Un-modding TFC Megs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by trystendaycey, Oct 7, 2009.

1. trystendaycey

trystendaycey Captain CAAAAAAVEMAAANNN!

Okay, not sure where this belongs, but I would like some help on the following:

I have a TFC Megatron that is an absolutely beautiful figure save the mod to the barrel. I have managed to remove the portion that actually sticks out, but as this piece seems to be made of pressed wood chips (my MP Megs was plastic and came out quite easily) it has left a significant portion in the barrel. Also, this inhibits the firing mechanism that came with this figure.

I have tried soaking the barrel in water, chipping away at the wood inside, and even (somewhat foolishly) drilling into it. (left a bit of a mark :(  )

It's not terribly bothersome, and I am still quite thankful to have G1 Megatron, but something feels half-done about it. Is there an effective way to remove what is left without further damaging Megatron's barrel? Would a barrel from a G1 junker work? Thanks in advance for any advise regarding fixing.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, my modded Megatrons have always just been a plastic plug that wasn't glued or anything. Can you maybe carefully screw in a very small screw and pull that out with a pliers or vicegrips?

3. trystendaycey

The wood that is in the barrel comes out in small splinters; I'm afraid that I would only have a hole where the screw was and that nothing else would come out with it.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i suggest you find a drill bit that is about 1/4 inch smaller than the inside diameter of the barrel and use that to carefully drill out most of the wood then find a dowel that will fit inside the newly drilled hole with room to spare and wrap that with sand paper and sand away the rest of the wood plug, just be careful and find away to clamp your megs that won't damage it I suggest a couple of scrap pieces of wood and some chucks of the foam they use in furniture to pad megs to prevent damage to his finish and only use enough pressure to hold megs in place so as not to smash him

other will tell you if my thoughts are a bad idea im going with what makes sense to me , but i have never owned a G1 meg or any of the rereleases of that mold

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Drilling it out makes sense - there's not much else you can do other than experimenting with different solvents (be careful with that idea, you may end up damaging the plastic if you soak it in the wrong thing).

Soaking in alcohol is a good place to start.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is the wood glued in? Is the wood hard or soft?

If it's not unlike a stuck cork, just pick at it with a small screw driver or some other utensil, and it should eventually fall out. Which reminds me, why not try a corkscrew?

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought of a corkscrew too, Megs' barrel diameter is smaller than a wine bottle though.

8. trystendaycey

The wood is pretty hard and the best way I know to describe it is shards in a suspension of glue. So the solvent idea may be the best way to go. Better a modded megs than a megs with no barrel!

I have tried drilling it and the wood is hard enough that it makes the drill follow the path of least resistance, which unfortunately is the barrel :( 

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'm not too sure what is your problem... but couldn't you push it out from the other side with a nail or something?

10. trystendaycey

It's not solid enough for that. The glue is very strong and the wood gives just enough to break off little bits but not really affect the whole.

11. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    take off the barrel if you can with out ruining the toy and soak for a a fw hours in warm not hot water ( if the water is too hot it could deform the barrel) that should loosen the glue and if nothing else make the wood softer and easier to get out

DO NOT TRY THIS AS IT HAS A HIGH RISK OF CAUSING BARREL DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION

12. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Edit: *nevermind*

13. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    yes it could XD I meant to say stay right there and work at it to prevent that but scratch the whole idea as potentially dangerous it seems there is no perfectly safe way to get the damn plug out though, good luckj to the OP on getting it out

14. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

Is there any sort of solvent that could dissolve the glue without ruining the plastic? Once the glue is out, it's simply a matter of pushing the wood chunk out from behind, or using a screw and pliers to corkscrew it out.

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be very worried about damaging the paint with solvents IMO just keep chipping away and in time it will break up