Heavy/Scratch: Ultra Magnus [WIP] [Update: 5.21.11]

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, May 19, 2011.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    UPDATE [5.21.11]: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/405647-ultra-magnus-wip-2.html#post6069500

Remember my very first TF custom back in 2007? http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/207055-classics-ultra-magnus-g1-style.html

(for details on the original custom, head, or whatever, just hit up the link and check it out)

Well, ever since I did this, I've been meaning to go back and redo the entire chest piece, shoulder stacks, and do a better overall paint job than my original. I also may or may not mod the arms like I did with my Classics Prime. Originally, I didn't paint the Classics Magnus legs--I thought the blues matched well enough. After looking at it in pics and in person over the last 3 1/2 years, I noticed how "off" it all looked with arms and chest being painted and the legs left factory. So I took them apart and painted them up on and off last week in between other stuff. I also repainted the red on the chest and mid-section with a more vibrant (better looking) red. I also mixed some Future into the paints (Testors Acryl) to help seal and protect. Need to repaint the arms and shoulders and touch up the red on the hinged head mount, but those are pretty minor areas to hit.

First up, I used 91% alcohol to remove the paint from the windshield (still need to do minor cleanup around the windshield wipers and top edge). That was one of the things I hated, but liked. I liked that it had the red chest underneath, but it compromised the clear windshield in alt mode originally. It was something that a lot of people didn't care for, though they loved how it looked in bot mode (same here). I used an old CD case and cut out a section a bit larger than the Classics Magnus windshield. This will be the base of the chest plate. I started cutting small pieces of "H" beam styrene and various styrene rods & strips to help build some of the base of the chest plate that would cover over the new windshield plate. The chest pieces are too long as they are here, so these will be cut down (and maybe even slimmed down a bit). It's still a WIP, so I'm still plotting the build--going from inside out on it.

I took the gun from TFTM Landmine and cut off the hinged back piece. This will be the part that the chest plate attaches to. I plan to attach it to the grill area in bot mode and have it fold out and down so that in alt mode, it sits behind the cab of the truck (this was previously done by Massdestruction, so big shout out to him). Since I was new to the game and had ZERO styrene experience at the time, I did the best with what I had and decided to just have the chest plate stay attached. It's been the one thing I've wanted to fix since completing it. lol

This is the exact same Classics Magnus--my very first TF custom. I just decided to use my skills to make this sucker what it should have been to begin with. I'll add more updates and details as I go along. Just working on this in between a couple of commissions.

Attached Files:

2. SSR

SSR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow... this is how I would wish someone would do UM.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think it's really cool that you're revisiting your first custom. Feels like coming home, huh? :) 

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :drool: 

5. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Wow! This is the one that made me do mine! I love going back to the well every once in a while. Looking great!

6. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

Loving the progress.

Wish I had time to revisit mine to make the head better, but too busy with other projects.

Good luck with the rest of the modding. Can't wait to see the results.

7. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Your styrene skills are amazing man this looks so awesome

8. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking good my man.

9. Langrisser

Langrisser Crawling Chaos

News Credits:
    Wow. Can't wait to see the end result.

10. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

want to do something like this but cant find a classics ultra magnus for under 80 dollars

11. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Your skills have come a very long way. I never liked that his chest piece was still there in Alt mode. Can't wait to see you finish this up.

12. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love it. Absolutely great. I personally don't think a classics Ultra Magnus has to have a trailer. It can go animated ultra magnus. By that I mean, the vehicle mode can just be one solid piece, so long as the actual robot mode is not compromised.

13. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks guys! And I agree, I've gotten MUCH better with my styrene work (and build work in general). It's been hard to come by Classics Magnus for a lot of folks, ever since they were clearanced out at Target years ago. I'd say check out some of the high quality KO's--I've heard they're great quality for a KO and much cheaper (maybe about $40-$50). So maybe look into it and see if you can snag one of those for customizing, if you want to try something like this.

New Updates attached below!

Did some antenna work on the head, drilled out the bottom of the head and attached a ball joint to the hinge with a screw and reinforced with superglue. Also attached the chest piece now, so it folds down and will now sit in the back in alt mode. More updates to come (and maybe even a video to show the mods and details on this).

Attached Files:

14. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    nice!

15. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

now THAT's classics ultra magnus. looking awesome brian.

16. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

lookin good dude

17. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Nice. I'd love to have that foldable chest on mine from back in the day.

18. sh002

sh002 Banned

looks nice.

19. MROptimusPrime

MROptimusPrime LEGAL NAME: OPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    Does this transform, if so are there truck mode pics for it?

20. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It still transforms--no alt mode pics yet. Still working on some stuff for bot mode first. I probably won't show alt mode pics until complete (which isn't far off).