Uncanny x-men when did it lose steam?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by wheeljack01, May 13, 2007.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I have been reading uncanny x-men since the marc silvestri days and I have noticed in my opinion uncanny really went downhill after Claremont took over a second time with the neo arc. Where do you guys think the book really lost its momentum? I actually got to say I've not been too impressed with anything after claremonts second run either, though I thought some of Joe Casey's stuff was decent. This title has had such great stories like dark phoenix, proteus saga, days of future past, brood saga, klun gath arc, inferno, mutant massacare, fall of the mutants, and many more but ever since the movies came out I really feel it has been very boring. What do you guys think?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I enjoyed Claremont's Third run, and Brubaker's run is pretty badass.

Like any long running comic they have their ups and downs.

3. wheeljack01

I forgot to mention I do like Brubakers current run. Best the books been in ages. Love the team Bru has going, I mean how can you go wrong with Havok, Polaris, and nightcrawler on the same team? Phoenix in this run, is the best she's been since the claremont/ Romita Jr days(188-209).

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    As far as I'm concerned it started running out of steam after Fatal Attractions.

5. wheeljack01

One of my favorite runs after fatal attractions was the Joe Mad! run. It was a very fun book then.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    It's pretty good right now. It's starring second stringers, and a depowered prof X, and the shiar, but it still manages to be pretty awesome monthly.

7. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Uncanny X-Men hasn't been really good for a looooooooong time. Brubaker's run has been pretty decent, especially the first couple of issues, but it's nothing spectacular so far. Have you been reading Adjectiveless X-Men, by any chance? Mike Carey's been knocking that mother out of the park.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    To me I lost interest DURING Joe Mads run, specifically with Maggot and Joseph. Was Age of Apocolypse before or after that? Cuz the story and art rocked in that.

9. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

AoA was before that.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Before. A couple years before.

Actually, I'd say Uncanny started going downhill after the AoA. It seems like a lot of the X-books burned out most of their creative juices on the Age of Apocalypse, and everything that came afterwards was a steady downward descent. For me it bottomed out at Operation Zero Tolerance and it's lame-ass rushed conclusion. It got a bit better after that, but kind of leveled off at mediocre (at least until Chuck Austen came along with the worst run in the book's history). Brubaker is definitely the best writer the book has seen since Lobdell, although I prefer Carey's stuff over in Adjectiveless (I also prefer both to Astonishing, which has been a major disappointment after the first arc).

11. wheeljack01

Yeah, zero tolerance, maggot, and Joesph sucked but I loved the trial of gambit arc.

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

For me, it lost steam after they switched to the "Gold and Blue teams" at the time X-Men #1 came out.

It's recently picked up again finally with Brubaker's run.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I always prefered the Gold Team to the Blue Team. It just seemed like they were the power hitters of the X-men yet they weren't as popular since they weren't has 90s.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I didn't like the split period. But my main problem wasn't the team, it was the stories. It started with all the Bishop crap.

15. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    House of M.

It was in my top ten in the shop for sales. Afterwards, I lost 80% of my sales. Seriously, Spider-girl outsales it in my shop right now.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me there were a couple of low points...one was after AoA, then after the "Xorn" sage (yeahm Jean Grey dies yet again) and finally House of M. The one that cheesed me off the most was the Xorn stage...why did Marvel turn him into a Magneto wannabe...arrghhh...

17. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

i like Brubaker's run, but his current arc could have been done in six issues, insted of 12!

18. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I buy it out of habit now.
    I can barely follow what's going on anymore and its "cool" to read but not memorable in any way. Over saturation, no impact and the second rate aspect of the book, next to "event du jour"/Astonishing/X-men has really diminished Uncanny.

19. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uncanny's been an up and down ride for a long, long time. As a long term reader (first issue 176) I've seen lots of highs and lows. I thought the Jim Lee run was a big big high - Claremont always seems better with a top draw artist on board (Byrne, Paul Smith, Jim Lee and to a lesser extent JrJr's early run and the start of Silvestri's run. I think the break up of the "new" X-Men circa Mutant Massacre is a crucial point as it's the largest rejig the team's had since GS1. Silvestri's run is marked by the status quo of the book being broken up by moving them, followed by essentially 2 years of stories about various X-Men members rather than the team itself (not Marc's fault at all). It's also around this point Magneto becomes a villain again which is a backwards step. From there it's easier to pin point the highlights - which for me consist of AoA and the Joe Mad stuff before the title implodes under Seagle by reverting the team back to it's glory days in the mid 80s incarnation instead of pushing on with the new characters that were there. Yes it was good then but the title had moved on.

I stopped reading there. I only started again during the early days of the Chuck Austin run..... which I think are rather good. Read the early issues bringing in the Juggernaut and others and bringing back Havok. For me his run went Tango Ultra after the Havok/Polaris wedding story - the Nightcrawler stuff. Havok works better without Polaris, and vice versa. It's rehashing something that's been done to death again - see earlier pt about Seagle's team.

20. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

For me circa Grant Morrison and all the changes to the other books.