Ultra Magnus, Quickswitch, and Photodegradation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lunar Archivist, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Okay, here's a question for all of you out there about photodegradation.

Over the last couple of months, I've had about three Ultra Magnuses and a Quickswitch pass through my place. With the exception of the crappy plastic tire Ultra Magnus, every other one I've seen has yellowing to his white plastic parts and greening to his blue parts. Unlike my childhood Metroplex, though, where only the parts of him that were exposed to direct sunlight discolored, the yellowing and greening seems to be uniform and occur even in places where the sunlight could not possibly reach.

This being the case, I have a question for the hardcore collectors here:

1. Have you ever seen an Ultra Magnus - one with a painted face, rubber tires, etc.- that actually has a bone-white cab where the white plastic flows seamlessly together with the diecast metal and the blue plastic accessories and trailer are actually sky blue rather than this blueish green, corroded copper color?

2. What color are Quickswitch's blue parts supposed to be? Sky blue or sort of a blueish green? I can't quick figure out if the coloring of mine is normal or also suffering from photodegradation...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Quickswitch is a blue-green. I got him brand-new on Christmas 1988 and he was never a sky-blue so you're good there.

Can't help with the Magnus, mine's a Takara reissue.

3. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, Fosterlager. :) 

As interesting as Quickswitch is, though, he's kind of a brick and not nearly as nice as Sixshot. Now I just need replacement stickers...

Anyone out there have information on Ultra Magnus? :) 

4. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As I understand it Magnus' blue comes in two variations, blue or turquoise.

This site will be useful to you, I think.

On the matter of the white on Magnus, my '86 Magnus is as white as my reissue Magnus; although the '86 Magnus is of the plastic wheeled unpainted face variety.