Ultimate Optimus VS Jetwing Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tgg7979, Aug 16, 2011.

1. tgg7979

tgg7979 I want the matrix

Ebay:
    I saw Ultimate last night and was far more impressed with what I saw in the box than what I expected to be. To anyone who has both, is Takara's Jetwing worth the extra cash? I wasnt gonna buy Ultimate but Im tempted now. If Jetwing is worth it, I may not but Im not sure now. Open to all opinions here.

Edit:My emphasis would be more on bot mode than alt mode.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your thread title makes me want to bash two of each into each other repeatedly and see who comes out more intact.

I want neither, so I don't have much to say. I handled Ultimate at TFCon, he is certainly...large! He's also very pretty in alt mode.

Jetwing is more film-accurate in bot mode, but his alt mode is...a thing and he's very close to something I own already (Leader Prime).

In conclusion I don't know. You could get like two-and-a-half Ultimates for the price of importing one Jetwing though, so you could budget in something else cool and "settle" for Ultimate. :p 

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    sounds more like you want the Ultimate Optimus Alt mode with Jet wing's bot mode :p 

4. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I have both Ultimate and Jetwing Prime and both are equally bad-ass for different reasons and worth picking up individually.

Ultimate Prime is HUGE and simply MASSIVE, but the downside is the little head... Just do that mod that Peaugh did and that helps with its overall appearance... At the very least and on the plus side, you'll have a Movie Prime with a trailer.

Jetwing Prime is much more Movie accurate and looks very impressive when holding the gattling guns. Is it worth the money? Depends, if you like the ROTF Prime mold. I, for one, think that mold is the definitive Movie Prime and that alone is worth it. I, too, was not happy to shell out the dough for it, but once I bought it... I was glad I did.

You, Sir, are left with decisions... Enjoy!

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want lots of things that are impossible! :p 

Actually, even that particular bit of impossibility wouldn't be film-accurate. The DotM Trailer Armory is literally too cool to make into a toy.

But even if the perfect flying movie OP was out, I simply don't want that enough to pay a massive premium for it. Leader Optimus already looks awesome, takes up space, and cost me a whole $20. He is in some kind of flying mode for a total of 15 minutes in the whole trilogy, and that counts the time he spent tangled in cables.

6. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ultimate Prime for Alt Mode, Jetwing for Bot Mode is how I have them displayed.

And I don't regret shelling out for Jetwing AT. ALL. He is freaking AWESOME!!!

7. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I have both and Jetwing hands down Ultimate has the silly head and huge forearms.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Nothing Wrong with Prime wanting to Tango....

... ok that was bad :p 

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

AFter seeing the Ultimate in box i really liked what i saw so i am gonna get it soon. As for the Jetwing Prime. I have stuff on preorder that the money is better used for than Leader Prime with some mods and jetpack. (even as awesome as said Leader Prime with mods and jetpack are).

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if i had to pick ones, it'd be the wings set, how ever i wished there was a voyager set!

leader class just doesn't fit too well with anything from DOTM :( 

11. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jetwing superior
    Ultimate inferior

(Especially when the company you ordered it from screwed up your order and didn't charge you for it.)

12. Ejicon

Ejicon Well-Known Member

I have an Ultimate Prime and would love a Jetwing Prime because he looks bad@$$ with his guns.

13. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I'm going to wait for UOP to get on sale before I get one... Jetwing is the best so far, IMHO.

14. raindance

raindance Experimental

I've got both and I'm with CURAMEN. He pretty much hits the nail on the head. Ultimate is the center of any Prime collection. He just is. He's so damned big he has to be. And Jetwing, well if you want the most badass looking, movie accurate Prime there is, it's Jetwing. But then I love the ROTF Leader Class Prime mold. I've got them all including Buster. Ok, screw it. I just love Prime. If I was female I'd have his babies.
    -rain-

15. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I swear this question gets asked every few days so I'll try to summarize what I posted last time :eek: 

-In my opinion, the robot mode and combined mode for Ultimate Optimus is a little silly. In addition to the look I refer to as "Fairy Prime," you lose all sorts of articulation in the combined mode Hasbro is trying so hard to sell you on so it cuts down on playability too.
    -I would've been ALL over Jetwing Prime if it had Buster Prime's paintjob. The jetwing pack has amazing detail but I'm a little disappointed Takara didn't add more paint apps onto it. It reminds me of a movie-style version of the Animated Wingblade Optimus which I really like as well. I just can't justify the going price for it right now. I personally could justify it 100% if it had Buster Prime's premium paintjob though.

I hope I'm not coming off as mad or irritated -- I really just meant to summarize a longer post I made about this. My post is COMPLETELY subjective so I hope I don't give you the vibe that Ultimate Optimus is universally hated. I do think the alt mode looks really good but I just don't dig the rest :) . You should definitely check out some review videos on it because you take the plunge on either figure though.

16. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Jetwing is not worth the extra money. For completists only imo.

17. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Ultimate Optimus. Fun to play with and looks really badass