Ultra Magnus...which version to get?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Well there is one transformer I do want to get before I stop buying for a while and it's Ultra Magnus.

With there being so many magnus's out there and now that I have limited funds to work with I'm wondering what's the best one to get [We're working with a budget of $40-50 at least maybe less]

I know I can't get that City Commander Ultra Magnus which I'd just love to have. I really want to either get a Generation 1 Version or a RID Version which looked pretty cool.

Basically I'm looking for the cheapest version of Ultra Magnus [Not counting the small little Mini RID one or the War Within Titanium Ultra Magnus]

Which Ultra Magnus would be the better choice [and investment] if I had to choose between trying to get a Generation 1 or a RID Version. I'm sure a few of you have ones for sale.

I haven't bought much of transformers till last month when I started buying up a ton of the Energon Bots and a few Classics Bots.

Just need some advice on this here.

2. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I bought a mint as hell G1 Magnus on ebay for $67 early this year.
    Stickers UNapplied but included. Original box from 86. Silver face version, hate those blue faced ones. I also have the RID version and it's awesome in truck mode w/ the bling bling grill of all time.

If you have RID Prime get the RID Magnus so you can form Omega Prime which is off the chain.
    No RID Prime? 1st one you find at your price wins, that should make the hunt a little more interesting.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  3. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

my personal vote would go towards the gen 1 ultra magnus. A couple months ago I got really lucky off ebay and found a MISB commemorative series magnus for $40 with shipping. Though depends how picky you are. You can get a gen 1 magnus loose for around your budget pretty easily. Finding a complete gen 1 magnus is pretty hard and can get pretty pricey, upwards of around $100 I'd say. The commemorative series ones are a little bit cheaper but not by that much. If you're not familiar with the commemorative series line it was a Toys R Us exclusive line that was released about 5 years ago or so and they were the exact generation 1 molds rereleased.

4. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    go for animated magnus

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    You could probably get a G1 for about that much. Here is my line up IF money were not an issue.
    1. Custom City Commander addon
    2. G1
    3. Reissue those missiles suck though
    4. Energon

RID Ultra Magnus blows!!!
    Once again, this is just my opinion.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    G1 Magnus is a brick in 'bot mode. An impressive-looking brick for a collector, but a brick nevertheless.

TFA Ultra Magnus is exactly $40 and worth every penny for its sheer awesomeness.

I love Energon Magnus too, and you should be able to get one loose for less than $40 these days.

7. taterx

What about the grill of bling? BTW I hope that meet up will happen, it would be cool to see you again pal.

8. Tyjos

Well Animated Magnus is a bit out of my budget right now....and I'm not sure I want anymore Animated Figures...except maybe one or two.

I just really like RID Magnus cause his nice BFG and the combiner capability....and his trailer works too to carry other bots.

9. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds like you've made up your mind. I honestly do not like the looks of RID Ultra Magnus in robot mode. The truck mode looks kinda cool and he does have a heck of a lot more playability than the brick G1. Once again this is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions!!!! Just kidding. So get to surfing the net and get your RID Magnus.
    Oh and the Kentucky meetup will happen and I'll be there!!!!

10. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

With the funds you have I would go for Animated UM. Hes a great refreshing rendition of UM. I have a G1 Reissue and I only got him because of the Shoulder Missiles to go on my City Commander Magnus. I honestly don't like G1 Magnus as he is literally a Brick next to no pose ability. If you are are will I would save up another $125.00 to get a CC Armor set if you already have Classics Magnus then save an extra $100.00 along with your $50.00 you already have.

11. Tyjos

I think they're selling RID Magnus for too much on ebay found one for around $44 or so but I'll try my luck here on the forums since it's worked out pretty good before. Normally I'd be searching ebay for hours but then again I'm doing my scouting now to see how much Magnus is going for.

And when it's a figure like Magnus I try to find a figure lot that has him in it...basically I don't like to spend too much on a single individual figure.

Though I'd love to find an Energon Magnus too....

12. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued, more info please?

13. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I once owned G1 Magnus (lost as a child), I DO own RiD Magnus.

G1 Magnus is quite cool, but will be also quite dated. He's a brick, and a big brick... but that's also G1 for you. G1 has its charms. One of these days, I know I'd like to get ahold of Encore Metroplex.

RiD Magnus is, in vehicle mode, an updated G1 Magnus, and interacts well with the RiD Car Brothers, as well as the Universe Deluxe cars... yep, Prowl, Silverstreak, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe and Ironhide all fit in the car carrier. I'm sure most of Classics 1.0 will fit, too, though I haven't tried (Hot Rod may be better on top because of his spoiler). If you're cool with the bot mode's appearance, it's more articulated and generally a little more fun to handle than G1 Magnus.

If you're looking for playability, articulation, etc... RiD magnus is the way to go. If you want classic toy nostalgia, I'd like to know where to get a G1 Magnus for around $40. :) 

If you can possibly pull it off, try and save for a City Commander set... it's fantabulous. I understand that's pretty expensive, though (it was quite the gift to myself, I don't normally buy toys that expensive, let alone an add-on)... so if your budget is set in stone... my opinion is RiD Magnus.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

No surprise here, I'd go for Classics Magnus. Even without the CC trailer, it's still a great toy.

15. Tyjos

Well I'll go with RID Magnus, already in the works with a seller here on the forum to get him next month.

That is part of the selling pro to me for RID Magnus is his trailer is functional as it is to carry other bots. I'll make sure to put my Classics Prowl in it to check it out once I get him next month.

16. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

This seem like a pretty good deal for Magnus vs Skywarp 2 pack $65.00 plus $10.00 shipping.
    Transformers CLASSICS Ultra Magnus & Skywarp MISB
    EDIT: I know you only have $40.00 to $50.00 to spend but I was just giving you a heads up. Classics Magnus is a pretty sweet figure.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Wish I got mine for that price. I paid $90 for it. And that was just a month and a half ago.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Dude, don't buy from random ebay dealers. And if you can't "buy it now", bidding wars are no fun either.

Instead, support your friendly, neighborhood Junkion Exchange, or post a query on your regional Sightings forum here. I got my Engeron Magnus in a local trade thanks to the GA sightings forum.

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you can't afford Animated Magnus I wouldn't think you could afford a G1 reissue, let alone an original of the other two unless it's dirt cheap, and then I'd wonder about the condition unless you're lucky. Me personally, if it's between G1 and the other one, I'd go with the G1 reissue. If you want a neat posable figure, I'd go with Animated. I'd suggest the Classics version too, but you may have to drop quite a bit more for a loose one or one of the two twopacks you can find it in. Even without the City Commander armor, it's a nice figure. Of course there's always the Masterpiece, but obviously that's quite pricey.

There's always the nifty little Revoltech Magnus too! I have a soft spot for those ones.

20. taterx

those energon magnus are $70-250 on ebay right now.:scalper