Ultra Magnus and the Matrix

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by fabexmax, Apr 6, 2011.

1. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So question? How come when Prime handed over the Matrix to Ultra Magnus in the '86 movie, why didnt magnus transform into another version of himself? Prime was Orion Pax and Rodimus Prime was Hot Rod? So why didn't Ultra Magnus become Magnus Prime or Ultra Primus? He was just Ultra Magnus with the matrix. LOL, he was set up to fail.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, the only time that we see the Matrix itself transform Orion Pax (Optronix in this case) into Optimus Prime is in The War Within.

In fact, we have never seen Optimus Prime power down the way Rodimus does when he loses the Matrix. He doesn't power up when he has it, either.

There's not really an answer AFAIK, but in the original Marvel comics circa 1987 or so Furman implied that a few rare Transformers have an "affinity" for the Matrix. Hot Rod can be presumed to be one of these; Thunderwing definitely is. Thunderwing gets powered up by the Matrix too, so much so that he slaughters the Autobots in a frontal assault and dropkicks Unicron off of Cybertron. (Of course one can argue that this is the Matrix itself just using him as a convenient vessel, but there is an analogy that can be drawn.)

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yeah, what Anguirus said. Depending on what continuity you view, the rules may state that certain Transformers are "destined" to wield the Matrix, and those outside the circle just can't use it at all. Hence why Magnus not only didn't evolve, he couldn't even open the damn thing (with its visible finger holes!). And Galvatron couldn't figure out how to use it against Unicron, either.

Of course, the "Burden Hardest to Bear" episode contradicts the events of the movie; as it shows Galvatron being haunted by the ghosts of former Matrix-Bearers due to his contact with it, and Scourge mutating. In the movie, there were no side effects of not being "meant" to use the Matrix; instead, it was just a case of nothing happening.

4. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I always figured it was because Hot Rod was the next Autobot period to touch the Matrix. And yeah, Ultra Magnus would've been called Magnus Prime, really cool me thinks. I love me some Hot Rod, but as Rodimus Prime, the leader of the Autobots, he's emo. He was emo before emo became a trend. Wuss. It would've been cool to see what Ultra Magnus would look like when he powered up.

5. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    In the G1 toon the Matrix did not change Orion into Prime either.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Crazy fan theory: the Matrix was just fucking with Hot Rod to get him to accept his destiny.

Also helps explain why a couple of Stunticons bushwhacked him. :lol 

7. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Ultra Magnus didn't power up from the matrix because "The Touch" wasn't playing. You only get to power up when the music tells you! This is true for the comics too, btw. If you could have heard the comic when Thunderwing powered up it would have been Sabbath covering "The Touch".

8. DC2k5

DC2k5 Well-Known Member

As a kid, after watching the movie, in my mind the reason was because Hot Rod touched the Matrix first. Accidentally getting in the way as it was being passed on to the next chosen bearer.

When it was passed on from Optimus, it 'locked' itself to only be useable by Hot Rod until such time has Hot Rod passed on and the next person touched it.

As an adult I don't exactly believe that. I think it is just that Magnus didn't have an affinity to the Matrix like some other Transformers do.

But hey you never know, maybe the reason it didn't do anything for him is Magnus only put it in the chest section of his Power Armor and not inside the chest of his inner albino self. ;) 

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

magnus never made the correct connection in his chest. he had to adjust it in the movie, but it still never really clicked into place.

10. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally I always thought that Magnus subconsciously kept himself from making the Matrix work for him, as he was thoroughly convinced that he wasn't worthy and wasn't meant to lead the Autobots.

11. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

I think the only explanations are what we come up with. I don't think the writers took any of this into consideration. They were just making half hour toy commercials. Well, less than half an hour if you don't count commercials.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

True
    Not exactly true.

Optimus reported being stronger with the Matrix in "Dark Awakening'.

Actually thats debatable.

We never saw exactly how Alpha Trion effected the change to Orion.

13. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    At first I was going to say The martix didn't choose him thats why he couldn't opening it when he was destroyed by Galvatron and Cyclonus but Anguirus is way too true.... In g1, Alpha Trion rebuilt Orion in to Optimus.

14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Well two things. The Matrix didn't turn Orian Pax into Optimus Prime, Alpha Trion did. It could be possible that Alpha Trion actually game Orian Pax the Matrix but sense he never turns back into Orian Pax like Rodimus keeps turning back into Hot Rod I'd say the Matrix has nothing to do with him being Optimus Prime.

The other thing is that the Matrix started glowing in Hot Rod's hands and Ultra Magus wasn't able to open the Matrix so it wouldn't of changed him because Hot Rod got in the way after Prime dropped it. It could be assumed that Magus would of been upgraded instead of Hot Rod if the Matrix had actually been passed to to him instead of dropped and caught by Hot Rod.

15. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only one to change forms was Rodimus because he actually opened the Matrix. At least that's the way I view it.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

dp

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

dp

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Like I said, we dont know how Alpha Trion effect the upgrade.

I'll repeat for a 3rd time.

Its debatable.

We dont know what Alpha did or how he did it because it was never animated.

Or it that the Matrix was only going to effect change on those with an affinity for it.

Scourges form was "changed" as well.

19. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^He speaks the truth

20. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I've always thought the same thing too.

Oh, also - Magnus Prime? Yeah...that does sound cool!