Ultimate Bumblebee Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ViceGripX, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ViceGripX

ViceGripX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

As of the time of this writing, Ultimate Bumblebee, from the Transformers movie toy line, has started to show up at stores across the US. I managed to find one thanks to a tip from a fellow member of these boards (thanks, brucemny!) at a Target about 20 miles out of my usual area of searching. I stopped by a more convenient one first, but they had none and told me to check back later or the next day and while I could have done that, I decided to take a trip to where I was sure there'd be one. And one there was. I think it's odd that I can't find the $10 version of this toy, but had little trouble tacking down the $80 version.

[​IMG]

As with most larger Transformers, Ultimate Bumblebee isn't transformed correctly in the box. After 20 or so minutes of cutting twisty-ties and clear rubber bands, you have to slide his "toes" out and attach the doors to the back, which is hard to do as the back of the hood isn't folded into it's rear configuration to allow the doors to clip into place. Once that's done, Ultimate Bumblebee is ready to talk your ears off if you let him.

[​IMG]

Ultimate Bumblebee is huge. He's taller than G1 Overlord, 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, and Armada/Energon Unicron. Beast Machines Supreme Cheetor and the various Fortress Maximus toys are the only toys I can think of that are taller. He's pretty well articulated too. He has full hip movement, limited waist, knee, and ankle pivoting, his neck turns, shoulders rotate and swing out, full elbow movement, pivoting wrist action, pivoting fingers, and a ball-jointed thumb. The kicker is that the neck and shoulder movement is limited by the electonics.

[​IMG]

When switched on, Ultimate Bumblebee comes to life with voice, sounds, and music. Pressing the Autobot emblem on his chest starts the chatter-fest. You can keep pressing it to cycle through him telling you that you're his first human friend, the Decepticons could be anywhere, we have to protect the Allspark, etc. Leave him be and he'll move his arms and wings while turning his head from side to side, eyes lit up in Autobot blue. He reacts to your voice and motion, though I've not been able to determine if any particular sound or motion triggers a particular motion. Holding the button down will get Bumblebee to play an updated and abridged version of the original cartoon theme song.

[​IMG]

If you transform Bumblebee with the power on, you'll be treated to a modified G1 transformation sound throughout the process. I don't know what triggers the sound, but it seemed to be when I disconnected something major, like the arm from the shoulder or compacting the legs. The process is rather lengthy, so I turned the power off about 1/3 of the way through.

[​IMG]

In closing, Ultimate Bumblebee is really fun, though I forsee a few of these breaking if smaller children play with him. There's a lot of stuff that pops off and on easilly enough, but he can be challenging enough that some breakage could occur. I'd like to see another version of this toy without the electronics so that I can pose him without worrying if I'm going to break the gears and whatnot. It'd also be interesting to see what they could do with an interior with the electronics gutted. Maybe even give him some clear windows. As he is, I think he's worth the $80 retail considering the amount of electonic-funtime they've packed in there. I am tired of hearing snippets of Devo's "Whip It" already and I've only had him for half a day.

2. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Cool review and pics, man. I was against Ultimate BB, but after seeing the pics, I MIGHTTTT change my mind.

3. ViceGripX

ViceGripX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you. I wasn't entirely sold on UBB until I saw him in person. He may not be perfect, but he can be a lot of fun despite the electronics.

4. Optimal Optimus Prime

Optimal Optimus Prime The Ultimate Prime

I still think he looks like crap in comparison to the 10 dollar one.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I really like him, the price is a bit more than I would have liked (my wife) to pay but he's a very solid piece. His missile scared the crap out of my cat which was worth the price alone.

Also the chest can be TFed in a few different ways that aren't shown in the instructions.

[​IMG]

Thats how I currently have it. I'm a little worried about scratching the stripes but nothing rubs directly. The light still shine through the headlights to.

[​IMG]

6. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

I ordered a 20th prime but I'm debating whether to cancel and pick this up instead

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I'd probably recommend 20th if I weren't a kid, but if you love animatronics, get this guy. If you're buying the 20th DVD Prime, cancel it. Lots of paint chips, crappy stand, and the yellow on his head:yuck 

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'd much rather throw the money down on DVD Prime than Ultimate BB.

9. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

My friend has the prime and hasnt told me about any paint chips with him yet. I figured if I have MP megatron and hes holding up, that prime would moreso

10. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Wow, those pictures are just laughable. Worst TF product I've seen in a long time.

11. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I don't know what to think of this thing. The pre-release pictures made it look like an MP-Bumblebee. I saw it in a store and it looked like a fisher price alternator. I dunno.

12. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll get then when its on clearence. becasue we all know this will be a hard sale with that price tag.

13. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I have it, and it has tons of chips in the cag section

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just bought him yesterday, but the electronics don't work.
    May need to send him back unless I can figure out where the problem is.

This toy is a MONSTER

15. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

heres a vid of some of the thing he does. I like how he shoots the missle himself....the only thing that is annoying in the vid is the mechanics being so loud and the transformers song playing all over again

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  16. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I got mine yesterday, I just don't like how the transformation is too simple for his size, his little butt backpack, unable to be transformed correctly - chest. It disappointed me though some of the animatronics were very cool. I'm selling it on eBay.

Little ? I mean HUGE butt backpack.

17. Megaracertron

Megaracertron Well-Known Member

I got mine today!! He is pretty cool but is slightly disappointing and the legs are a little loose he likes to do the splits if you push down to hard. If you have tons of money pick him up. If you dont, wait to see if he goes on sale dont get caught up in the transfomer frenzy thats going on right now. Hopefully there will be some but you never know with transformers these days.

18. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Make sure the arm is clicked in all the way or it may not work. If it does NOTHING then yeah, it's jacked up.

Do you puch them up and to the side, simalar to Barricade? When mine is standing right he solid. Overall I like the guy. The car is awesome and I still can't find a deluxe. Maybe $20 or so too much, but I had the money with the drought of other figures since the beginning of june. And my kids love it, and he seems sturdy enough I let them play with it.

also :lol  at the guy shooting his cat.

19. Megaracertron

Megaracertron Well-Known Member

I did get it stand better with a little work. I had to really fuss around with the missile Launcher to get to fire by itself. I am starting to warm up to it now, I guess you just have to mess around with it for awhile to get it just right. Its does look pretty good in my Bumblebee collection.

20. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I just saw this guy today, even my dad wants him...