Ultimate Extinction...what a disappointment...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by LigerPrime, Jun 2, 2006.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone here read the final issue of the series? I found the series to be so disappointing...the pacing, the plot, the "new" Galactus etc...bah! What a waste of $ and time! :rolleyes2 

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I liked it. I've liked the whole trilogy, really. And I liked the entire new approach to Vision, 'Silver Surfer' and Galactus.
    Extinction in particular also seems to have done the best job of any of the Ultimate crossovers of not only mixing the characters from the indivual books well, but getting all the characters 'right.'
    Without giving anything away, I was particularly impressed with the end for that very reason. The Ultimates, X-men (Jean and Xavier at least) and FF/Richards are all doing separate things at once but toward a common goal. Nobody seemed out of place or character.

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I agree, it was pretty terrible. The story expanded much too slowly, and then ended too abruptly. I never really got a feeling of impending doom when reading the comic; maybe if Gah Lak Tus had destroyed a city or something first, yeah. But, as it stands, the only unpredictable things were the multiple Silver Surfers (whose true intents/motives we still don't really know), the "baby big bang," and the hordes of clones, and in the case of the last, it felt like a pointless idea to simply generate a massive fight where there would ordinarily not be one.

And on that note, why introduce Misty Knight? It turns out that her character did NOTHING relevant to the storyline, except find the first Moon Dragon.

This series was just a train wreck. Extinction gets 1 out of 5 stars from me, and the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy, as a whole, gets zero. It was really all that bad. Don't pay to read it.

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

The entire trilogy is good, you have to read it all together. if you read any part by it self, its weak. but as a whole its good.

5. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yes on the crazy thing is that the first 2 arcs were good but like thefrozenred said, the ending was kind of abrupt for me and there was never any feel of impending doom for the earth.

However, I do agree that I liked the way how the heros worked togather. E.g. Professor X working with Fury and Reeds.

6. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    See, I'm of the opposite opinion to SPID; I thought Ultimate Nightmare was decent in the beginning, and had a great ending, but the middle 3 or 4 issues were just bogged down by bad pacing and a lack of more substantive shocks.

Ultimate Secret...well, Ultimate Mahr-Vell was the only good thing to come out of that arc. I'm thankful I didn't have to pay for it.

Couple those two with Ultimate Extinction, and although the trilogy has some nice segments...I felt it was an overall mediocre storyline.

However, it DOES set up (and leave the possibility open) for an Ultimate Silver Surfer mini/full series in the future. I like that part.

7. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

While I thought this trilogy was pretty good, it could have been a lot better. As others have said, they stretched the story out too much and ended it way too quickly. I really didn't like that Gah Lak Tus was a collective mind. I hope there is one true Galactus still out there somewhere that those machines report back to. The Silver Surfer(s) were pretty cool although I had hoped one would rebel to help fight against Gah Lak Tus. Maybe that can still happen in the future.

8. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    The more I think about it, the more I realize that U:E was a really poorly planned series. Did we REALLY need Misty Knight to monopolize massive segments of several issues in an already constrained series? Did we REALLY need Moon Dragon and all her clones?

If anything, U:E tried to be too much, and thus didn't focus enough on the important stuff to end up being entertaining.

9. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Yeah, U:E was a train wreck. The threat of Galactus turned out to be much scarier than the actual appearance.

The only decent thing about the last issue is the last page, where Nick Fury gets in two zingers.

-XCN-

10. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I havent gotten the rest yet i got the nightmare book gotta get the other two. Ellis in my opnion always reads better in trade as opposed to single issue. So I was waiting for the other two to come out in trade and then grab them.

11. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I'm waiting for the Trade on all Ultimate Universe stuff. Nightmare was a bit confusing the first time because of the dark panels and quick cuts between teams. It really wasn't a good thing to read while sick in bed. But I loved it on my second read. Ultimate Secret was a great little arc. Anything featuring Ultimate Nick Fury is great. I also loved all the characters chosen for it. Ultimate Vision (Thankfully they released it as a freebie on Marvel.com. I love the digital comics section.) would have been perfect with one more line.
    Vision: "I am called the Vision, but my true name is Jocasta."
    She resembled 616 Jocasta much more than 616 Vision.

12. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

it was ok, like others have mentioned it doesnt really end with much of a climax and too much time was spent developing inconsequential characters. I really enjoy cap in the ultimates, but he seemed more like 616 cap in these warren ellis books, same goes for iron man.

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Dude, I too prefer the Ultimate version of Cap compared to the 616 universe's version...but as thefrozenred mentioned...my conclusion remains unchanged...Extinction was excuted very poorly compared to the 2 previous arcs before it...

Ultimate Galatus reminded me of the machines in the "Matrix" flims...

14. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Did anyone else like how, essentially, Xavier "wounded" Galactus by sending him thoughts of love and happiness?

One of the things I kind of like about Galactus is that he isn't really a BAD guy. He's just a poor sap that has to eat planets to live, and if you buy into the "Rising Storm" arc in Fantastic 4 from a while back, he's a guy possessed by an energy that exists only to consume the universe (or something like that). In U:E, he's just...mindless, really. Just a bunch of drones...we don't even get an origin.

Ugh. (Again)

15. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

QFT. The biggest problem with U:E (and really, the whole trilogy), is that there's absolutely no way to identify with the villain.

I mean, the concept of faceless machines coming to Eat Your World is fine ... but 616 Galactus was never a faceless machine. He was a tragic CHARACTER, which made the conflict that much more interesting.

-XCN-