Ultimate Spider-man: Clone Saga

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by JD, Aug 6, 2006.

1. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Who's reading this? Who's confused? Who wants to make wild speculation?

Discuss.

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Honestly, I'm loving it so far. It's everything I enjoyed about the 616 Clone Saga initially (multiple Peters, wtf?, etc) with none of the fat (Peter is the clone! Spider-Cide! etc).

Spoilers, now.

Ultimate Spider-Woman is a female clone of Peter Parker? Brilliant, but I'm not really sure how that would be scientifically feasible...in any case, I enjoy her character so far. She's acting like Peter would if he had been the one driven past the line of reason.

I figure the Peter that's keeping MJ in the bottle is Ultimate Carnage. It'd make sense, at least, to me. And maybe Carnage was somehow harvested by...Oscorp? Agh, I don't know.

As for Gwen's return...well, fuck. I hope this doesn't mean that MJ will die, as I'd much rather see Peter-MJ than Peter-Gwen eventually. Gwen's return, though...maybe Carnage absorbed her life essence, and when our mastermind cloner found Carnage, he just cloned everyone who he found within the slime-goop-guy-thing?

Again - agh, I don't know.

I like it so far though. It's the first time since..well, the Deadpool arc, that I've been looking forward to another issue of USM. (And, before the Deadpool arc, I had dropped the comic at #50, so nyeh. :p )

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Another fantastic issue. I said "Holy shit!" more times than I can remember. I'm curious as to what the "other peter" has in store for MJ.

Another thing of note...is the "spider-girl" using the venom suit? She did shoot webs from her finger.

4. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I never got around to finishing the USM game so I don't know what happened in the end. But is Carnage still alive?! Damn. Would've thought being dropped into that fire/well/thingamajig would've killed him/it.

As for this Spider-woman, I think this could in fact be the Ultimate version of the Scarlet-spider. Think about it: she's probably a clone, generally cares for Peter and wears a reddish costume. Ben's back!...minus the bleached hair and external organ.

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That's what I'm thinking. Very interesting so far.

And I really wish they didn't waste the name Ben Reilly on Conor's assistant. I need me a proper Ultimate version. :( 

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I think thefrozenred is onto something with Carnage. He must have been found because and used as the cloning basis. Carnage is based on Peter, it has parts of his natural self, his Spider self, Gwen, and probably even more people that it killed. Now I have to go back and read.

As for the ULT Spidey game, I don't think it has any relevance on the comic, no matter what bendis says. It was supposed to be the first Silver Sable but then when she was in the comic, they apparently never met. So screw it. It doesn't exist.

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This is my theory on the clones too. I think they just dumped whatever fell out of Carnage, and bam there was Gwen along with Peter. I wonder if the Spider-Woman is a Gwen/Peter hybrid of sorts. The whole webbing from the fingers had me scratching my head. I'm glad this is slated to be a longer arc, and hopefully will not be rushed. Really enjoying it so far.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

All great theories.

Here's another one. What if the "mastermind" behind all of this isn't Harry's therapist, Dr. Miles Warren (aka the Jackal in the 616, and the man behind the 616 clonings), but none other than the missing since the Carnage arc when he ran away with a sample of pete's dna/carnage, Mr. Ben Reilly?

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

SPOILER CONTINUES...

Not that I'm reading the book, but I have a couple of suggestions as to how such a thing is feasible.

First, to be truly male you must (in the human species) have a Y chromosome. In the absence of that small chromosome (containing about 30 genes or so, out of 20,000) will, by default, cause an individual to develop into a female. It is possible that, in the cloning process, to deliberately make SW, the Y chromosome was removed, a process much less difficult than cloning. This would mean SW has Turner's syndrome (a single X chromosome), which she probably doesn't, so it could be that they took a second copy of Peter's X and placed it in the original clone zygote.

Alternatively, what actually makes a male is a single gene on the Y chromosome. If that gene fails to turn on a person will develop as a female. Perhaps they found some way to keep that gene turned off.

10. JD

JD Well-Known Member

That could be why SW is so touchy about being touched (???). He's/she's so disgusted about that she doesn't...um....I forgot what I was going say...

11. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Given that Reilly ran off with a sample of parkers blood...

12. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Also, it is possible that Ben found out about Carnage and found where Peter killed it. Now, what if Ben took what remained and was able to pull DNA from that... Carnage did absorb several people, including Gwen Stacy. This would explain her revival, her memories, and the female in the black Spider costume. Though Spider-girl could just be corrupted Parker DNA that was mixed with Gwen's.

I'm just wondering how Gwen's going to live a normal life... if she is still normal... if she is really Gwen and not a "suit" with a sense of self taking the form of Gwen.

Either that or Peter got into Aunt May's old hippie brownies and is having one hell of a trip...

PS> Some theories provided by Devz ^_^

13. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perhaps Ben Reilly is working for Dr Miles Warren?
    That way you still have 2 of the players from the 616 Clone saga still involved.

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    What if it's someone who we'll never expect? Who just bought the Peter blood from Ben and salvaged Carnage's remains? What if it's Brock, Connor or someone at SHIELD?

But all these spoilers just make me even more sad that my local comicshop doesn't carry Ultimate Spiderman anymore. :cry 

15. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    Well, if it is S.H.I.E.L.D. they are so screwed if they are doing it without Fury knowing about it. I mean, Reed already distinguished that Fury was telling the truth about no one at SHIELD doing any cloning... that he knows about anyway. I can't see Connors having ANY part in this. He messed with Peter's life enough with the whole Carnage/Gwen thing... and didn't he turn himself into the authorities after that?

Reilly is definitely at the head of this thing... or at least near the top. Still the female clone is bugging the crap out of me... so is Gwen. Don't get me wrong, I was pissed they killed her off so quickly, but now that she's sorta back... I hope she sticks around for a while.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I hope they don't use this as an excuse to kill of Mary jane

17. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    I HIGHLY doubt that. MJ's death would destroy Peter mentally. He's barely holding it together with the clones... now Gwen is back. The Death of MJ would make him go nuts and destroy what makes him go on.

18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Clone or not, I hope they keep Gwen around much longer this go around. Also, I thought Carnage was "Peter's Father". I thought Peter thought Carnage was turning into him, but it was really a younger version of his father? Anywho, anyone else think the Peter that's been around since Ultimate Spider-Man 64 is actually the clone? And that's why the fight between Pete and Carnage was told as an odd looking flashback? teehee

19. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I think Peter was trying to say Carnage looked like his father when it took more of a human form. It was a combination of Peter and Dr. Connors DNA plus some of the research from the Venom project. And no, I don't think Peter is a clone. Although I do kinda think the 'Peter' we saw with MJ might have been Carnage...

20. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    so what issue is out?

i spent the past couple days reading Ultimate Spidey [98 issues in like the past week :p ]