Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins for PSP!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gigatron_2005, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I have been noticing a serious lack of discussion about this game all over the internet, and now its time to fix that. I picked up my preorder today, and am loving this game so far!

The gameplay nice and difficult (especially on Arcade mode). However I have been seeing this game getting low scores from reviewers who complain about the controls. The controls feel exactly the same if you have ever played a GnG game before. My theory is that these reviewers have played too many sissy games like Grand Theft Auto, and are blaming the controls for them just plain sucking.:p  Anyway, there are three modes of play "Novice", "Standard", and "Ultimate"; so I feel that almost everyone out there should find a good, fun, platforming challenge. :) 

Additions to the classic gameplay include new weapons, and finally a system that gives you several hits on your armor before you're totally screwed. In the lower two difficulty modes, you respawn where you die as opposed to random checkpoints or the begining of the level. There is also a magic system which can be quite usefull when you get overwhelemed with enemies and need some quick help to buy more time.

Now for the pretty stuff. For those who dont know, the game is 3D on a 2D plain (like New Super Mario Bros, Viewtiful Joe, etc) and it looks just plain awesome! It retains the classic look and feel of (at least) the SNES version (I have not played the orrignal GnG in ages), yet manages to have a nice slick 3D update for this era. Maybe Michael Bay can learn something from this. Also, I recognize remixes of classic GnG music which is a very nice touch and adds nicely to the nostalgia.

Now for the bad. Im not finished, but I fear this game is really short. However, I have read some things about the game that mention multiple endings, so hopefully that will keep things interesting. Also, it seems that you need to collect these hard to get rings to get past some levels or bosses or something.

Anyway, its a fun game that I would recommend to fans of side-scrollers and old-school games. Look into it a little more if you're not sure about it. It seems that the difficulty really can turn people off of this game.

The firmware on the game is 2.6. So homebrew should be coming soon seeing as how an exploit was found in firmware virsions 2.00-2.80 with kernal access on all but 2.80. So no complaining about forced updates on the UMDs. :p  ...well, maybe a little.

Did anyone else get this game?? Discuss!

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

don't have a psp, but I was (am) a huge fan of ghouls n ghosts for the genny and the super one for the snes. they were HARD. good old-fashioned we-ain't-got-no-save-points games that make you work for your ending. loved 'em, but it seems like it might be a good idea for the masses that it's a shorter (easier?) game.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Well, I forgot to add that this on has save points too. Which is a good thing, because the PSP is just so damn uncomfortable over a long period of time.

But off the top of my head, I wouldnt call Arcade mode easier than the previous games. The lower two difficulties are much easier than what I've played of the Arcade mode (Im currently playing on the medium difficulty then dabing around in the most difficult mode) However, I would think of the difficulty modes as "Normal", "Easy", and "Very Easy" from my experience with the classic games all those years ago. :p 

So yes, addapted for the masses, but also great for those of us that love things from back in the day. :D