Heavy/Scratch: ULTRA Devastator - 24"+ * Constructicons * WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bern, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ULTRA Devastator - 24"+ * Constructicons * WIP **UPDATE 4/10/10**

UPDATE 4/10/10: Some preliminary bot mode pics on post #52, Click Here

4/07/10: New pics of 'finalized' arm design for Bonecrusher at bottom of post.

Had this in the works since last year, finally got around to getting it together last month. Please note that everything pictured thus far is just a mock-up or placeholder of sorts.

Thank you so much to everyone who has built a Devastator or Menasor or any other combiner, you are all extremely inspiring and I've been lurking your threads for almost two years now! :D 

So my Devastator dream is to use all Voyager Class and above figures to create a monster. I want it to be G1 inspired, with a heavy dose of Mad Max/future combat construction vehicles that look like they can take a hit from anything. After lots of trial and error, I came up with this:

The list of bots to be used is as follows:

HOOK - Ultra Class Countdown/Cyb. Def. Red Alert + Cyb. Mudflap parts
    SCAVENGER - ROTF Voyager Demolishor + ROTF Leader Megatron parts
    BONECRUSHER - Voyager Dropshot + Cyb. Quickmix & ROTF Rampage parts
    LONG HAUL - ROTF Voyager Long Haul (LOL.)
    SCRAPPER - ROTF Supreme Devastor Scrapper + ROTF Long Haul & Stratosphere parts (bot mode!!)
    MIXMASTER - Cyb./Galaxy Force Optimus Prime + Quickmix parts

... and thats the list so far, there are probably a half dozen more bots getting chopped up for this. For instance, they will all have Ultra/Voyager Class heads from the Cyb./Universe line to match up as close as possible with their G1 counterparts.

Gonna use Primus forearms with modded Unicron hands (they just look too damn cool and the cannons fit in nicely with the theme), still on the fence about thighs and waist yet. But I have both Primuses and Unicrons on deck to donate their parts after I feel out a few different options. I may go another route completely as well.

I will be using a mix of heavy duty Struxx ball joints and connectors along with Lego Knights for the smaller stuff like the wrists. I still have a lot of bugs to work out, and my punchlist for this is a least a month long -- I will update as I go along!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 4/07/10: Bonecrusher arm:

I used a TFTM Leader Brawl leg and reconfigured it with screws, epoxy, and a hybrid Struxx/Lego Knights joint (!), and embedded a magnet into the end of the joint, and another magnet into the hold in Bonecrusher where it plugs in for extra strength. This should be able to hold at least a Voyager class bot in his hand. I would hate for all this to come together and have it be some delicate statue. Its gotta be strong and have decent playability.

I came up with the idea/reason for the Brawl leg because I want all the kibble and extra crap to partsform together into some kind of rolling drone, and depending on how the thighs and waist shape up, it will probably end up being some sort of tank that can sort of 'stand guard' while the Constructicons are...constructing stuff. I dunno. I just don't like any leftover parts. :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again and let me know what you think! :D 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Ambitious, much?:thumbs2:  Excellent choices of figures for the components. I didn't see Optimus as Mixmaster, that's for sure.

~Z

3. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow looks great it's gonna be a beast

4. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This looks very promising, good to see somebody thinking outside the box. You arent using Screamer's head for this masterpiece are you? [​IMG]

5. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Sekai no Hakaishin

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This looks awesome. Its really going to be huge!!

6. bad karma 99

bad karma 99 Imaginationist.

"... G1 inspired, with a heavy dose of Mad Max/future combat construction vehicles that look like they can take a hit from anything." - Hell yeah man, looking at these pics it looks like you're making your dream a reality.

With all the Voyager size and up bots available to us now it's gonna be awesome watching the insane combiners everyone comes up with.

I'll be watching your idea for Scrapper very closely, and I should thank you for your transformation idea for Mudflap as Hook. The pics you posted in my thread were helpful and I just might use it.

You're using Struxx too eh ? They've worked well for me so far.

What are your plans for articulation on this beast ? Anything we haven't seen much of ? ( chest, feet, shoulders )

7. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

8. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool! And as far as articulation, the Struxx ball joints are great for the limbs. But without really taking apart stuff and having it partsforms
    it may not be much more than usual. But I am definitely exploring all the options and trying to come up with different ways to do it.

Every bot, every connection, every configuration has been several revisions. For example, I started with a ROTF Mixmaster for the leg. It was just too small. So I tried a Movie Voyager Prime, but it would prove to be too unstable. And then it just dawned on me to use the Cybertron Prime, and it's so versatile it will work well for stability and poseability as well. Just gotta figure out how to get the mixer drum on legitimately.

9. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Have you considered asking someone from the boards to make a custom head for this monster? Just a thought, looks promising either way!

10. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

woah,now dev's going EXTRA,EXTRA large! hmmm,the supreme head might not do it justice,we really need something BIG! maybe fort max's head big or,make a huge head! about... as big as a half a deluxe class? perhaps?

11. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haha I'm actually half-considering making a Headmaster for this. :D 

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    DAMN!

13. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Um....this will be unreal when yo pull this off. Way to follow your dream! Well done, mate!

Those Long Haul legs on Scrapper look familiar..... HAHAHAHAH!!!

14. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Do you have that Headmaster thingy that came with Animated Bulkhead? That could be a great base/starting point for you.... Just a thought.

15. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Freakin awesome! and props for doing something completely out of the box!!

16. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks! And yes I will be using those are the legs you sent me, the ones in the pics are actually already ruined / not configured quite how I want. Lol. Ah well. And I'm gonna use that Animated Head for my Ownage AniMenasor ;) 

17. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Well, this is gonna be a monster. I Hope you can pull this off.

18. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

That's is giant! Hope it works out and then someone can photoshop a battle between him and Predaking X

19. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    awesome, but you should use the supreme-head of kidbash.org, cause is huge!

Attached Files:

20. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

wow this is going to be huge