Unexpected 360 expenses

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SubotaiBaghatur, Oct 29, 2006.

1. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I finally caved in and made the next gen plunge and bought the $400 dollar 360 model, but now I find that to get the damned contraption online a wireless X-box receiver is $100, of course then I would also need to buy a router, and I dont have any idea how online performance would fare without having a hardwired connection.

What have some of you done? Looking for recommendations here. Connecting two devices to my internets is a new phenomena to me...

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The set up I have going on here my computer and the 360 are hardwired in and my Dad’s computer is connected wireless. The only time I have ever had a problem with on-line play this way was if someone was doing a large download.

3. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I just ran a wire from my router to the 360. We have a couple computers,the 360 and my ps2 running off of it at the same time and I dont have any problems with lag online.

You can probably get yourself a cheap router for around $50 I would guess and then you just have to buy some cable. That would be the easiest as long as you dont mind having a long cable running across the wall/ceiling or wherever you put it.

4. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Just use an ethernet cable, you don't HAVE to buy the wireless adapter to get online if you don't want to. Although, if you have more than one computer in the house a wireless router is the way to go, no drilling holes in the walls to run ethernet cable through or anything like that.

5. SubotaiBaghatur

OK, thanks guys. I just bought a router and I am going to run cable through the place which I guess I will spool up when not playing online. SHouldnt be too big of a deal, just dont like doing things too messy and didnt feel like shelling out a bunch more money after spending so much on the system.

6. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

This is why I won't be going online with consoles anytime soon.

I have a big two story house and the computer room where our router is the direct opposite end of the house to where my room and the consoles are. So its way to impractical.

And I cant be bothered spending up on a wifi set up just to play some FPS's online.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    damn system should have wi-fi built in. DS, PSP, Wii, and PS3 all have it built-in.

8. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I had the old wireless Xbox adapter made for the original Xbox. It worked perfectly with my Xbox and 360 (with an MS router which I don't recomend because they have a hardware firewall that can't be turned off). It's currently wired to my router since my 360 sets on top of my pc but the $100 wirless adapter is said to have better/updated protocols.

9. SubotaiBaghatur

Wow it was odd entering my credit card info into my television...

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

but why do they need to have them built in? if i get one i'm going to use my normal router, i don't need a wireless router for something that's going to stay in one place for the rest of it's life. now i can see with the PSP and DS but, Xbox360? plus what happenes when something else comes a long? that's even better then Wi-fi? with the Xbox360, they can upgrade, but is that the case for Wii or PS3? not unless it's removable.

11. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

But with wireless you have a more noticable lag with more computers than with a wired. I have a PS2 and computer in one room, and a computer in the one below it. I have the router in the basement with one computer, and ran Ethernet cables from the other one and the PS2 down to the router through the air ducts by peeling the metal back on the top and then pushing it back almost in place after I passed the wire through. I'm going to get a router with both wireless and wired ports once I get the Wii and a laptop.

12. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

We have a wireless router downstairs and a computer upstairs running its internet off of it and there really isnt any lag on there at all. Granted the upstairs one isnt used for online gaming but I've never had any problems with it.

As for the reasoning in getting a wireless adapter I think the best reason alone is the fact that its one less wire hanging out of your ceiling,or one less wall plug you have to install. That and the fact that if you wanted to you could move your system somewhere else in the house without worrying about cables being long enough.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I likes me some Cable. Yup.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like some cable too, but my modem/router only has one socket for a cable, which is used by the 360 and the computers are done wireless.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Mine runs on wireless, I can't be arsed to run cables between floors and I've had all the necessary network hardware in my house for donkeys years.

16. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Cabled. Even if i did trust wireless connections, I'm not paying what MS want for a wireless adapter.