Ultimate X-Men Annual #1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primevil, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I picked this book up today and read it after catching up on seven issues of Ultimate X-Men. It was good to see Gambit and Rogue again since they left in "Cry Wolf", and I liked the nod to the Ultimate Spider-Man Annual in the Danger Room scene.

Since I started with the "Blockbuster" story, this was the first time I had seen Ultimate Juggernaut. And wow, is he stupid looking. The visor-like helmet is okay, but the rest of the costume just looks awful.

And just when I thought the story was going just like any other book, I get kicked in the nads with the book's special Annual-type event. Gambit's dead, and Rogue permanently absorbed his memories and powers when they kissed. If Beast's death hadn't told me that the Ultimate Universe was radically different from 616, this definitely would have.

2. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

Well, I'm not a fan of Ultimate anything, but I'll give them credit where credit is due- they at least had the balls to do something with the whole Gambit/Rogue thing...

3. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The story was ok..ish.
    However the art work sucked at point.

2 examples I can think of right away:
    1) When Rouge was crawling through the air duct (and don't even get me started on that..)
    2) The art work for Bobby at the end.
    He's suppose to be, what, 15 or 16?
    The art work made him look about 10 IMO.

Still the story was better the The Ultimates, but the Spiderman annual was leaps and bounds above them both.

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I was talking to Bill about this. I personally don't think the ending wil stick. More comic references.

- Charles Xavier is in posession of Gambit's body
    - Rogue says she can hear him in her head.

I think she absorbed his soul rather than just his powers and memories. They'll find some way of reuniting his body and spirit further on I think. And I agree the art on the book left something to be desired.

5. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I haven't found this yet (but I did pick up TPBs 7-11 yesturday)

6. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I sure hope so Wreckgar. I kinda had the same thought about it as well. If they leave him dead, I'm going to be super pissed. They finally made him look awesome. Kinda off topic, but when and how did Beast die?

7. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    In the New Mutants story

8. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

a sentnel attacked the white house (or was it the capitol building, I forget) and Beast got squished. Though the hit he took for falling debris in the first TPB looked rougher than that one...

9. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

What does 616 stand for?

10. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    It is the number given to the Marvel Universe that everything is set upon in the numbering of infinate universes that exist. Think of Marvel U as 616, Age of Apocalypse might be 729, Ultimate Universe could be 201, etc.