Unfair pricing on TFers toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am starting this thread as too many threads have been taken off course by pricing discussions. This can be a centralized place to talk about unfair pricing, or what you deem to be unfair pricing with TF toys. This way we can stop taking other threads off topic.

This can include things like:
    - BBTS raises toy prices and TFSource follows suit. THOSE BASTARDS!
    - Hercules is too expensive, but I am buying it anyway
    - Target deluxes are now $**.**. THOSE BASTARDS!

So, where we last off in other threads has to do with increases in price from $47.99 to $51.99 in the casuality line. I call BS and Greed, others disagree, let's continue.

In the famous words of a SNL character, discuss amongst yourself (The actual statement was, "A peanut is neither a pea or a nut, discuss amongst yourselves")

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Hi, has the party started yet?

Pricing, where to begin.

I have no issues when stores raise prices. Stores run on long term plans and price hikes can not be done overnight (general statement) I would go as far as sayign that when Major retailers raise costs you can bet that it REALLY has to do with inflation and exchange rates and all that fun financial stuff.

ONLINE PRICE HIKES- What BBTS is doing now is learing that as a community, collectors will pay whatever you ask them to. Go for it, they are there to make a profit. But you can be a little more coy about it. A price hike after a pre order I get but to raise prices just to raise them? Thats a straight up fuck you to the customers. No Kickback's price did not go up because of (insert whatever financial reason you want here) the price was raised just because. What is my proof? I'll give you two. As Alucard mentioned no other price hikes occured at BBTS, just on Kickback. Second Automatoys has shown no price increase...hmmmm I wonder why?

Hercules prices - TFC did their part at putting them out for $80 a piece...refer to the previous comment about as to why Herc bots are selling for $100 on American sites.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Man, Kenny must be having it rough with companies who sell TF toys if he's been killed twice.

A price increase of $4 for a 3rd party toy? I know people will complain about anything but...really? Four measly dollars for a toy that already cost close to $50 to begin with?

4. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I kow, they raised the deluxe figures an extra dollar and they make the figures smaller.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't really complain a whole lot over a price hike from $9.99 to $11.99 or something. $100 to $200+ for a Masterpiece figure? That kinda gets me started, but then again I can understand and appreciate the things on the cost in that can go into things.

I will say that the recent Target (perhaps only my local Target?) increased the basic Cyberverse figures from $4.99 to $6 and some change. That may have something to do with that $5 off coupon, though. Still, it seems really petty. That being said, I'm not going to say a whole lot about that either.

Also, with all of this in mind, I can be pretty cheap sometimes. I do like getting a good deal and getting what I feel is a good value for what I spend.

6. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Anybody taking bets on how long it will be before those people from Europeland recant their experiences with pricing?

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Not yet, we may have overdone it in the last thread. Here let me start it with Exo's last post to me:

The 50% I mention does not take into account storage fees and the such. However, to be fair, the % profit per figure taking into account everything would be somewhere in the 40% area.

You have to keep in mind that the worker fees and storage expenses are spread across their whole product category. So the 10,000 or so items that they have, if not more all take this factor into account. I don't even want to imagine the amount of stock they have. Do that math, and me giving $9 away for Amazon Unicron is being very generous.

The thing that really upsets me is that we willing take these increases. If you look at other collectible toys, they do not except the same type of cost increases that TF collectors except.

The prices on TFers are constantly going up. The same drastic increases are not seen with Gundams and other such items. BBTS and TFSource know that if there is profit to be made. It is to be made on TF fans.

Look at the radical clearance sales they have where items drop 10-50%. Even at those discounts they are breaking even at the very least. It is not like they are losing money on the deep discounts they give. I mean they have stuff on clearance today that is 50% cheaper then a week ago. And that stuff is on preorder. That means that the item is not even in yet and it is cheaper then last week.

I just would like to present all the evidence and people to come to their own conclusions. I think people here are to blind to see what is in front of their face. Maybe through some form of education and rational discussion, prices will eventually decrease.

I am all for profit, but companies that make 50% profit piss me off. BBTS is a middleman, can you imagine such profits at Walmart or anything else? Of course not.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I guess one can say that, but in the thread where this was started two things were stated:

1- A $4 increase is actually close to a 10% increase. If we saw 10% increases across TFers would it be ok with you? Also, let's keep in mind these have been out for 2 months. So 10% increase in 2 months.

2- Based off the current stock on all 3 of the causality figures, BBTS will make an extra $12,300 with the $4 increase.

So $4 maybe, oh, it's just $4 but even millions of penny's add to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    The bbts prices are nothing new. And if its something specialty like the TFC hercules team. It seems like a dependable way to get the set. I have perorders for exgraver and heavylabor right now. I doubt I'll regret the price in the end.
    Because I do enough toy shopping to make up for it later in sales and deals.

Target and other retailers
    they have sales around the holiday shopping season. Because that department is profiting enough to operate. And sales are a shopping incentive for both casual and experienced toy shoppers.

while it may seem seedy to raise the price in the lull.
    Its just generally that the department is less profitable right now. So they calculated a special price point for this situation on the Transformers Aisle.

And if a collector sees a later wave deluxe out at target in person. They probably will pay that. Even if the figures become more common later.
    If you don't like it. I suggest you wait it out, or find some other places to shop. TJmaxx for example.

From a import perspective. I think the nature of Transformers is not as uniform as Gundam. Where you can generally say its going to be like other gundams in the same line, component wise. But with a different sculpt and accessory selection. We don't really have a fantastic grasp of what a import Transformer should cost right now. Given all the factors of shipping, the US dollar value declining production costs even the , for the takara designers and plastic and metal casting. Even Packageing. and If the time of middlemen be paid as well such as when someone waits in line for Toy show exclusives.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This thread won't end well.

However, I'll contribute a little ...

I agree.

I'm not going to bitch about the actual pricing, but I think it just needs to be accepted that this community does get taken advantage of. Price hikes like the one we've seen on the Not-Insecticons are just pure attempts at making more money. Sure, I can be in the field of "it's ONLY 4 dollaz!" but it's still a fact that this move IMO is associated with making more money.

Does it suck for the people who didn't preorder? Yes it does (don't come back with the "you should havez preorderz it dummy!), I get it. Do we have to accept it? Yes we do; we can always order it from Captured Prey, etc. Stores like BBTS and TFsource can do it because those figures will still sell.

Oh well. I'm over it.

11. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Not before I complain about excessive prices in Latinoamericaland!

C O M P L A I N

I'm done.

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    meh, I will response when I am in a more... uh... serious discussion mode ;)  THanks for the thread. AT LEAST I hope this will keep the topic contained. I am tired of seeing members (not you, Alucard) giving online retailers "low blows" all the time. I am sick of seeing it every post. If those members spite them so much, don't order. Simple as that.

Hope to have a good, intelligent discussion that I can kill work time with, but hoping that the retards that follows blindly will either wake up or shut up.

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Also I want to bring in basic business items to people here as well, so everyone is aware.

#1: Companies that even remotely know what they are doing that rely on import and export business have currency protection. So let's say you use a Credit Card to purchase goods. Depending the credit you have, you can get the lowest cost exchange rate for that month. Now that is rare for a BBTS. They are not big enough for that. But at the very least, they will get the lowest from the point of purchase.

This means that if I purchase something on the first of August and the exchange rate was 1:1.1 and at the end of the month it was 1:1.5, when my credit bill comes in, I am paying 1:1.1. not 1:1.5. Deoending on the Business you can lock in a rate for the month. So if for instance there is a point in the month where it is 1:1 and you want to lock in you can so you orders at 1:1,1 and it dropped to 1:1 you can lock on that. Some other businesses get the default lowest rate of the month. But you need huge business and credit for that.

#2: Yet again, a company knowing anything that they are doing have fixed shipping costs. Now this depends if they have any freaking clue on what they are doing and how much business they do. My dad has been doing logistics for 30+ years now and I worked with him for about 6 years.

A company in the know will have points of drop off in the country they so chose. So for instance I do my purchasing form China. So I have a delivery location in China. Get all stock to go there. Then I have my frieght Truck pick every thing up and do ocean frieght to a local port and have that shipment trucked to my location. Sounds expensive doesn't it. Ouch, wow.

The average invoice was around $3,000 to have this done. We are talking those big ass things you on those huge frieght trucks. HUGE BIG SHIPMENTS.

You know how much stock you fit on there? Any clue?

Now, to make things better, you have that contracted, so your price cannot go over that amount. So guess what, your costs are fixed. No matter gas cost and the such.

Now I want to see what other world events control these price increases in 2 months?

14. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

there's price increases then there zellers.

zellers in canada have been deliberately increasing its prices not only on TF but every single product then marks its down a tad stating its on rebate. i remember when i just bought an RTS jazz which rebated to from 15.99$ to 9.99$ then a week later it went up to around 18.99$ then tagged 25% on all TF products. i remember this clearly months ago since there was a hidden jazz which still had a tag 15.99$ then the others had 18.99$

15. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Re: Stormbomb/Backfiery's increases of late... didn't the yen's value relative to the USD just increase?

I know some stores will adjust prices down the road because it ends up costing more than they originally thought it would... let me point out that BBTS doesn't increase the cost of stuff already preordered.

So suppose they're gonna get something in that they're selling for 100 bucks. And suppose that, let's say half of these are preordered.

But then they find out that the price they speculated on isn't correct, either due to faulty info/exchange rate changes. So they need to bump prices.

BUT they can't bump the price for everyone who already preordered. So any price bump needs to make up for the amount they're potentially losing on preorders with fixed prices.

Not to say they don't bump prices due to demand - eg, I know they were probably charging 25 bucks for Warpath because they needed to try and frontload the costs of potentially clearancing his wavemates, who were on their second-and-third case assortments and thus stood a chance of causing them to lose money.

16. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Zellers has expensive Deluxes though. And didn't all the retailers up prices?

Honestly, when we got bumped up to 15.99, I was essentially of the mindset that "Wow. That took awhile." given how long we HAD the 14.99 Deluxe pricepoint as a constant price over the years.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    This thread can't get to the heart of the issue without breaking board rules. The real reason prices go up is not that the toy is more expensive, it's because the $ is worth less so it takes more of them to purchase it. As for why that's happening, we can't discuss politics so this thread is useless.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    We could start. We could get into a lot of sociological arguing about a group of people complaining about a 2 USD price hike on figures complain about a group of people forced in a 10 USD hike on the very same figures.

I don't mind a 4 USD hike on the price of a single, third party figure.

I believe that the Hercules figures cost more on BBTS because they are shipped directly from the manufacturer if bought from their site, but BBTS has to pay shipping as well. They're more like the liaison rather than a retailer on that one, I speculate.

I for one, find the retail pricing of most transformers quite fair when compared to other figures on the market. It's fans and scalpers [not exclusively one or the other] that make the prices as they are. I keep seeing Wreck-Gars and Perceptors being sold for an asking 20 USD price, loose.

Lastly, for masterpiece-esque figures, please remember that US prices are artificially low for the market, forced by chains like walmart and the likes. Whilst I detest a 250 USD price as much as the next guy, please don't assume that MP Convoy 2.0 can be sold for 80 USD WITH the trailer at a walmart. That's not their regular retail. Not even close.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    As for Alucard's point on "fixed currency rate", I want to note that, the US to Yen ratio has been dropping a good amount the last 2 months. While you may have the beginning/end of the month thing going on, the beginning of this month was already 76:1. I think back in the middle of August it was still something like 81.

So instead of looking it as BBTS hiked their prices up, personally I see it in a more positive light (I don't expect everyone to see it this way):

BBTS should have risen the price for preorders, but their policy, and part of their perk for preorders is not only you not needing to pay until they are in stock, but that the price is locked for you. I see it as a good policy.

In addition, I see what Alucard mean by having a delivery location, say BBTS having a spot in Japan, but would it be economical for BBTS to have a spot in... CHINA? Personally? maybe not. Most of BBTS's products come from Japan and America. THere are rare instances of products directly from China. Japanese goods are usually made in Japan. So then, the question in this point is whether or not they have a delivery point on China (at least for Hercule's sake). The answer is, we don't know for sure, hence, its all speculation. Do they have a location in Japan? We don't know, either. again, its speculation, but with a higher probability. We don't really know the "size" of BBTS to consider this option as well. We can speculate based on the products they offer, BUT this is only still, a speculation.

20. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

when you have a limited supply of an item like 3rd party merchandise and a growing fan/collectors market you have increased demand hence prices go up. its why people paid 3k on a ps3 when they first came out.its why people are now paying crazy prices for "missoni" stuff from target.its why tfc's hercules costs so much supply and demand.

and for the record store exclusives are not there for sales they are there to generate foot traffic and that is what brings in the dollars. i dont just go to target for a HA leadfoot i go to get other stuff as well. them having leadfoot is an incentive to go there as opposed to walmart or tru.