Unemployment Claim Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darkmgmstr, Feb 4, 2010.

1. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

So here is my situation:
    I quit my retail job in June 2009 because I was graduating from college and my parents were pushing me into moving back with them once my apartment lease was done. Before putting in my two weeks notice, I had ask if I could be transferred to another store near my parents' home since I was happy working with the company. About two weeks later, I'd find out that my request was denied and was not given a reason as to why.

In July 2009, I underwent surgery to repair my fractured and dislocated wrist. During that time, my left arm was placed in a cast and I couldn't undertake chores requiring heavy lifting. During my recovery process, I was granted Disability because of my surgery. The doctors did say I could work but I was not allowed to do heavy lifting of any sort. This lasted until November 2009.

Between the time of August and November, I was in the process of looking for jobs, filling out applications, and doing some interviews, but I had no success.

When my Disability expired in November, I filed for Unemployment in December 2009. I had stated that my reasons for being unemployed was that I quit my job because I was moving out of the area. I also do not have a car so commuting to work would be more a hassle. I also explained about how my workplace had denied my request to transfer. I underwent several interviews to check my claim and I was approved.

Fast forward to today, I received in the mail a letter stating that my former employer is appealing my Unemployment Claim. Now, I have to go to face a representative of their in front of a judge and argue out my case. It states that we are allowed to bring witnesses and present written support to argue our case.

I'm asking for any advice from anyone who has gone through what I'm going. Keep in mind that I was in great standing with my employer when I left, I've have a good work ethic and only gotten into some trouble once in a while. According to the letter, I will be sent a copy of the appeal along with the court date and time.

I'd appreciate any info on this matter since I am new to this and I must fight to keep my unemployment to pay off my expenses and while I keep finding a secure job. Thanks.

2. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised that you qualify for unemployment at all since you quit your job, usually you only get that if you are fired or laid off. At least that's how it is where I live. The only advice I could give anyone that files for unemployment is don't try to be honest like I did. I was laid off and got unemployment and during that time I had my knee replaced, I tried to be honest when asked if I looked for work that week and said no although I resumed the job search the very next week. Long story short I was denied unemployment until my time was up since they said I couldn't look for work like they wanted. I guess good people do finish last.

Anyways, good luck with it all, hope you do better than I did.

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't beleive you can collect umemployment if you quit. My suggestion is to apply anywhere you can. Sign up at McDonald's or Walmart or something. Maybe alot easier than fighting an unemployment claim.

4. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I have not gone though this but I can tell you with 99% certainty that you will probably lose your claim.