Ultimates 3 #1

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by tusko, Dec 7, 2007.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    It was an okay read... but I couldn't get into the issue that much. The art was muddled and I think needed darker inking or more contrast. It really derailed my idea of what the Ultimates look like due to the stylistic changes, and the cinematic wide-screen approach to storytelling was absent.

Anyone else really looking forward to this but taking a while to warm up to it?

2. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll get it, but it's not at the top of my reading list anymore like it used to be.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Wait, what? Oh shit I hope this got put in to my standing order D:

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I thought the issue was decent. The stuff with venom was pretty interesting. its obvious who he is looking for.. I didnt like the stuff with wanda and pietro. nasty!

Over all it wasnt that bad of a read. I will get this monthly.

a solid B+

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I'm getting this, but I wll be weary, oh yes.

BTW, any explanation given for Venom's return? Or did I miss something and was he already back in Ultimate Spiderman?

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

No explanation, Hes just looking for "her"

Im assuming hes looking for carnage. Who happens to be the Gwen Stacey clone.

7. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

After having just recently finished up the other volumes' trades, I was disappointed. I was gonna trade wait this one, but I loved the cover art and interiors, even as different as it is from Hitch's stuff. The storyline was ho-hum. I'm not adding it to my pull and probably will just trade wait the rest.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The art in this was mindblowingly awesome IMO. But I still couldn't bring myself to buy an Ultimate book.

9. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Joe Mad is great, but Cap's neck is thicker than his waist. The finish... the way the focus was not clear as to where you should be looking was frustrating. You didn't find that?

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    An atrocity in printed form.

11. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

The Wanda Pietro thing always creeped me out and I never thought they would make something of it, gross indeed.

There will be lots of 'splaining to do, so I hope the story stays good.

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    In a preview freebie, Loeb said he wanted to talk about morality issues in society and bring them to light. The incestous angle with Wanda and Pietro didn't really add to the storyline. I was like "thats IT?". There are bigger morality issues pertaining to the previous storylines, and Loeb went with that angle. Dissapointing.

I didn't mind the colors over the pencils but I did not like how a lot of the pencil work is obscured by the saturation. I normally don't mind Madureira's work but Black Panther was too much. Sure he's ripped but not THAT ripped. He looks like Colossus now.

The dialogue in the book lacked the seriousness of other volumes. I do like how Loeb made it a point that he would not try to copy Millar and that he would go in his own direction. However the previous volumes lead to high expectations for 3 since it is following up those two. I'm not expecting him to hack Millar's writing but to at least keep the serious tone. Its not there. Its now comical, and corny in some panels.

Loeb is hit or miss with me so I wasn't expecting a full fledged hit with this one. His "evolutions" story in Wolverine took a long time to pick up steam, one of his F4 stories wasn't that great, but Daredevil:Yellow was excellent. However there are other stories I have read from him that I wasn't impressed with. "Typical" comic book dialogue hurts this issue a LOT.

Minor issues with artwork aside(I do like it but think its more fitting with Ultimate X Men), this series would benefit from a more serious writer. Garth Ennis comes to mind.

Madureira's Hawkeye is BAD ASS.

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

never cared for the Ultimate universe (or Ultimates in fact) but with Mad drawing it, its all good with me.

14. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    The dialog and characterizations killed this book for me. It's ridiculous - I am all for a unique story from a new writer, but as I read this, I had to wonder if Loeb had even glanced at the previous two volumes of ULTIMATES.

THE ULTIMATES, at its best, has always been about the "wow" factor...in terms of art, characterization, and story. Although I enjoyed Mad's art, it was much too dark, and it felt as though the action wasn't clear. The characters didn't feel like "real people" anymore, and the story is just juvenile so far. If it was any other book, I'd be done.

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

No sir, I didn't like it.

Art was terrible though most of it, though there were some panels that were pretty nice. The writing....Jeph, dude, wtf happened?

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    He hasn't written as well since his son passed away. I think he'll get back on track eventually.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Yyyyeah. The writing was blegh. I'm not too familiar with Madureira's work but this was largely terrible. Unexplained reappearance of Ultimate Venom = fail.

Overall there's just way too much of a disconnect between this and Vols. 1 and 2. I'ma go buy Millar and Hitch's FF (every 5 months or so) instead.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, I had no idea this was out either. I need to get my ass to my store this weekend and make sure it's in my box.

Goddam, I love me some Ultimates. My favorite Marvel reimagining, hands-down.

EDIT: Shit, some of the comments here are a little worrying. I really hope it picks up from what y'all are describing. I'd hate to see this title tank.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  19. kurupted

kurupted Well-Known Member

joe mad's art was great as always. the coloring was fugly though. after loeb's travesty of an arc on wolverine this was decent. very fast paced and i really want ot see where its going.

20. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love Joe Mad like a brother, but I was not into all of the changes he made in these characters. Yeah a costume can change or hardware can be upgraded, but why make UThor's hammer look like 616Thor's when every other appearence of the character in the ultimate universe has the kept the Hammer consistant.