Ultimatum...Seriously, WTF?! (Spoilers probably)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Predakwon, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I sold my entire Ultimate Spider-Man run (issue 25 until 115) because I have zero interest in this universe now.

Thanks Loeb.

2. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I might do that if ultimatum heads where I think is heading.

I got a fangirl who would buy my entire Xmen run and ultimate spidey for about 300 and thats enough for me I think

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't follow comics very closely, but why did Marvel feel they needed to end\restart the Ultimate continuity? Poor sales?

It just seems like the Ultimate line really went back to the core concepts of the characters while updating the settings and really stayed away from a lot of the junk storytelling that's been going on in the main Marvel continuity.

Now they do this nonsense that is basically throw five characters into half a page and kill three of them.

I know that people on the internet are generally more negative in their expression of things, but I have yet to find a single thread praising the book. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I seriously wonder what will be left for the relaunched titles or if anyone will care.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

At least they didn't get killed off panel... like Alpha Flight :cry 

5. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

goddamn it TT I had almost forgotten that I was grieving the death of Alpha Flight...

*statrs crying again for his fictional countrymen*

6. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

From the interviews I've seen, basically they've said they're doing it to create a new jumping on point for new readers with out all the continuity behind it. Which, I dunno... Didn't Marvel try that with the 616 universe in the 90's only to have that fail? And what about the fans already reading it?

7. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I knew this would happen. I don't own a single Ultimate book, but a friend collected them for a while.

Do you know when they lost it?

Ultimate Extinction's numbering.

1 of 6
    2 of 6
    3 of 6
    4 of 5
    5 of 5

Yes, that's quality product right there. So...who thinks they'll actually get Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk finished before the line folds?

No one?

I do get the main Thor book though. JMS actually hits the mythic notes properly. Still iffy on the new Hulk title...but that's it. After Civil War, One More Day, the Ultimate line's nonsense, and Secret Invasion...well, that just cements my decision.

The fact that they also tried to ram in all their old plots at hyper-speed didn't help much, either. Phoenix saga? *Yawn*. I thought the line was supposed to try a different direction. Not much of one, was it? And when they did, they sucked all the interest right out of it. Yes, Ga-lak-tus is so much more interesting as a non-speaking swarm of...whatevers than Kirby's grand, cosmic deity.

Hyper-violent, sexual, and "extreme" doesn't make it mature.

- Coeloptera

8. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:

dude whats with the HUGE bare breasts down there? hah

i think they were/are just spread too thin for talent/time, if they had just concntrated and worked more on the Ult. Uni. earlier on it COULD have (and i actually think they were afraid of it) far surpassed the normal universe. so they just half assed it and did what you said, im pretty sure by looking at the end of wolv. vs hulk's last issue theyll finish it its just going to be the crappy rushed unimaginitve ending noone wants.....

9. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Seems like it. Ultimate Spider-Man's sales are around 50,000 (to keep this in perspective--it's around the same level as the print run for the early issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, back when retailers weren't confident about the line.) Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four had sales below 50,000. Ultimates 3 had higher sales than all of them but was a mini-series anyway.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    And I think a lot of that was because Joe Mad ws on art and people just wanted to see his stuff. I really don't think he's that great but a lot of people seem to think so. Also, that book was announced before Leob went sour.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Thread BUMP!

I was at the comic book store getting my Transformers titles and the guys were nice enough to let me look through the issues.

I guess no one can really answer this, but WHAT IS THE POINT!??!?!??!?
    Seriously, on the one hand we have something cool in that Magneto is actually doing something world changing -on the other hand we have this small problem in that everything sucks.

It's like they just kept upping the gore and destruction hoping it would make it on the evening news or CNN and generate some noise.

By the time I saw Dr. Strange's head pop like a zit there was no shock or awe -it was just contrived and immature.
    Something the Ultimate Universe seldom was before.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i met with my comic buddies earlier and a few were ranting about this...i didn't even bother picking it up, and now i'm glad...marvel has just been killing themselves lately...one friend just got back from SDCC and he said marvel barely even felt like they were there, that it was more of an after thought and they decided to just take a backseat to Blackest Night this year...

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The guys I was talking to said that initially it sold well, but now it was not selling very well at all and they didn't even have to reorder the latest issues because they never sold out of the initial run.

Their take was they were trying to have an "event" to get people to notice the Ultimate Universe. I didn't understand that at all because they killed just about all the interesting things in the Ultimate Universe.
    What's left to notice.

It's amazing how the current Marvel super hero movies have gotten a lot of things right.
    The Spectacular Spider-man toon is an example of how to do everything right.
    The comics themselves are filled with problems though.
    I think once Marvel stops having all of these crossover "events" and maybe, I don't know, has the good guys fight the bad guys for a change I can "make mine Marvel" again.

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm finding the most of Marvel's best stuff out right now has almost no publicity or Joe Q involvemen (to my knowledge). Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, and oddly enough Marvel Adventures are all awesome.

15. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only Marvel books that I consistently read month-to-month are Captain America (I'm on board as long as Brubaker is) and Thor. I was really digging the revamp of Moon Knight and X-Force for a while before they started to go sour, along with 99% of their other titles.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i like the part where Magneto wiped out Wolverine (yay, one less Logan out there)...but what a lame way for Scott to die, at a press conference.

Other than that, this was another crappy crossover by Marvel

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, and state that Ultimatum is the new Clone Saga.

18. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

ah, ah, ahhh! Don't get too happy just yet. In Ultimatum #5 you do see Wolverine's hand do the classic fist clench indicating signs of life. So he's only, presumed dead. I'm just wondering when someone will write "the death of Jeph Loeb's career" and make that stick.

He seems to be cancer to everything he touches at the moment.

19. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Seeing that... Anyone read Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk? At one point they cut off Wolverine's head and found out his skin could 'breath' for his brain. Then they put his head in a depressurized room and found his brain went into stasis to save itself. So Fury speculates Wolverine's mutant ability isn't about just healing, it's about surviving. So yeah, it seems that as long as part of him survives intact, he lives.

I have to say, it used to be the majority of comics I was getting were Marvel, primarily the Ultimate Marvel comics being among my favorite story lines Marvel has done in the past 10 years. But now that they've destroyed everything I enjoyed about their stories, the only Marvel book I'm reading anymore is Young Avengers.

20. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Well, Space Marvel (Nova, Guardians, etc.) is still awesome ... and oddly enough, so is Iron Fist after Fraction left. I dropped Deadpool after Way started writing it, but I hear it's decent lately.

-XCN-