Ultra Magnus looks like Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ejack37, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Ejack37

Ejack37 Robot in Disguise

News Credits:
    So...I had just read the Dreamwave comics and was confused. I was reading the War and Peace story line. Ultra Magnus looks exactly like Optimus Prime except the fact that he is under a bunch of armor?

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Um you must be a new fan :) 

Ultra Magnus's G1 incarnation/toy has always been a white repaint of Optimus Prime, paired with a trailer that turns into his battle armor :)  The cartoon just never never showed it though.

3. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

His toy looks like Prime but in the cartoons he doesn't alot only his upper body looks like him

4. Ejack37

Ejack37 Robot in Disguise

News Credits:
    Yeah, I am talkin about the cartoon and comics in general. Not the toys. I know that is a repaint. I am talking about this picture.

[​IMG]

What I am asking is when he sheds his armor he looks like Optimus but just white?

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    The other guys pretty much covered it, as both of em had the same bodies, save of course the different colours & trailers.

That's a great pic, though. :) 

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

No offence to the OP, but did you just become a fan of Transformers like, a week ago?

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Um and you don't expect the toy to at least set a bit of the standard for the cartoon and comics? Seeing as how you got that image of TFWIKI, if you looked around to the toy section of the article, you'd clearly see that in many cases of his release, he does look exactly like Prime without the armor :) 

Either that or he's really young and he missed G1 completely :) 

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Never to late to learn, I say!

9. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Until this comic came out I thought the white Prime was just the toy being reused and not part of any story. I think it was cool when I saw it in the comic, but now I prefer to think of Ultra Magnus as not having any "armor" like the cartoon.

10. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    This is what I picture:
    After a long day of slagging Decepticons, and HEAVY drinking, UM heads home blitzed and wiped out. Once home, he starts shedding pieces of armor, leaving a trail of disgarded accessories from the front door to the bedroom. Armorless Ultra Magnus falls face first onto the bed, passing out on the way down, drifting into a drunken coma.
    The next morning, he over sleeps and finds himself late for his duty shift. He scrambles around his place trying to find all the pieces to his armor so he can get to work...
    "HAS ANYONE SEEN MY LEFT LEG ARMOR AND MY CHEST PLATE????"

Once arriving for duty, he finds Kup already well underway with the day's tasks. Kup sees Ultra Magnus enter the command center. "Nice that you could join us Commander. Long night?"
    Ultra Magnus is not amused with Kups sarcasm. "It would seem that I just can't handle my liquor."
    "There's a shocker," Kup snorts. "You havin' trouble getting dressed too?"
    Ultra Magnus turns sharply from his console to face Kup. "What the devil are you talking about old timer?"
    Kup grins, and folds his arms ever so patiently across his chest. "Your missile launchers are on backwards."
    Ultra Magnus is not immune to Kups sarcasm, and makes a mental note to add that to an ever growing list of things he's having trouble dealing with.

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hahahahah +rep

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Because thats how the 1986 toy is. This appearance reflects that.

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Ultra Magnus toy always had a "white Prime" cab as his core. Dreamwave was the first to incorporate the toy's gimmick into an official fiction and gave birth to a horde of white Prime/Magnus redecos. I, for one, love them for it. A bunch of my fellow fans? Not so much.

14. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that I hate it necessarily, particularly where the fiction is concerned - but as for Hasbro, it's no sale to me if he doesn't have his armor in some form. Heck, I wouldn't even have minded "Energon" repainting Optimus all white to make an Ultra Magnus figure so long as he came with aqua-colored Prime Force drones.

15. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    White Ultra Magnus repaints of Optimus Prime tended to either little seen store exclusives or Japanese releases.

In reality, very few "armorless" Ultra Magnus toys got produced for mass release across America.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly before War and Peace you could have Used Magnus's cab as the Return of Optimus Prime White Optimus Prime.

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Except for the weird proportions, the giant crotch, the puffy look, the rounded edges and the overall suckitude of Pat Lee.

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    White Optimus Prime has never bothered me.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Ill just... put this here...

[​IMG]

Ultra Magnus, while a different character in G1, was basically an upgraded form of the Optimus Prime "Convoy" toy from the original Diaclone line. Since it would have been weird to have a guy who looked exactly like the main good guy they just killed off, only white, Magnus stayed in his armor most of the time. And Prime got his first "super-suit" toy in the Powermasters line instead.

Actually, there's an interesting question, has anyone ever colorshifted a G1 Mangus so it's Optimus instead? Ie. The whites become reds, etc.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  20. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I too am a fan of the white prime being Magnus but it's difficult to associated his trailer as armour but instead just, him. A second skin if you will, like putting on a big jacket that becomes part of you. I think the brief glimpse of his transformation in the 1986 movie shows the can moving to the rear to the body implying that the animation model, if made into a 3D render would not have a white prime at the core of Ultra Magnus.

The day that hasbro gives us an original Magnus with trailer and armour is the day the earth burns and the seas boil away. Thank god Takara made powered Convoy in the first place as clearly Hasbro would never have thought to combine trucks with trailers for awesomesauce.