Ultimate Bumblebee Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ViceGripX, Aug 9, 2007.

1. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Are his doors supposed to be flush with the sides? I can't get them to stay like that, and can anyone provide a pic of the correct way to stow his door cables?

2. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I realize the ginormous price tag is because of all the electronics, but somehow Ult BB isn't as satisfying as previous huge-ticket items like Unicron and Primus, or for that matter all the recent Leader class TFs.

Transformation is relatively simple but difficult to do, and mostly shellformer-type with some partsformer elements since the arms and doors are completely removed from the motorized ports in car mode. Everything is built around the central block of electronics and gears which really limited what they could do in terms of complexity even compared to standard deluxe class TFs. And yeah, you gotta force the doors in to make them sit flush.

The animatronics fail to excite me. It just doesn't do all that much per button press, though I don't know what kind of performance you could have this guy do that wouldn't seem cheesy considering it just waves its arms and turns its head. If you like posing your toys this robs you of that except for the legs and fingers. The missile barely shoots a foot and is fiddly to get it back in. For some reason I expected that the car mode was motorized, instead it just senses when you push it and makes engine noises and play music. If you push it forward really fast and then stop it suddenly, it makes screeching brake sounds. "Whip it" makes no sense here, could it at least have used song clips that were used in the movie?

It's okay if you have money to throw around and want it just to say you have one. If you're looking for fun factor, the price to fun ratio can't stand up to that of just about any other TF of recent years.

3. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

My other thread isn't getting any love, so I thought I'd ask my questions here:
    -Is there a specific way to get him to say specific sound clips, like getting him to only play music, or to get him to say phrases? What I'm basically saying is: what triggers his voice, what triggers his music, etc, in both modes
    -Are the knee joints misassembled? Seems to go the wrong way

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Also, how do you arrange the wheels without the arms, 45 degrees to the side, and the wings getting stuck?

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

He make's leader Brawl look tiny

[​IMG]

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Jebus Cripes. He's enormous. And yet still looks vaguely stumpy. Hrm. I blame the oversized thighplates.

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Yeah, take off the thigh plates and he looks thin. Anyone know about the questions?

8. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Anyone notice his knees are assembled wrong? They're on the wrong legs, time to fix.

9. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Can the headlight panels on his chest rotate up like on the Deluxe version?

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

The bottom part(the panel with the headlights) can turn up, and the sides of the chest can lift and seperate(ba dum cha?) and angle toward the center

11. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

the gun arm just ruins it for me, otherwise definitely a clearance purchase, because with a little work you could gut him and improve articulation and have a nice little ( er, huge) MP Bee

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did not notice until I got home, but I only paid $29.99 for Ultimate Bumblebee. Apparently it came up as the cyber stomping BB. Go me!

Awesome toy. Obviously deluxe concept BB looks cooler but this guy has a lot of play value. I have not listened to everything yet, but I am glad I got him, especially for the price.

13. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd buy it for $29.99... But not the 70-80 it's retailing for now...

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

LOVE that first pic of him with the mini-bots.

I think he's decent, but that there is a greater negative side to him though. Wasn't as unimpressed as I was expecting. The cannon arm kills me though, it looks horrible, is too short, and needs an elbow joint (oh and mine doesn't even fire the missile when you press the button and he raises to fire) Is this Ultimate or FAB?. The full arm is awesome and two real arms would have made so much better of a figure.

The transformation is actually pretty darn cool for a large TF. No 3-year old level transformation like cybertron starscream. The sounds in alt mode are decent and suitable but the sounds and lights features in bot mode are very disappointing. I can't even tell that it supposedly reacts to lights and sounds, and am tired of hearing whip it over and over again (the flapping of the wings is sort of cool though).

Overall I'd give it a 7/10. It is different, and refreshing ideas with TFs is always a good start. Unfortunately, too much got sacrificed (like the arm, clunkly mid body and proportions) in the name of electronic motion, lights, and sound that isn't really even really cool at all. The main bad thing about the figure though is the price, which leaves buyers wanting way way more than this figure provides.

15. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Funny that with all the talk about what he does it's all about the bot mode. His alt mode rocks! you push the Autobot symbol and he starts his engine, and as you roll him he revs it accordingly. If you stop him fast, his brake lights turn on and he has a tire screeching sound. If you drive him over bumps and such, he makes sounds like he's hitting stuff. If you leave him alone for about 20 seconds, he starts playing some radio sound bytes and shuts off the engine, then hits a car alarm 'bleep-bleep' and the lights match.

My son absolutely loves the car mode. My wife and I shoot him across the room, engine roaring and my son chases after him laughing uncontrollably. I know you can get a toy car for about ten bucks that makes noises, but BB is really awesome. Just thought I'd mention that there's more than just the bot mode gimmickry

16. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

A sorta undocumented feature is that if you hit him in bot mode, it'll make battle noises. During transformation, it'll have transforming noises. In car, as Otispq said, it'll have hitting noises. I've gotten him to react to sound in robot mode a few times

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What is this knee swapping thing peeps are talking about? Please elaborate.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Size comparison with OS & barricade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I don't know if it's just mine, but look at the gray knee parts and compare them to the box. Before the swap, mine couldn't bend it's knee the right way.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After having him for a couple days I have had a chance to spend more time with him. Who is the voice actor for the toy? He sounds like a normal guy talking to you from the bottom of a well, or down a long hallway. He sounds pretty bored actually. I wish they used some one different with some emotion.

"Whip it" plays more than anything. Followed by the Transformers Theme (like a more upbeat Mutemath version). I have also heard a generic country song and 80's punk sounding song. All of which are very unimpressive. I like the toy and transformation (I do wish he came with an interchangeable hand for the cannon arm), the electronic motion is cool but the sounds are just plain weak.

For the price point I think you should at least be able to hook an MP3 player up to him so you can at least listen to some cool music while he flaps away.

This is one of those figures that was almost awesome, but failed. The sound and music choice is what kills it for me. I think Beatmix Bumblebee does a better job in the sound/feature department for half the price.