Heavy/Scratch: Ultra Magnus (Dreamwave)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by GeoKaiser, Jan 31, 2009.

1. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Mechabot-1/Omegatron TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Here is a custom Ultra Magnus coming out of his armor inspired by the Dreamwave cover. I made it about a year and a half ago prior to the City Commander armor. He took 2nd place at Botcon '08. He is made from a classics Ultra Magnus (before I knew he'd be sought after!) and a junker G1 Magnus trailer (it pained me to cut it up). And a smokestack from a rip-off prime.

Unfortunately, this is an articulated statue, it doesn't fully transform.

My goals were to show the armor attached and coming apart, have an updated and articulated white prime figure underneath, and to repaint the figures to be G1 accurate and metallic. It is entirely repainted with metallic paints and battle damaged. The white parts have a light blue antiquing.

The biggest challenge was trying to match the different scales of the classics prime and the G1 trailer. It took some careful cutting, but I it look OK. Gluing the G1 waist part helped made the dimensions look right (ignore the missing red thigh from the trailer!).

The chest armor is attached to the cab piece from the classics prime arm w/ resin. The leg armor hides a stump from the classics prime that was screwed on and has a few junk parts for detail on the inner leg. The leg and shoulder armor is from styrene sheets. The stickers are from Reprolabels.com. The magnus helmet has glossy blue plastic eyes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

that has\sweetness written all over it. thanks 4 sharing this awesome piece with us

3. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very nice!

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I distinctly remember this piece, and congrats on the award. :thumb 

Could you discuss your creation process a bit more? Are you able to make a full-fledged armored Magnus from this, or is this simply a display diaroma/statue type piece?

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    woot! I'm quite happy to see you post this here, I vividly remember seeing pics from BotCon of this piece, and my reactions to it, as well as the rest of the Radicons' too. Thanks for sharing, don't be a stranger.

6. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Gorillabot

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Wow man I love this piece. I love the metallic finish you gave the old school Magnus armor pieces.

7. toxicity

toxicity Active Member

wow this looks fantastic. I've been thinking about giving the dreamwave treatment to my classics magnus too, and I love how you got the eyes to turn out. how did you get the eyes to be such a nice orange? just a few layers of clear paint or what? all tips appreciated

8. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Mechabot-1/Omegatron TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Thanks! I had a blast making it.

The red on the figure is Pactra R/C Acryl Metallic Red from Testors. It's for R/C car bodies, but it's the only nice metallic red that I've come across. It can be ordered online from Testors. Several coats got the eyes a very bright red.

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice! :thumb 

10. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

that is really awesome