Ultimate Transformer costume - FEET WIP (Stage 2)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    If you've been wondering where my time's been going - then now you will know the answer.

I've recently been hired to create a Transformable costume. I made mention in another thread, but have been diligently working 14+ hours a day on this project.

I have approx. 2 weeks until I depart to Thailand to present the custom to my clients. I am quite excited, and also on the edge of my seat anticipating each result - as my deadline and pipeline were very short to begin with.

From the start of the project and in the coming weeks, I've been taking detailed notes, creating blueprints, sketches, drafts, etc. I want to document the entire project, because I feel one day it will benefit those wanting to take a stab at something like this (who wouldn't want a life-size TF costume?) I might actually make a digital downloadable tutorial.

Tonight, I will start this thread which focuses on the feet of the costume. The feet will actually not be connected to the lower leg, but to the wearer's feet. This idea will allow the wearer to freely move their foot full range : forward back and left/right.

I started by looking at many TF style feet through different references. It seems many TF style feet have this look to them...

[att]16122[/att]

I'm not going to go over the edge and create the bevel on the top's edge, but am going to follow the basic form of this style of foot.

I created a detailed blueprint on a drafting program. Any program with units of measurement will actually work. The costume's foot need to hold a boot inside it. The wearer's foot will be able to slide into this boot. I bought extra large boots, so that it can't be "too small" The specs call for a costume to fit a 5' 6" person.

I measures the boot's size, and recreated it on my program (the same size)
    I then designed the costume's foot to look like the above picture, but be able to fit the boot inside itself. Once completely drafted, and happy, I can take each shape on the program and check the dimensions.

From there, I translate the dimensions onto cardboard. Cardboard works great for the rough draft stage. it cuts easily and is cheap. It also is easy to put together with simple masking tape.

Here's 2 shots of the foot in cardboard stage:

[att]16117[/att]

[att]16118[/att]

Here is a picture of the boot which will mount inside the costume foot. I bought these which have a raised heel, which will give the robot added height. (I think it's a woman's boot design, but who cares - no one will see it)

[att]16119[/att]

The boot fits into the foot I made....
    I will mount it to the PVC plastic which is on the bottom using several screws.

[att]16120[/att]

Once the boot is in place, I create a cover to close off the foot.

[att]16121[/att]

END CARDBOARD STAGE

Coming up next....

From here, my next step is to take this entire cardboard foot apart. I then take each shape, and copy the same shape onto my medium (I am using 1/8 inch black PVC) I then put the black PVC pieces back together the same way the cardboard is, but adding additional supports on the interior. I want to add a good 5 to 6 inches of height to the costume wearer robot, I might add several sheets of plastic to the bottom of the feet.

Attached Files:

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

wowza

3. Oculophage

Oculophage Likes shiny objects.

Ebay:
    O_O;

4. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Did they at least give you specs on who will be wearing the costume...or are you doing a one size fits all.

5. Sideways

Sideways Banned

you're the man, frenzy.
    can't wait to see it done!

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    it's a 1-size-fits-person-about 130cm/5'6" tall, medium build. Much of the interior is plush foam, so you can wear it if you are about that height and have a beer gut.

7. Dover345

Dover345 Well-Known Member

Are you using sintra for this? It's a material I've used alot in my line of work (signmaker) and when you say 1/8th in PVC that's what I'm thinking. One thing I may suggest for any rounded edges is that you can heat that stuff with a heat gun or torch and bend it. The 1/8 in stuff bends real well, the 1/4 in stuff bends well too but you will get some discoloration at the bend especially with black. If you want straight bends along a long piece you can clamp the pvc between a table and a sturdy piece of wood and make the bend along the edge of the table. It will take a little trial and error but it's actually a pretty easy process. Didn't know if this was something you had tried or were planning on doing but figured it might be worth mentioning since this is a material I'm pretty familiar with.

8. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anemis has made a few transformable costumes. Have you seen his stuff (it's on his website) or talked to him about it? If not, you may find it helpful.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    thanks for the points. Yes-it's sintra~!
    I too, was in signs for many years, and actually preferred this medium over styrene, for color, price, and the fact that it does bend.

We used to use a heated strip in our sign shop, leave the sintra on the strip for a few minutes, and it bends beautifully.

Sintra's also easy to paint. I've done some tests and Fusion actually sticks perfectly to it.

10. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Very cool! Do you have to offest the boot to the inside so it's easy for the wearer to walk in? or are the boots centered in the bot feet? May have to check on that, the added weight of the costume on the wearer will lessen his/her agility I would think, and they may trip if the insides of the bot feet are close! I'm sure youv'e got hundreds of parameters to consider at every step, but you're off to a great start! :thumbs2: 

Let me know when ya build one for a 6 foot 7 inch, 310 pounder!:D 

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    excellent point BH. I didn't think of that. I'd probably think of it after trying them on and tripping onto my face.

12. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Yeah, there's a lot goin' on there just when considering the feet. I think, though, since folks generally have a feet apart stance, it may be exaggerated a tad when the weight of the suit is on. That would actually work in your favor. Is this suit gonna "transform"? I've seen a couple cosplay suits that become "alt mode" when the wearer crouches or balls up on all fours! That inroduces a whole new set of design dynamics! I don't envy you during this build, but I salute you for making what will surely be a great suit!! I salute you with 5 bays!
    :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay 

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    oh yes, it will transform.

14. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

WOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!
    *Rhinox555 disappears in a vaccuum of space and time*

15. Rhinox555

I will have Ravage hunt you down and maul you if you don't. :-D

16. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    This is gonna rock.

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    which one? I'm not scared of that ugly pile of wires they posted as concept art for TF2: ravage. It better be the G1 one that jumps on me.. and growls then runs away.

18. Rhinox555

Err, G1 Ravage, Beast Wars Cartoon. Frikkin Robo-KGB agent dude.

19. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Man, I can't wait to see this finished!! Holy crap, how will you make this with such a short deadline???!!

20. yoyoball27

yoyoball27 Well-Known Member

so its not a spacific transformers. its just "A transformer car"
    or is it, i dont know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.