Ultra Magnus question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autobot X, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

Did the comics ever give any explanation about why Ultra Magnus is just a white Optimus?

Because I'm thinking of Optimus as Orion Pax or Optronix who gets upgraded by the Matrix...so why does Ultra Magnus look just like him? Was he upgraded from someone else? Was he cloned?

What gives?

2. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

If you're referring to the original G1, they never even brought up the white robot inside.

And as for the DW/IDW G1...that continuity doesn't even follow the original G1 one so we don't even know if there ever was a transformer called Orion Pax.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    G1 Ultra Magnus is a redeco of Diaclone Powered Convoy. An upgrade for Convoy (Optimus) but G1 Ultra Magnus never really had an origin story. Even Daniel and Wheelie (in a bad Season 3 episode) couldn't find out Ultra Magnus' birthday.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  4. Autobot X

I knew about Powered Convoy and the Diaclone origins of the Transformers, and I understand the differences between cartoon G1 and DW/IDW G1...I was just trying to consolidate my question a little.

Here's what I know: In the cartoon G1, Magnus was never seen without his armor, so for all intents and purposes, he wasn't really a "white Optimus."

But from what I've seen of DW/IDW G1 on the internet (I don't have the disposable income for Transformers and Transformers comics), Optronix is upgraded to Optimus Prime by the Matrix, then takes on his familar Earth form later. The pics I've seen of DW Ultra Magnus without his armor strongly imply that that he uses the same Earth form as Optimus. I suppose that Magnus's Cybertronian form could have been completely different from Optimus's. Their shared Earth mode could then just be a coincidence. But then you've got the 6" Titanium "War Within" Ultra Magnus, which confuses things.

For my own personal universe, I like the idea of using Animated Cybertron mode Optimus for Orion Pax, who is then upgraded to Optimus Prime, using the Classics Voyager figure. Of course, that cuts out a Cybertron mode Optimus, but that doesn't worry me that much.

My City Commander set is coming soon, so Classics Ultra Magnus will be in heavy rotation, but that's where I hit that sticky bit of "Who did Ultra Magnus used to be?" Or was he always Ultra Magnus? If so, why does Ultra Magnus's basic form look just like Optimus's "I've got the touch" Matrix-upgraded form?

I thought about having Ultra Magnus be an upgraded version of Cybertron Armorhide. After all, he is a little blue-and-white truck.

My OCD demands that I make sense of these things, people!!!

5. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I have yet to read revelations, but have we learned IDW Optimus's origin story yet?

Although I have yet to read the marvel stuff with Ultra Magnus in it(working on it). I think in that continuity he was built by the autobot Elders to be a rebel leader against the decepticons.

Could be wrong on that.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Marvel G1 Prime and Magnus as far as I know were just two Autobots with no relationship beyond serving the same cause. The inner white robot was never seen and never mentioned at all in Marvel G1.

IDW Optimus has not had an origin story, although it is implied that he began as Orion Pax (along with Magnus) as both are seen in variations on their War Within forms, with different heads, in Megatron Origin. Both were in the security forces, presumably Prime eventually took over leadership following Sentinel Prime's death. How much you want to take Megatron Origin as reliable history though based on that panel is debatable since there's the whole thing about female Transformers being results of Jhiaxus' experiments so there probably shouldn't have been one standing there. Plus it's a lot of assumptions based on a single panel.

7. Autobot X

So can we assume that the similarity in appearance of the basic (i.e., non-armored) robot modes is pure coincidence?

8. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Wasn't Magnus Optimus's brother in the DW comics?

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think so, whatever that's supposed to mean in relation to giant transforming robots.

10. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, Magnus was created on Cybertron long after Prime and the Ark had disappeared.

Yeah, both appear at Fastback and Bumper's funeral, but neither speak nor are they referred to, so is it really them at the funeral?

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well you could just take it Op's body type is also used for ultra magnus and the matrix didn't upgrade him cos he didn't need an upgrade it just acts and a more powerful fule or something and magnus has the armour to keep up with his "twin". I mean going by the G1 cartoon when Orino is rebuild in the Op's no one says he gets the matrix right away.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Lets see...

Ultra Magnus (The War Within Optimus Prime repaint) was on the other side of the planet when Optronix became Optimus Prime. Ultra Magnus wasn't entirely impressed about such a lowly archivist becoming Prime, even less when he learned that Optimus Prime closely resembled himself in appearance. So Ultra Magnus starts wearing his armor so that people wouldn't think they were related. But when Ultra Magnus meets and gets to know Optimus Prime, he comes to respect and admire him that when Magnus gets his earth mode, he purposely bases it on Optimus Prime's but since he is so used to wearing his armor, he keeps that on too.

13. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

Did you just make that up? 'Cause I'd buy that for an explanation.

14. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

doesn't seem all that complex to me.

is a white magnus and a red Optimus really any different that a white ratchet and a red ironhide?

Now in DW continuity "brothers" were described as when a spark "splits" when imbuing a transformer with life (such as sunstreaker and sideswipe) so that "could" be an explanation for Magnus/Optimus

then again not sure if it's beast wars or animated. but the idea of a "protoform....the make & model of the bot you were before you were "sparked"
    might just mean that Optimus/Magnus just rolled off the same assembely line so to speak. In this case their "brotherhood" might be thought of in a more racial respect

so whether your part of such a transformer "minirace" dosen't automaticly assume your someone's brother or even kinship, ironicaly in the TF Animated episode "autoboot camp" Bumblebee and Wasp are apparently based off the same protoform mold, not that Wasp cared

As for Magnus's armor it could simply be after 4 million years offline on Earth. Magnus just took advantage of some "upgrades" to make him a more powerful warrior. Or he was simply trying to express himself as an individual

15. Autobot X

Mad Jester, is that a Cylon in your avatar?

16. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

It is! It's a Cylon playing poker. I took the old Dogs Playing Poker image and put Cylons around the table. I'll post a picture of it in the TV & Movies thread later today.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Yes.

Actually it is implied in "5 faces of Darkness part 4".

18. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Sir I bow to your superior knowledge of season 3.

Okay we could look it as this, Op's is new prime, brave powerful popular, so when new TF's are built or old ones rebuilt/upgraded they copyed him, I mean if it worked once why not again type of deal or fanboyisum.

19. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This question fits in the category "where the hell Prime's trailer goes after he transforms".

20. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Funny, lest go with it.
    and Bass XO has put it together nicely.