Unemployed? For how long? What did you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blackconvoy_D01, Apr 23, 2009.

1. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    I was a Field HR Rep for an outsourcing firm. I've been unemployed since 4/08. Looking for work, thinking of going into the family biz.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I was unemployed for six months just over a year ago.

I burned through my severance, went to a lot of interviews and played the videogames inbetween.

Oh and I went to Botcon. Lulz.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's why I ignored you. :3

4. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i got laid off feb 28tth. been on unemployment since, going for foodstamps on friday. i was working at a Yacht building company, had been there for 4 1/2 years. i kinda knew i'd be one of the first to go when the rumor started going around they were going to start layoffs because i have been going to school and only working 20 hours a week. my dad has been helping where he can but not much. the biggest thing he's going to help out with is i'm going to get my A+ certs in about 3 weeks and he's going to pay for that. i've not really been searching for a job real hard cause i wanna get this semester of school out of the way. other then that it's a day to day thing..............but fortunetly my wife has been real understanding for the most part and is helping to keep my spirit up. (she doesn't work eather, and we have 2 kids.)

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've never been unwillingly unemployed, because the military is awesome. If you don't have a job and you have no prospects, you should totally go talk to a recruiter and just see what they have to offer you.

6. blackconvoy_D01

Ebay:
    the ones here in SC are a bunch of JO's. I was former Army and I tried to reenlist but they want me to do the job I previously had to which I declined. I wanted to USCG reserves but they have a 100 mile from sea rule, that anyone who lives more than 100 miles from sea cannot sign up. And dont get me started on the AF.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do you still have GI Bill benefits that you can use? Being unemployed is a perfect time to go back to school, especially in this economy.

8. blackconvoy_D01

Ebay:
    Set up for fall semester. Going into the family biz.

9. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Been unemployed since August '08, after 10 years with the company. I ran the advertising department for a local homebuilder, until it went out of business. I've had several interviews in the past 3 months but to no avail, despite the fact that I've dropped my salary requirements by $10K. Severance is long gone and I'm now on emergency unemployment benefits and borrowing money from my parents. I'm currently trying to come up with a plan B since plan A (find a job that will continue the career path I was on) isn't happening.

10. blackconvoy_D01

Ebay:
    what are your ideas of plan b?

11. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I had a temporary break of employment, since they had to let me go (student clerk) from my government job to hire someone who could actually have access to databases and stuff. I'm going back because my boss got another job, so they need help around the office until they hire her. I applied for her job, but due to the high veteran unemployment rate and the vet's preference for federal jobs, it's looking like I'll be unemployed come July.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Awesome!

Real quick, if you were Reservist or Guardsman who deployed, make sure to ask about Chapter 1607 benefits as opposed to 1606. Also, if you were Active, consider biting the bullet and doing a "try-one" year in the Guard or Reserve. Even if you get stuck with your old job, you'll be eligible for Tuition Assistance during that year, for probably about $4,500 total. Plus the extra drill money won't hurt, and with a try-one, your chances of getting deployed are extremely low (but not zero).

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I was unemployed for about 5 months during the summer approximately 4 years ago. I went on unemployment, took free seminars on resume building, spent a couple of hours every day applying to jobs, and then just tried to enjoy my time.

14. blackconvoy_D01

Ebay:
    Wouldn the try one committ me for 7 yrs? I would consider doing my old job for a year, maybe. but not for longer than that. BTW, thank you for the info.

15. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was made redundant, middle of Feb of this year, form my job as a Intermediate Mechanical Engineer.

Since them I've been looking for a new job and used the time to work on my final year dissertation. Which is now done and 2 copies printed and sitting, waiting to be handed in.

16. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Just got laid off Monday with 17 other co-workers...I was officially an A/V Tech Assistant, but unofficially I was also a Ships Plans Manager, Photography Assistant, and overall "Gofor" at Mystic Seaport.

According to the president my position wasn't "related to visitor experience." Really? That totally makes sense because we all know that making sure all the equipment in the exhibits are running properly, setting up A/V events, and helping install new exhibits has NOTHING to do with "visitor experience."

What a jackass...

Oh well, I'm not bitter one bit. Now I get to sit on my ass all day and watch The Price is Right...damn, that's an expensive couch Drew!

17. McBradders

For a second year, yeah. Don't think I haven't forgotten about that.

18. McBradders

Wow, you have all the luck :( 

Hope some of it's good.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I am not a recruiter--Grimlocka-go-go would be better qualified to answer that for sure. But! I'm pretty sure that try-one is just that, only a year. I know it's the military, and being cautious of the fine print is always a good idea, but I think it'd just be the one for you. Plus, while your old MOS might suck, going back to it would mean you didn't have to do another AIT. Or if you barter and beg and can get another MOS, that's a good job for a few months between now and September.

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I went to college straight after high school. This is my... 6th year here? Woooooo. I'm getting paid to do it now though and I didn't have to join the army! Although to be fair you guys get a much better deal over there if you're in the forces.