Ultra Magnus and his armor

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by defstar, Feb 14, 2007.

1. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Been watching the boards for awhile now and finally signed up...

I'm mainly big into G1...guess that is why the classics toy line has got me reliving Transformers all over again and i love it...

I've only seen the original cartoons and movie...none of the comics or later incarnations of the series...

So my question...Ultra Magnus had separate armor as a toy...but looked like he always had his armor on in the movie...where did the whole "armor" thing take place...did he actually ever remove it media wise...?

thanks for having me at TFW2005...

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the armor thing started in the dreamwave comic, G1 Vol. 2 - War and Peace. magnus gets trashed by shockwave, gets out of his "armor" and then makes a stand against him in his "standard" robot mode.

frankly, I hate this. Magnus is best with "armor". It's hard for me to consider any of the recent white optimus repaints as magnus.

Despite the dreamwave comic, I still think of Ultra Magnus the way he was in the original show, comics, and movie. I dont even consider that white cab of having a robot mode. ultra magnus is a red, blue, and white robot with an actual mouth and rocket launchers on his arms. not a lame white prime repaint.

3. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    Amen to that man!

Totally agree!

4. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I think they should have had the white cab, Magnus, upgrade to his armored form, Ultra Magnus, when he accepted the matrix from Optimus Prime, in the movie.
    The WWI comics had Optimus upgrade in size and we already had Hot Rod upgrade to Rodimus in the movie so it makes more sense, to me, if Ultra Magnus had an upgraded form. I'm guessing that due to animation limitations and the not yet seen Rodimus upgrade that they chose not to have Ultra magnus change.

It wasn't ever shown in the G1 cartoon but it has been assumed that Alpha Trion passed the matrix to Orion Pax, during his repairs, and he then became Optimus Prime. The WWI comic doesn't fit in with the G1 cartoon.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Where were you when I was having this exact debate on another thread a few days ago? It was me vs. 100 and I could have used some backup :) 

Anyway, quote for truth and all that. Well said, and no surprise here, I couldn't agree more.

6. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    white prime = Magnus
    combined with armored trailer = ULTRA MAGNUS

I don't mind the white primes, what bugs me is the lack of finishing the job and giving me some armor to put on him.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

My thoughts exactly. You wanna make an Ultra Magnus by repainting a popular Optimus Prime mold? Great. Include some armor with it. Having the smaller white robot is fine, but without the armor it seems pointless. I refuse to buy any, except for Classics, and only then because he comes with Skywarp.

8. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Thats a cool way to think about it. He does have a lot more possibilities in the armor than without.

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    HELL YES!!!!!

Finally someone who gets it!!!

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually, I thought the way that Dreamwave handled it in that particular story arc was brilliant. It really struck a chord, because they were simultaneously acknowledging the cartoon Magnus, and also the peculiarity of the toy that every kid remembered from way back when... what the heck is with the white Optimus? Not many of us knew about the whole "Convoy=different type of figure in Japan... accessories = power-up!" thing.

Also, it opened up a fresh can of worms... what IS the enigmatic link between Optimus and Magnus? Are they really brothers? Clones? Why does Magnus need the armour? All the mystery actually served to make me more interested in the Ultra Magnus character than I'd EVER been. I wanted answers... sadly none were forthcoming.

Unfortunately, that was Has/Tak's cue to start repainting every Prime figure as Magnus, which I have to admit, I find pretty lame. I agree... give us armour!

zmog

11. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Exactly how I have always looked at him. I don't mind the repaints of the Prime cabs, but just call it Magnus if that's all it is. Ultra Magnus should be reserved for something that's actually "Ultra".

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Ditto. I also agree, which is why I think Titanium G1 UM is going to be a favorite, while that silly War Within repaint is going to stick to the shelves.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ultra magnus armor = comfort blanket for dealing with it now

14. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

I can't believe i never looked at it like that before. Makes sense.

I just think Ultra Magnus should have had a better figure in the classics line. I also think Prime needs a freaking trailer for his figures.

15. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Flamebait, anyone? :poke  No? Good. :) 

Re: the link between Optimus and Magnus, I seem to remember a fanfic which served quite well as an origin story. IIRC Magnus (white robot) gets critically injured, is carried back to HQ by Optimus and undergoes the "Ultra" process to save his life. In this instance, the armour serves as a mobile life-support unit as well as an extra layer of shielding and while the white Magnus could exist outside it for short periods of time, he'd die if he wasn't reunited with it. As fanwank explanations go, it's the one I've always found easiest to buy into. :) 

16. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well, as for Magnus not upgrading when he received the Matrix in the movie. I always thought of it like this:
    He didn't upgrade to a stronger form because he wasn't meant to have the Matrix. Prime was, and Hot Rod was. Magnus was just there and Prime picked him, but he wasn't the one the Matrix wanted. That may not be accurate but that's how I always saw it.

Mike

17. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Magnus did not light the darkest hour so thats why he did not get a body upgrade

18. TrooperMaximus

TrooperMaximus TFW2K5 Sailor

Not challenging here but, Prime wasn't worthy either. He says so himself.

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Galvatron: Magnus! I want the Matrix!

UM: That's Ultra Magnus to you! Don't you see the armor?

Galvatron: Sweeps! Terminate him!

UM: Oh, I can't deal with this now. :lol 

Oh, I hope that doesn't mean Hot Rod was worthy.:wink: 

20. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Hotrod wasn't worthy... he was a keener, I guess the Matrix liked that in him :lol