Understanding a Long-Distance Marriage (a call for help)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spartan Prime, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I agree with Moonstreaker and squirrelcar - you really need to assess whether this thing is going to work, and especially if she's committed to it or not. Its not a good sign if she left with friends on a day she was supposed to spend with you.

Did she at least get you signed up as her dependent, complete with ID card? And what's she doing on her end to get the Navy to bring you over? From what I heard repeatedly from Navy personnel transferring into my ANG unit (and what I experienced trying to get records and other things from them), you have to stay on their asses to get things done. Unfortunately it has to be the member that does that, not the dependent.

--Moony

2. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Basically, if you love the woman, do everything you can to keep your marriage sound. If it doesn't work despite your best efforts, then it wasn't meant to be. But give it everything you can.

Good luck.

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    Things show promise. She tried to stay up late for me to get home from work today (normally 1245pm, her 0145am), but i took some overtime and missed her.

I think instead of staying here another 11 weeks, I'll stay a month, then fly out there, try and change my ticket dates, and end this episode.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I would suggest running to her side. I believe it when the Bare Naked Ladies said "Absence makes the heart grow fungus"

I've never been a believer in long distance relationships because intimancy is a large part of relationships.

I'm sure you will both be ok but get to her soon.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I just made a last minute visit to my girlfriend this past weekend (she's in Virginia and Im in NH). I am so glad I did. I was planning to go down in October, but after working some overtime the last few weeks I got a couple of days off that I didn't expect to have.

Best move I made. We had a great time and it gave us a much needed opportunity to reconnect. I so did not want to leave her on Monday.

I say go over for a visit ASAP. Good luck :thumb 

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely- what really makes a relationship different then those of her friends? It's intimacy. Sure, you can still be best friends with a person and maybe have a special bond, but when it comes down to it, if someone is having fun talking with someone else, you don't consider it cheating and it isn't grounds for divorce. If someone is kissing someone else or worse, well that is cheating and it is grounds for divorce (granted, even talking, depending on what is talked about and in what way, could also be cheating).

7. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    Trying to find cheaper, earlier flights. I went through Skybus for a flight from Ohio to LA, and from LA to Tokyo on United through Orbitz. They say there's a $130 charge for ticket date changes, and a probable addition of any difference in additional fees for the ticket.

Anyone have any hints or good tips for this kind of thing? What dates are good, etc.? Any help in any form will be great.

additionally, I'm going to be selling off my old G1 collection to help with the move. Who wants to support my marriage!?

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As a dependent, if you have an ID you should be eligible for Space-A travel on a military flight. That'd be cheaper on account of being basically free, it'll flight directly to the base, and you don't have to schedule a flight (although you have to be prepared to be flexible).

Unfortunately, I've never used it and I'm told the system is difficult to navigate, so I can't be much help with the specifics. If you'd like, PM me and I can mebbe help you figure it out.

9. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    PM sent. With gusto.

10. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Sorry to hear about your situation, was in something similar a few years back that in the end didn't end well. PM me with a list or a thread of what you got and I'd be happy to take a looksee.