECONOMY DID NOT CAUSE THIS DAMN INCREASE. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO PROVE THAT ANY FURTHER!

17. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

In this economy, I wish collector stores would cut their customers some slack. Hasbro sells toys at Walmart pirces while places like ebay has toys going for 20 dollars. We're not even sure if ebay sellers are getting their toys from the store or straight from the factories in China.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Alucard can I join in as an equal partner?

All we have to do is charge a buck less than BBTS, heck we can go 5 - 10 lower, and we'll make a fortune.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Alright, so Alucard and Transbot can open up their own Retail store and charge the same as BBTS and TFsource and make millions!

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    EXO send me your email address so I can assure that our store will not sell to you :p