Under- and overrated movies.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by tfan123, Feb 7, 2010.

1. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    OMG its like you read my mind

2. Owner

Owner Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.

Overrated:
    American Pie - They compared it to Porkys...not even close

The Matrix films - Okay I get it they can do impossible things in the Matrix...got it good enough. Apparently the one thing they couldn't do in the Matrix was make Keanu emot.

With the exception of Elf anything staring Will Farrell guys he's just not that funny.

The Lord of the Rings films - Randell had it right three whole films of walking.

Underrated:
    Hexed - Its funny better than average, too bad no one's heard of it.

The Exorcist: Dominion and Exorcist: The Beginning - Technically same film told differant ways by differant directors but each film has awesome performances and great stories.

Exorcist III: Legion - Maybe I'm just an Exorcist whore but this film delivers, George C Scott, and Ed Flanders deliver, but Brad Dourif who voices Chucky steals the film easily his best performance.

Terminator 3 and Salvation - Yeah they don't hold the candle that T1 and T2 do, but 3 is a decent action flick, and Salvation its just a differant film, maybe not the best it could have been but it delivers a decent story with cool effects...coulda been much worse.

Frailty - Easliy the coolest film I've seen in a long time, great story great performances and nobody ever gives it credit. Hell no one even mentions it.

Jersey Girl - Hit in the back wash of the Jennifer Lopez, Ben Affleck break up and Gigli failure this touching and funny film is seriously overlooked.

My Bloody Valentine & My Bloody Valentine 3D - Original and Remake both films were awesome, the remake was easily the best Horror remake in a long time much better than Fridat the 13th either Halloween film, or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films.

Willard - The original is a cool film, but Crispin Glover owns the remake.

I'm sure I've missed a ton of films in either list.

3. Shnomon

Shnomon Member

Overrated:
    The Dark Knight- heavily, heavily, HEAVILY overrated!!!! It was a good movie, hell, it was a great movie, but it was in no way a piece of art, nor should it be considered the greatest movie of all time. If I have to see ONE MORE shitty joker imitation, I might go insane. And please stop cashing in on Heath Ledgers death, for Gods sake!

The Hangover- Saw it, got a few laughs, nothing special. It was basically Superbad, Sex Drive, Juno, and any other tween comedy put together, only with better actors and a few more laughs. It's nothing new or exciting.

ROTS- This was an abortion of a should-be great movie. The villains were awful, the characters stale, and it had fire hydrant acting. The only good part was the end, until it was ruined with "NOOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOooo!!!"

Underrated:
    Inglourious Basterds- Too many positive things I could say about this movie, so I wont get into it. Basically, this was a true work of art and Tarantino at his finest. Plus, how could you NOT like Hans Landa!?!

Rocky Picture Horror Show- Best.Movie.EVER

Zodiac- Enthralling, clever, and some great acting. It also has Robert Downey Jr. So see it.

District 9- A truly epic story with a great cast of generally unknown actors. The character development is amazing, and the constantly evolving story will leave you on the edge of your seat. The acting is top notch, the plot, while it may seem a bit cliche, manages to throw in some twists and make you attached to the main characters. And you have to be heartless not to feel terrible for Christopher and the Prawns.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Overated - The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight

Also, I hate southern America because I saw Deliverence once.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

B-but your mouth is so pretty :( 

6. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Some strange choices in this thread: since when were There Will Be Blood, Distrct 9 and Inglorious Basterds underrated?

Anyhoo, overrated: Avatar

Underrated: Final Fantasy:TSW, X-Files:IWTB, Terminator: Salvation

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to butt heads with your directly, but I always found this to be overrated. I gave it a shot- once about every 5 years to see if there was something I missed. Just watched it again within the past year. It felt like some great setups and just ultimately fell short to really take advantage of its characters.

Another overrated movie that people may hate me for is Empire Strikes Back. When I was young, I saw the whole trilogy plenty of times and found Empire to be the least satisfying movie of the 3. Essentially, good endings are important to me, and I found no real plot arch getting patched up at the end- just more questions and setup for the 3rd movie. I love it, like the other star wars movies, but when I got older and talked to more critical groups and the internet sprouted up, I found it overrated and always gets put above the others.

Underrated- GI joe Rise of Cobra comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, not one of the greatest movies of all time, but it had a good over the top feeling to it, very much like any of the old cartoon's episodes. I was entertained the whole time and it certrainly didn't have the gaping plotholes ROTF did.

Underrated- The Matrix sequels. Along the same lines as GI Joe these were entertaining but they get shat on a lot for not living up to the original in most people's minds. Not amazing, but not really that bad. Of course I could have done without the 13 hour dance/sex scene.

There's plenty more but I have typitis.

8. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Overrated - Akira, The Exorcist, Howl's Moving Castle

Underrated -

This.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I said, I'm not a Rocky Horror Picture Show fan, but how is it underrated? Tons of people I know love it and it has a huge following that goes beyond cult with people dressing the parts. I would say its rated pretty highly, so how is it underrated, unless you're directly referencing my own feelings towards it?

10. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Overrated: Transformers (2007), Transformers: ROTF, 2012, Godzilla (American Remake), Independence Day, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, Finding Nemo, Titanic, Avatar, 300.

Underrated: Idiocracy, The Mist, Cloverfield, The Blair Witch Project, [REC], Mars Attacks!, The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc, Kingdom of Heaven, Watchmen, Invictus, The Aviator, The Land Before Time, Transformers: The Movie (animated), The Hobbit (animated), The Road To El Dorado, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Heavy Metal, The Iron Giant, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Hey, I love underrrated movies! :tongue: 

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Its underrated among the people I know, but yeah I shouldn't really be labelling it as an underrated movie in general. I more wanted to agree with the "best movie ever bit".

Really?

12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Overrated: Jar Head
    Underrated: bebe's Kids, Blade, Rise of Cobra

13. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Overrated/Underrated Trology edition

Overrated: The Matrix Trilogy
    Underrated: The Resident Evil Trilogy(Soon to have a 4th film)

14. tfan123

tfan123 Well-Known Member

Here are more:
    Over:
    Twilight: Seriously, why do girls get so worked up over Taylor fucking Lautner? Its a known fact he's a wierdo, so get over it!

Micheal Jackson's This is It: Oh, so they release it AFTER he dies? I dont even like MJ, so of course i didnt see this movie, but it still was annoying going to a movie and having this be one of the previews.

Under:
    Every Saw movie: I actually have only seen 2, but it was sooo good. Need to see the other ones!

Paranormal Activity: This movie did get a lot of hype, but still! Not enough positive critic reviews! I fucking peed my pants when the guy flew towards the camera, and when that thing, (whatever it was), crawled under the bed!

Jennifers Body: Some of you guys are saying that Megan Fox is a bad actress, but i have to disagree. She was amazing in this movie, even if she agreed to let them make her do a lesbian kiss with Amanda seyfried.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Some of you have a very strange concept of what overrated and underrated means.

I always though that Benjamin Button was overrated and Jersey Girl was underrated.

16. ZarakZone

ZarakZone Wot's...Uh The Deal?

This seems a little unfounded, as it's a tribute film based on something that couldn't happen because of his death.

17. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

This thread is weird. What is the criterior? For example:

A lot of people find 'There Will Be Blood' a long and tedious way to spend an afternoon (for the record I liked it), and it wasn't exactly a box-office smash, but it has one of the best critical ratings of all time.

Conversley the critics (and me) HATED 'Transfomers : Revenge of the Fallen', yet to judge from the box office a whole bunch of people thought quite a bit of it (mad I tell you!).

Neither film could adequately be described as overrated.

I think an overrated film really needs to be one fawned over by fans and critics alike (I can hear the AVATAR haters sharpening their knives) and an underrated one perhaps should be drawn from the pool of 'ones that got away'.

I would certainly nominate Avatar as a recent candidate for overrated (best special effects of the last 10 years but NO STORY) and for underrated...

hmmmm...this is hard...

Del Toro's MIMIC I think is always rather unfairly snubbed. It goes to shit in the last half hour or so, but the first hour is fantastic suspenseful B movie stuff.

Equally his 'The Devils Backbone' but I think the critics loved that one.

18. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I missed the fact that you managed to say in two sentences, what took me the better part of half a page of text.

Oh well.

19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Overrated: My opinion of certain films.

Underrated: My opinion of certain films.

/thread.

20. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

*File into the thread and say something expected.*

/TFW2005

Oh and for content, Idiocracy is pretty underrated.