Ultra Magnus wtf?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerdling, May 14, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    In how many cartoon series does Ultra Magnus actually appear as an all-white Prime? I know Dreamwave did that thing and now every prime toy has been juiced as a UM figure, but did this happen in every TF series?

I ask because for series I never watched or kept up with like WWI, I'm wondering if UM ever did make an appearance in that form.

2. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I don't know about Volume 2, but UM was never in the original.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The while cab was never in a cartoon series alone...it's just an easy repaint for Hasbro to captiolize on. I don't mind it so much, I always thought the 'White Prime' should be its own character as a kid, but the 'Ultra magnus' repaints have gotten outta hand IMO.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I dislike the Magnus is Prime with armor thing...

If Magnus needed armor, why doesn't Prime have it?!?

5. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    IIRC Ultramagnus appeared in his Armoured form only in the War Within Comic. I dont think Ultra Magnus was really in the US G1 Comics but the UK G1 comics followed the trend of him transforming from truck with trailer to armoured form.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I can't stand the whole "Battle armour" thing. It's nothing more than a way to cash in on repaints.

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I think they should at least make the battle armour to go with it. Especially the Classics one.

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At the risk of getting this exhausted discussion going again, it's worth mentioning that the trailer and the cab appeared separately on the box art of the original Ultra Magnus toy; since the very inception of the character.

It was always confusing to me as a kid that the cartoon never addressed that fact--when it obviously was a feature that increased the play value of the toy (so much so that it would be featured on the front of the box).

By finally writing it into official canon, Dreamwave corrected what was (to me) a long-running mistake.

[​IMG]

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Wasn't there that long-rumoured season 4 "script" where Optimus was meant to get wounded and Magnus had to use his "core robot" repainted as Optimus to impersonate Prime for whatever reason? Not that it matters much, considering most of the stuff about that "series" seems to be wishful thinking from the fans, but it does make for a nice idea.

Personally though I think the Magnus = armoured form ignoring the white Prime was a decision on the part of Hasbro in the day. They wanted to sell this guy as a new character, not as a white Optimus in armour, so they must have instructed the TV show writers and the comics team not to use the white Optimus form.
    Might be worth asking Simon Furman that sometime, to see if he has any memories of how that played out.

10. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I used to be a white-Prime hater, but actually acquiring a few of the toys has changed my mind. Painting Classics Magnus with a teal faceplate and red eyes did a whole lot to improve the figure, in my opinion. And playing with Revoltech Magnus has made me a happy white-Prime fan. He seems like a totally different character than battle-armor UM, who I actually don't like much.

If hasbro wasn't so repaint happy, I wonder if white Magnus would get a better fan reception?

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Being the super, OCD Magnus fan that I am, I see it like this.

Magnus is the core, inner robot. He becomes ULTRA Magnus when he puts on his armor.

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

As a kid, I always used the White cab as the "plague resistant prime" from 'The Return of Optimus Prime"

13. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    It's funny how much about a cartoon can change in a 20 minute episode.

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, to be fair, I don't think that was what was on the minds of the Dreamwave crew when they started the whole thing by showing Ultra Magnus without his armour in their comic.

I agree that the repaints are a bit lame, but I have to admit that when I read that DW comic, I thought it was really cool. Total fangasm. If only they had actually gotten to the point of explaining WHY Ultra Magnus is a white Optimus?

I mean, they'd have to come up with something pretty good. The TF Fandom is a hard sell on stuff like that, probably because a lot of us have been making up our own canon for Transformers for a long long time :) 

zmog

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Because Magnus just can't deal with being so exposed.

I honestly don't care either way, I like the white repaints moreso than the Nemesis Prime/Scourge repaints. I mean, the fans are so hypocritical on this issue.
    Magnus (as far as I'm concerned, he's only Ultra with armor) was a white Prime, and a lot of fans accuse Hasbro of being cheap for repainting Prime molds in the same manner. But if you look at say, Starscream, you have people begging Hasbro to repaint these molds into Thundercracker, Skywarp, etc. I mean, isn't that just as cheap? Or is Magnus somehow undeserving?
    I say bring on the white movie Prime repaints!
    DN

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's not ALL that bad if you consider Hasbro or Takara (or third party figures/statues) as their own thing, instead of combining the totals.

17. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

But that had to design that trailer. Maybe it was a rejected Optimus Prime design?

I think having the mystery between the two is unique....

Its always raised questions to me...

Are they brothers? Old war buddies? Who was designed first?

18. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I wouldn't mind all the white cab repaints if they actually designed some damn trailer armor to go with it.

19. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Magnus has the armor so he would not end up being labeled as Albino Prime.

20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I guess I'm one of the few "Albino Prime" fans. I never liked Ultra Magnus cartoon design much, nor particularly cared for the character, but I tend to think Prime molds look awesome in white. I actually wish Magnus HAD been a white Prime in the cartoon.... it would have had the same vibe as the Seeker trio: physically identical robots with different personalities.

I completely understand folks disliking the white repaints, though, or seeing them as lazy cash-grabs (which I'll admit they are). Frankly, I wish every version of Ultra Magnus had a white "inner-Prime" AND a more traditional armored form. That way everyone is happy! :)